Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Rug
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by Rug » Mon, 14. Sep 20, 22:13

Or possibly this should be worthy of it's own thread !

Is there life on Venus ?

Amazing if it is the case. I guess the task now is to prove that such gas can be produced in sufficient quantity without life, in order to close the possibility down. One to watch perhaps ?

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Mon, 14. Sep 20, 23:21

Rug wrote:
Mon, 14. Sep 20, 22:13

Is there life on Venus ?

Amazing if it is the case. I guess the task now is to prove that such gas can be produced in sufficient quantity without life, in order to close the possibility down. One to watch perhaps ?

Rug
I'm most certainly gonna keep tabs on that one, very interesting, if indeed they send a probe and indeed they find bacterial life, would be utterly mind-blowing, it would imply is life very persistent and emerges in the most unlikely of circumstances. That would be very awesome to find out during my lifetime.

On a very different note but it also blew my mind:

A guy in the Netherlands has been acquitted of a DUI, he maintained that he hadn't touched a drop even though there was five times the limit of alcohol in his blood. He got checked at hospital, turns out he has "auto-brewery syndrome", his body converts sugars into alcohol....

Man the weird things our fragile bodies can be afflicted with.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 15. Sep 20, 00:29

Rug wrote:
Mon, 14. Sep 20, 22:13

Is there life on Venus ?

Rug
Yeah, this is a really interesting finding and some great work. Geochemists are gonna have a fun few years trying to come up with a way of producing all this that doesn't involve life. If I had to guess, there is a non-biological explanation - this seems a lot more likely to me than a sulphuric acid tolerant alien microbe, but I sure hope it ends up being that!
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 15. Sep 20, 21:56

If I had to guess, I'd say that life is prevalent on most all planets and we better figure out our planetary protection policies involving probes, but most of all involving human visitors. There is no point planing to send humans to places like Mars, unless we are very certain that life or some form of viral sub-life doesn't exist there. This also applies to the Moon in my opinion.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 15. Sep 20, 22:25

Nasa has a whole department wrt to Planetray Protection, this is standard behaviour.

MFG

Ketraar

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 02:33

Ketraar wrote:
Tue, 15. Sep 20, 22:25
Nasa has a whole department wrt to Planetray Protection, this is standard behaviour.
Yes I am aware of various national agencies holding that role, but they don't have much teeth against emerging human exploration. My concern, is we will discover too late, that we have wiped out some indigenous life form, or inadvertently, they will wipe us out.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 13:25

My thinking is that we might find life on Venus and get all excited about it only to find out much later that it originated on Earth
and was transmitted there on one of the various probes we sent out in the '70s.

Yes we are careful now, but were we as careful then because if not then we are busy building a massive lock for the stable door when
the horse made his escape fifty years ago.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 13:32

brucewarren wrote:
Wed, 16. Sep 20, 13:25
My thinking is that we might find life on Venus and get all excited about it only to find out much later that it originated on Earth

Yes we are careful now, but were we as careful then because if not then we are busy building a massive lock for the stable door when
I agree, but the fact terran life survived decades would be an exceptional discovery too.

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 14:46

brucewarren wrote:
Wed, 16. Sep 20, 13:25

I think that's highly unlikely. There's no Earth life form that would survive the dehydrating effect of Venus' acid clouds. And even if there is one, the probability that such an obscure organism finds itself on Venera would be nigh on impossible.

If these organisms exist (and that's a huge if) - it's likely a remnant from the Venus' cooler past. But still, the discovery of phosphine - both in quantity and at the altitudes measured is very interesting. I hope that Venus missions now move up the priority list...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 16:08

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Wed, 16. Sep 20, 13:32
I agree, but the fact terran life survived decades would be an exceptional discovery too.
Survived decades in the absolute Hell that is Venus' atmosphere, for that matter!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 24. Sep 20, 13:06

Old electronics can apparently baffle modern engineers.
It took 18 months to figure out that starting a TV can choke broadband in a village.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54239180
:lol:

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 24. Sep 20, 15:50

jlehtone wrote:
Thu, 24. Sep 20, 13:06
Old electronics can apparently baffle modern engineers.
It took 18 months to figure out that starting a TV can choke broadband in a village.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54239180
:lol:
hmmmmmmmmm.... I wonder how portable of an EMP like device that could be made into.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Thu, 1. Oct 20, 16:37

should be getting a 3080 later today, keen to see X4's 4K performance gonna be quite a step up for me from a 980Ti hopefully Zen3 will nudge the CPU bottleneck up a bit too

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 1. Oct 20, 19:03

BigBANGtheory wrote:
Thu, 1. Oct 20, 16:37
should be getting a 3080 later today
Two weeks from order? That is quite good, considering all the "Xenon (bots) bought them all!" and the "el cheapo caps!" stories that surround the 30-series launch. X4 warns me about my 970, but I don't see a problem. :roll:

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Thu, 1. Oct 20, 22:19

holy Moses its fast, 4K everything maxed and it wants to push 110fps :o

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 3. Oct 20, 19:11

It looks like Amazon is launching Amazon Luna streaming game service. Might be the same as Geforce Now or maybe something like Stadia since there's a controller available?

https://www.amazon.com/luna/landing-page

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 5. Oct 20, 01:49

burger1 wrote:
Sat, 3. Oct 20, 19:11
It looks like Amazon is launching Amazon Luna streaming game service. Might be the same as Geforce Now or maybe something like Stadia since there's a controller available?

Did you notice that there are actually two streaming services there, as there is also the Ubisoft one, no price for Ubisoft but it will probably be around the same as Amazons price. Eventually everyone will have their own streaming service, where it will be the only place you can only play their games, and it will be 6 bucks for each one. So you will have Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Blizzard, Take Two, Microsoft and all the rest all wanting at least 6 bucks a month.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 5. Oct 20, 08:38

Why would the likes of EA go to the time and effort of setting up a streaming service, with all the associated costs, if they're only going to get a measly $6 per month from it? That's a bit more than *one* game per year bought through the normal methods, even ignoring DLC and microtransactions.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 5. Oct 20, 08:48

felter wrote:
Mon, 5. Oct 20, 01:49
burger1 wrote:
Sat, 3. Oct 20, 19:11

Did you notice that there are actually two streaming services there, as there is also the Ubisoft one, no price for Ubisoft but it will probably be around the same as Amazons price. Eventually everyone will have their own streaming service, where it will be the only place you can only play their games, and it will be 6 bucks for each one. So you will have Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Blizzard, Take Two, Microsoft and all the rest all wanting at least 6 bucks a month.
I've noticed this trend but Microsoft just announced that EA's subscription service is being included in MS's Xbox Game Pass. Don't know off hand if that applies to PC as well. Game pass covers both console and PC but not sure about the EA part of it.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Lenah90

Post by Lenah90 » Mon, 5. Oct 20, 14:24

I really don't like game passes... It is probably great for people who play regularly. But I hardly use my xbox during busy work weeks. Still curious to see what EA will do.

Return to “Off Topic English”