[3.20] BUG - Ship's turrets aiming at empty space

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SunSnake
x4

[3.20] BUG - Ship's turrets aiming at empty space

Post by SunSnake » Wed, 17. Jun 20, 18:41

There is save with situation: my nemesis near Xenon K. Both turrets have order to attack my enemy. And both turrets aiming at empty space, not at K.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApeyhIHW0gHOgdZjnwj ... g?e=Yxw7Rq

shanrak
x4

Re: [3.20] BUG - Ship's turrets aiming at empty space

Post by shanrak » Mon, 13. Jul 20, 18:59

I've observed this issue regarding a K as well from my M ship.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 13. Jul 20, 19:29

That sounds like this issue and the devs have promised an improvement in 3.30.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

shanrak
x4

Post by shanrak » Mon, 13. Jul 20, 20:59

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 13. Jul 20, 19:29
That sounds like this issue and the devs have promised an improvement in 3.30.
I was the one who reported the other issue, but I thought that was a specific station only issue due to the turrets being far away from the center mass of the zone and has nothing to do with ship turrets. Though I will be happy if fixing that issue will also resolve this issue. :D

numerialized

Post by numerialized » Wed, 5. Aug 20, 19:09

I am still having this issue at 3.3

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 5. Aug 20, 22:09

If you're still seeing the problem if 3.30 then you'll need to provide a savegame to demonstrate it, as the case linked above has been resolved and we don't have much chance of solving any remaining cases if we can't see them happening. :)

numerialized

Post by numerialized » Fri, 7. Aug 20, 20:52

Yes, sure, if it will help fix turrets. But let us make one point clear, is this really a "me" problem? I am seeing turrets often aiming way off the mark -especially on larger ship targets- depending on the shooting ship's orientation on all videos .
I also do not know how to pass a savegame file

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 7. Aug 20, 23:50

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 5. Aug 20, 22:09
If you're still seeing the problem if 3.30 then you'll need to provide a savegame to demonstrate it, as the case linked above has been resolved and we don't have much chance of solving any remaining cases if we can't see them happening.
Unfortunately I managed to capture just the save in 3.30... Been meaning to post it for a few days now. This post might need to be broken out into its own thread given that the original reported issue is likely solved.

ZYA Defence Platform firing at a FAF Rattlesnake. Most (not all?) of the turrets are firing at a point offset significantly away from the Rattlesnake hull and as such are missing. The Rattlesnake does eventually die, but it should have died near instantly given how much fire was being thrown at it but at the wrong place.

Image where it can be clearly seen that the point the turrets are aiming at is offset. The Rattlesnake was turning on spot so it is not like it was drifting or performing an evasive maneuver. The offset point is relative to the Rattlesnake hull, as such when it turns the appropriate transformation occurs to the target point as well.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoPPb71eIiXpgfdn1qJ ... A?e=XA1ov4

Save file. The above image can be seen without moving from the save file. Save file was loaded twice and same relative targeting offset was observed. As such I consider this consistent and reproducible from the save.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoPPb71eIiXpgfdmj1A ... g?e=qzCqQp

Both links will be valid for 1 year, or until the issue is fixed

numerialized

Post by numerialized » Sat, 8. Aug 20, 06:03

Nice. I want to add that, how the shooting turret misses depends on the ship's(or station's) orientation. I have seen some cases where the shooter was not missing at all when the target was directly ahead of it(like not port siding or starboarding the target)

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 8. Aug 20, 23:22

numerialized wrote:
Sat, 8. Aug 20, 06:03
Nice. I want to add that, how the shooting turret misses depends on the ship's(or station's) orientation. I have seen some cases where the shooter was not missing at all when the target was directly ahead of it(like not port siding or starboarding the target)
Yesterday I observed this as well. With the rattlesnake the offset seems to be based on the ship roll. As I rolled my ship in one direction, the offset moved further away from the hull. I have video evidence of this that can be provided if needed.

yourkidding666

Post by yourkidding666 » Mon, 16. Nov 20, 18:22

Hi there! - The Bug is still persistent in 3.30

I experienced a similar behavior in combat with a XENON I wich is rather unfortunate, given the slow speed of large plasma projectiles (that I used for increased range). It takes twenty seconds or so to find out that all plasma shots gonna miss its target. I could only retreat and attack from a different angle. The bug seems to get worse, when between 3 and 6 KM range.

In addition: While clearing sectors of XENON stations, I experienced a similar big when turrets fire on XENON solar power plants. All turrets seem to fire at the center of the solar panels section, although there literaly is a hole in its center between segments. So all shots miss. This was replicatable with L and XL capital ships.

Quick-Fix: The turrets could be set to fire at the current cursor position instead of the auto-aiming, giving the play more control over their shooting angle. F2-view would be perfect for this. Just a suggestion for a quick fix :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 16. Nov 20, 18:43

CBJ wrote:
If you're still seeing the problem if 3.30 then you'll need to provide a savegame to demonstrate it, as the case linked above has been resolved and we don't have much chance of solving any remaining cases if we can't see them happening. :)

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 00:29

Imperial Good wrote:
Fri, 7. Aug 20, 23:50
CBJ wrote:
If you're still seeing the problem if 3.30 then you'll need to provide a savegame to demonstrate it, as the case linked above has been resolved and we don't have much chance of solving any remaining cases if we can't see them happening.
Unfortunately I managed to capture just the save in 3.30... Been meaning to post it for a few days now. This post might need to be broken out into its own thread given that the original reported issue is likely solved.

ZYA Defence Platform firing at a FAF Rattlesnake. Most (not all?) of the turrets are firing at a point offset significantly away from the Rattlesnake hull and as such are missing. The Rattlesnake does eventually die, but it should have died near instantly given how much fire was being thrown at it but at the wrong place.

Image where it can be clearly seen that the point the turrets are aiming at is offset. The Rattlesnake was turning on spot so it is not like it was drifting or performing an evasive maneuver. The offset point is relative to the Rattlesnake hull, as such when it turns the appropriate transformation occurs to the target point as well.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoPPb71eIiXpgfdn1qJ ... A?e=XA1ov4

Save file. The above image can be seen without moving from the save file. Save file was loaded twice and same relative targeting offset was observed. As such I consider this consistent and reproducible from the save.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoPPb71eIiXpgfdmj1A ... g?e=qzCqQp

Both links will be valid for 1 year, or until the issue is fixed
Maybe it's not exactly relevant to the subject of the topic, but some time ago I reported this type of problem.
In this case it is not about the turrets, but the main fire of the small ships.
In fact, they point towards the target to be hit (a Xenon station turret) but do not fire at the exact moment, missing the target and, after turning, they shoot into space.

This report of mine has not been minimally considered and yet it is still a serious problem.

I hope that all these issues are fixed with 4.0!
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Fri, 20. Nov 20, 16:47

This will be fixed in an upcoming update.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 20. Nov 20, 18:28

Note that DocAce is referring to the turret aim point issue detailed in Imperial Good's posts.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 16:50

Is this a general fix or only for the Rattlesnake? I observed similar issues fighting a Branch 9 Destroyer I with an Odysseus where the PAR L Plasma turrets were aiming considerably offset from the Branch 9 I despite both ships being stationary and not turning. I also observed a ZYA Defence Platform shooting at an offset from an ARG Behemoth Vanguard which was also practically stationary.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”