Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

burger1
x3tc

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by burger1 » Mon, 10. Aug 20, 21:42

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 10. Aug 20, 22:18

Probably, but first to OEMs (although OEMs have already had something similar, perhaps more proprietary). ASRock announced an ATX12VO board in May.

Rumours say that Ampere/NVidia's 3000 serie might have a 12-pin (600W) power connector instead of the 6-pin/8-pin ones. Unrelated to ATX12VO, but will probably add life* to PSU-landscape.

*Grumpy old man: "Life is bad. Dead is better."

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 11. Aug 20, 19:19

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-53736468
The UK's first Dutch-style roundabout has had to close for three nights after it was damaged by a hit-and-run driver.

The £2.3m roundabout on Fendon Road, Cambridge, which gives priority to cyclists and pedestrians, was damaged the day before it officially opened on 31 July.
Other than the amusement of a roundabout being closed before it officially "opens" (operating with temporary traffic lights :o ), it cost £2,300,000 as well - up from the original estimate of £800,000. Blimey - what a bargain :D
Interesting about giving way on exit - imagine that'll be a new one to most.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 12. Aug 20, 01:13

So we have had some thunder and lightning here tonight, it has been going on for probably around the last 3 to 4 hours and it is just a constant rumbling of thunder and flashes of lightning every 1 to 3 seconds. I have never seen anything like it before. The lightning itself isn't like the lightning we normally get, as it is just dancing along in the clouds, and there is no rain. Normally when we get lighting it pours down with rain while the thunder and lightning rocks every 5 to10 minutes or so flashing it's way to earth, but normally it isn't even as bad as that. This is something else, it's pretty spectacular but scary at the same time. it reminds me of those television pictures of a war scene, where they are constantly dropping bombs on a city where all you see is the persistent flashes and bangs of the bombs going off. As I said I've never seen anything like this before and I'm no a youngster I've seen a few storms over the years.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 12. Aug 20, 02:46

Nvidia might be announcing Geforce Ampere on Aug 31, 2020 or Sept 1, 2020?

https://www.techradar.com/in/news/nvidi ... on-its-way

Amazon Prime has added video games to prime

https://www.businessinsider.com/prime-g ... itch-prime

felter wrote:
Wed, 12. Aug 20, 01:13
So we have had some thunder and lightning here tonight, it has been going on for probably around the last 3 to 4 hours and it is just a constant rumbling of thunder and flashes of lightning every 1 to 3 seconds. I have never seen anything like it before. The lightning itself isn't like the lightning we normally get, as it is just dancing along in the clouds, and there is no rain. Normally when we get lighting it pours down with rain while the thunder and lightning rocks every 5 to10 minutes or so flashing it's way to earth, but normally it isn't even as bad as that. This is something else, it's pretty spectacular but scary at the same time. it reminds me of those television pictures of a war scene, where they are constantly dropping bombs on a city where all you see is the persistent flashes and bangs of the bombs going off. As I said I've never seen anything like this before and I'm no a youngster I've seen a few storms over the years.

unplug your computers maybe? Power bars aren't that great against lighting strikes or power surges.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 12. Aug 20, 04:45

Were not too bad here as there are no overhead powerlines, they are all underground, so the chances of them being hut by lightning is pretty slim. I'm not saying it's impossible to happen, but it is pretty improbable. And it is still going on though, it's not quite as frequent now maybe every 10 - 60 seconds and it started to rain about an hour ago. The weather is pretty much screwed up nowadays.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 12. Aug 20, 06:08

burger1 wrote:
Wed, 12. Aug 20, 02:46
Amazon Prime has added video games to prime

https://www.businessinsider.com/prime-g ... itch-prime
Slightly misleading there--they've basically just rebranded the "Twitch Prime" thing they've had going for the last four years and made it available without you requiring to visit Twitch to get it. Benefits are otherwise the same, as far as I can tell.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 17. Aug 20, 22:54

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/vp-nw- ... story.html

Well, how about that? Mystery solved. The Roanoke inhabitants didn't just disappear, they left the settlement with the Croatoans to Hatteras Island and lived happily ever after.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 21. Aug 20, 20:27

I do love these emails:
Gооd mоrning!

I'm the sоftwаre engineer whо hаcked intо yоur device's оS.

I've been оbserving yоu fоr mоnths nоw.
The аspect is, yоu've been infected with mаlwаre viа the аdult website yоu visited.

If yоu аre nоt fаmiliаr with it, I'll explаin.
The Trоjаn infectiоn gives me full аccess аnd cоntrоl оver yоur cоmputer оr аny оther device оn yоur netwоrk.
It meаns thаt I cаn see everything оn yоur screen, turn оn my cаmerа аnd micrоphоne, but yоu dо nоt knоw аbоut it.

I аlsо hаve аccess tо аll yоur cоntаcts, sоciаl netwоrking dаtа аnd аll yоur emаil cоntаcts.

Why didn't yоur аntivirus detect аny mаlwаre?
аnswer: My mаlwаre uses а driver, I updаte its signаtures every 4 hоurs tо keep yоur аntivirus silent.

I hаve mаde а recоrding shоwing hоw yоu sаtisfy yоurself оn the left side оf the screen, аnd оn the right side yоu see the videо yоu hаve gоt wаtching.
With оne click, I cаn send this videо tо аll yоur cоntаcts within the mаil аnd sоciаl netwоrks. I cаn аlsо publish аccess tо аll yоur emаils аnd messаging аpps thаt yоu use.

If yоu wаnt tо prevent this, аt thаt pоint:
Send $500(USD) tо my bitcоin wаllet (in cаse yоu dоn't knоw hоw tо dо it, then type in tо Gооgle: "Buy а bitcоin").

My Bitcоin Wаllet: 17qDAwWhKtmanXSqPSdwZQJfNxayZDumzW

аfter getting the pаyment, I will erаse the videо аnd yоu wоn't heаr frоm me аgаin.
I will prоvide yоu 50 hоurs (mоre thаn twо dаys) tо pаy.
I see yоu're reаding this emаil аnd the timer stаrted yоu оpened it.

Timer id: -Envirоnment.TickCоunt-

Dоn't аttempt tо аnswer me. It dоes nоt mаke аny sense (the sender's аddress is creаted аutоmаticаlly).
Filing а cоmplаint sоmewhere dоesn't mаke sense, becаuse this emаil cаnnоt be trаcked, аnd neither cаn my bitcоin аddress.
I dоn't mаke mistаkes.

If I find thаt yоu shаred this messаge with sоmebоdy else, the videо will be distributed immediаtely.
Gооd luck with thаt.
They said they don't make mistakes, but they sent it to me, so that's one mistake. I traced it back to a mobile internet account out of Russia, which is pretty unusual. While bitcoin wallets are maybe a little bit hard to trace, they can be shut down. So of course I have sent this one on to National Cyber Security Centre (ncsc) so they can close the wallet down and protect stupid people that fall for it. I have to say he doesn't have any film of me playing with myself, especially as I don't have a camera fitted to this computer, but even if I had been, so what put it online if they want I wouldn't care.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 1. Sep 20, 19:51

It looks like the used graphics card market might take a dive at least in the short term depending on how the 30xx series fares in reality. Georce 3070 is apparently faster than the 2080ti and msrp $499 usd. 3080 msrp $699 usd.

https://youtu.be/E98hC9e__Xs?t=1864

Also some new programs from Nvidia. NVIDIA Reflex, NVIDIA Broadcast.

Evga also has a 90 day step up program just an fyi in case you want to upgrade and have recently purchased an evga card.

3080 vs 2080 (?) game benchmark. Might not be 100% accurate overall since nvidia chose the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWD01yUQdVA

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 3. Sep 20, 09:43

I don't know if it is worth of own thread, so I post it here and eventually wait for mods to decide:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54003014
What do you think about Alexei Navalny's poisoning? The blogger is one of the "strongest" opposers of Russian president Vladimir Putin, apparently poisoned with a chemical called Novichok, already used for some ex-spy or generally people critic about Russian establishment (especially in the person of Putin himself).

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 3. Sep 20, 14:23

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 3. Sep 20, 09:43
I don't know if it is worth of own thread, so I post it here and eventually wait for mods to decide:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54003014
What do you think about Alexei Navalny's poisoning? The blogger is one of the "strongest" opposers of Russian president Vladimir Putin, apparently poisoned with a chemical called Novichok, already used for some ex-spy or generally people critic about Russian establishment (especially in the person of Putin himself).
Typical? Unsurprising? Expected? How many critics of Putin have met with "unfortunate accidents" now? I've lost count.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Thu, 3. Sep 20, 21:52

If it was really a tried assassination by Russian secret service they did a surprising unsuccessful job.I also wonder what use a martyr would have for Putin.
More interesting are the reactions by western politicians. The North Stream 2 gas pipeline has always been a project of high controversy in the past. Especially since the American government has tried repeatedly to keep that thing from happening so the US can export their gas from fracking to Europe.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 3. Sep 20, 23:50

Cpt.Jericho wrote:
Thu, 3. Sep 20, 21:52
If it was really a tried assassination by Russian secret service they did a surprising unsuccessful job.I also wonder what use a martyr would have for Putin.
More interesting are the reactions by western politicians. The North Stream 2 gas pipeline has always been a project of high controversy in the past. Especially since the American government has tried repeatedly to keep that thing from happening so the US can export their gas from fracking to Europe.
It wouldn't be the first time their assassination attempts failed. However, martyrs have little if any impact on Putin. The people can't vote for a dead guy and every opponent of his has been killed or incapacitated. And not just opponents, vocal critics, activists, anyone who speaks out against the dictatorship masquerading as a democracy are frequently killed or imprisoned or just mysteriously disappear.

Western politicians have the same reaction to North Korea's assassinations, and what do they export? Refugees? Sure, there's an interest in getting European nations off of Russian gas exports, but reactions to FSB assassinating Putin's critics have little if anything to do with that.
rebellionpac.com

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Fri, 4. Sep 20, 00:15

Still, the only side benefitting from Navalnys dead would be the American petrochemichal industry.
The whole thing is fishy and I'm not convinced that Russia is the culprit this time. Seems all too convenient for the West.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 4. Sep 20, 00:22

Cpt.Jericho wrote:
Fri, 4. Sep 20, 00:15
Still, the only side benefitting from Navalnys dead would be the American petrochemichal industry.
The whole thing is fishy and I'm not convinced that Russia is the culprit this time. Seems all too convenient for the West.
Really? So the dozens of times, he and his supporters have been arrested, his disbarment from running for president are also just "convenient" for the west? Trying to silence a popular Putin critic is just burdensome for the shirtless horseback rider that has his people plant artifacts that he can amazingly discover and have pop songs written about him? Not to mention he was poisoned with the same type of nerve agent that was used in the attempted assassination of Sergei Skripal in 2018...

Occam's razor
rebellionpac.com

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Fri, 4. Sep 20, 00:56

Yes, really. Navalny has been in coma for less than 2 weeks with the info that it really was poisoning just been published and Russia being the culprit without any hearing, judge or even evidence does sound convenient. Especially if that certain pony riding autocrat does not really benefit from the death.
As I said, it's fishy and western secret services can do the same trick if they want to. Using a poison invented in Russia isn't proof for Russian involvement. And THAT is the only lead that leads to Putin for now.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 4. Sep 20, 01:01

Cpt.Jericho wrote:
Fri, 4. Sep 20, 00:56
Yes, really. Navalny has been in coma for less than 2 weeks with the info that it really was poisoning just been published and Russia being the culprit without any hearing, judge or even evidence does sound convenient. Especially if that certain pony riding autocrat does not really benefit from the death.
As I said, it's fishy and western secret services can do the same trick if they want to. Using a poison invented in Russia isn't proof for Russian involvement. And THAT is the only lead that leads to Putin for now.
Well if that's what you wish to believe there, comrade, go for it. The rest of the world won't buy that but you do you.
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 4. Sep 20, 08:54

Both USA and Putin have something to gain, in theory. I'm inclined to believe Putin did it, for his history of "silencing" any opposer (be it a politician, a journalist or anyone).

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 4. Sep 20, 09:16

Don’t ya have to think if the US was gonna knock off a Russian that it’d be Putin? I know he’s Trumps presidaddy, but Trump isn’t the US.
rebellionpac.com

Return to “Off Topic English”