Unveiling X3: Farnham's Legacy – a new chapter for an old favourite

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Sorkvild
x3tc

Re: Unveiling X3: Farnham's Legacy – a new chapter for an old favourite

Post by Sorkvild » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 19:21

I'm super excited for this and I've never given up hope for something new for X3, I know that something official will come up sooner or later :) Oh and XBtF theme used in the trailer hits the spot.

May is going to be really special not only because of new adventures for X3 but also because of Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered coming in late May. Those will be my two hot games for this year spring season and beyond because both titles have a great replay value.
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 05:37

This is brilliant news!!! Just brilliant!!!
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

MegaBurn
xr

Post by MegaBurn » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 09:09

Ketraar,
Thanks, sounds good.

Do drone carriers produce drones directly, or are drone wares produced by factories, or bought from shipyards?

Can other ships deploy DC drones? (e.g. fighter drone mk3, keris mk2?)

Does the FL plot involve a tour through unknown sectors, like the Unfocused Jump Drive, or like Random Sector Management via gate hacking?

On the new SE and MD stuff, I'll volunteer to help with documentation on the wiki.

On diplomacy, is it the same large races as AP, or more smaller factions?

I meant the old race system is kind of monolithic and limiting for relations among smaller groups (especially hostility between groups within a race, e.g. rival pirate gangs). A more granular faction system, with some simple rules and supporting logic, would allow for more nuanced and dynamic role-play. There are lots of "facade factions" defined in corporations, jobs entries, stock market listings, old BBS news, pirate gangs, Xenon groups, member sectors of the Argon Federation, Split Families, local sector authorities suddenly cut off from their parent faction, etc - each could be a faction (maybe excessive). Freelancer had a faction system a little like this (albeit smaller than X3), but there are probably better examples.

Need beta testers?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 10:12

Drone carriers don't create thier drones internally, they are created by your headquarters. However the drone carrier will use the HQ to replace drones automatically

MegaBurn
xr

Post by MegaBurn » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 14:40

Cycrow,
Thanks, didn't expect HQ usage.

If my questions are annoying please says so, I see modding as part of the game, a creative sandbox, but I don't want to scare off regular players.

Anyone else seeing Freelancer every time "FL" is mentioned?

-Burn

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 15:20

Thank's for this Egosoft.

I've just started a new AP game a while before this easter egg announcement, and am around the 250 hrs into it - which as we know is just warming up really - so this news is awesome. Just ... awesome, awesome, awesome so awesome. Did I say awesome? yep. Bloody Awesome! really really unbelievabley fantastically awesomely GREAT STUFF EGOSOFT!

Anyway, thanks.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

fisher 2000
x3ap

Post by fisher 2000 » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 02:05

I'm curious about the new ships we are getting. Did the team take any inspiration from any of the mods out there? I personally use Caduis's Xtra ship pack because of how lore-friendly the ships are! (not including the two mass effect ships) I really love the baldric super freighter XL that he made. I know he planned on releasing a Yaki expansion to his mod years ago, but I think life got in the way.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=308762 - Here is a link to the ship expansion mod for TC/ AP if anyone is interested.

When will we have details on the new ships? Thanks again for all the work the devs and team have done on this! I can't wait.

Old Drullo321
x4

Post by Old Drullo321 » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 09:50

I'm curious if X3FL addresses and/or extends some of the X3TC/AP exploits or basic scripts, e.g.:

Do we have a stock exchange (i don't mind if we don't) and are some of its exploits fixed (e.g. manipulating stock market via some TL with 1MJ shields for infinite money)?

Do we have access to the same basic scripts like Mk3 and bonus package? Are they improved (iirc there were some pitfalls with blacklisting) or fixed (iirc certain circumstances could cause a modify tag)?

Are there QoL or balancing improvements to certain aspects of the game outside of ships, e.g. marine training time, crashing of large ships at gates, appearance of tuning crates (only in UJDS with small chance, too tedious)?

Are there improvements to basic stations to be able to change or expand goods capacity?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 09:59

The stock exchange is available but has been adjusted so its more difficult and takes longer to make money from it.

All the ship commands from AP are there and most have been updated and improved, except for the ones from the bonus package, which is not available

There are a number of new ones available too, specially to help manage your stations/complexes, some of these replace the functions from the old bonus pack

Lots and lots of QoL improvements

Khadafi
x4

Post by Khadafi » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 11:24

Can we expect any engine optimization like multicore support or at least some late game performance optimization?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 11:31

Multi-core support is not an "optimisation". :D That requires a complete new game engine (which, funnily enough, is what X4 is all about), so no, that is not in this game. There have been some small optimisations to performance, but those were already rolled out to X3TC and X3AP in the last patches issued for those games, back in 2017. Note, however, that CPUs have moved on and that performance will generally be better on today's systems anyway.

naisha
x4

Post by naisha » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 16:27

Not sure if this was mentioned/asked before but will this new expansion/game/whatever have some sort of UI scaling?

Not sure if ill be able to play this (as much as i want to) if there will be no ui scaling

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 16:47

There won't be any UI scaling feature.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

kentronic

Post by kentronic » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 20:38

If I can run AP on my junky old laptop do you think this would run too? Or is it going to be too heavy for some older computers?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 20:40

If you can run X3AP on your laptop, you can also run X3FL on it. System requirements haven't changed. :)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

UnknownObject
x4

Post by UnknownObject » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 18:45

So exciting that good ol' X3 is still alive and grumpy old-timers such as I (joke) can have their portions of nostalgia!

M4s in X3TC and X3AP were pretty useless. Have you rebalanced them?
Мир всем народам на свете.
Нам не нужна
Война!

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 19:13

Will the personal account accumulation threshold be increased to more than 2,000,000,000?

aquatica
x4

Post by aquatica » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 19:17

^
32 bit application couldn't handle it, I think... Not sure if there is any possible workaround for that?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 19:30

alexalsp wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 19:13
Will the personal account accumulation threshold be increased to more than 2,000,000,000?
That was already done back in X3AP. ;)
X3AP - A Survival Guide wrote:
Tue, 13. Dec 11, 15:59
Player Credits

Who wants to be a billionaire?
Player - Your account can now hold 2,000,000,000,000,000,000 credits instead of a measly 2 billion.
Other - Station accounts and individual transactions are still limited to 2 billion.

fisher 2000
x3ap

Post by fisher 2000 » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 21:37

I'm curious if some issues from X3AP have been addressed.

- I seem to remember that the Terran economy would grind to a halt without mods. I remember it was always one of the first things that I had to do when playing the game back in the day. I also seem to remember that one mod added some missing Terran factories to the game that the player could not previously purchase.
- Are the war sectors now safe to travel if the player is out of sector?

I guess that not everything can be released right now but I'm just full of excitement to learn more about this game. The Terran's was one of my favorites.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”