PK in X2OL

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

th0ne
x3

PK in X2OL

Post by th0ne » Mon, 6. Sep 04, 22:12

well i just read some topic i found on the link list aabout this, and i didnt agree with what a lot of ppl sayd (which is to have PvP servers etc etc) i think PvP should be just like atacking another ship in X2 a few shots is OK but any more means you get like all the ships in the system after you (maybe have more large M2's around 2 police), and if it is made harder to have this kind of firepower yourself then does that not solve the problem.

of course in pirate sectors there would b ittle or no protection so going thu there would b a sizable risk
--SLAVERY IS FREEDOME--
--WAR IS PEACE--

Some Strange Man
x3

Post by Some Strange Man » Mon, 6. Sep 04, 22:49

For combat, the only reasonable balancing I can think of is standardised ships. I mean more wrt weapons vs shields vs speed/maneouverability.
Also, Disabling certain functions on turrets.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 00:05

Could someone explain to me what this thread is about because i'm really not sure what they're talking about.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 00:12

I think I'm right in saying they are referring to player killing (PK) in X2OL (more correctly X-OU, i.e. Online Universe).

th0ne
x3

Post by th0ne » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 00:53

well put CBJ lol i was half way to the "reply" button when i saw ur post lol
--SLAVERY IS FREEDOME--
--WAR IS PEACE--

Sparhawk81
x3tc

Post by Sparhawk81 » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 01:02

Well, IMHO, PvP should be freely allowed in X-OU... I mean... Pirates, exist. Space pirates exist too... and they usually don't need to ask for a permission to attack...

Of course, they do it at their own danger: attacking a neutral ship with a Bayamon in Argon Prime should be suicide... still, players should be able to do this, without having the whole sector firing at 'em: on one hand, neutral NPC ships could decide to let the pirate be (who knows, maybe a pirate attacking an Argon Mercury in Argon Prime could be even appreciated by the Split Dragon who is just passing by...), while on the other hand police and sector defence should immediately start chasing the aggessor (provided that the victim ship ore somebody else is close enough to hail for help)...

th0ne
x3

Post by th0ne » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 01:04

oh yeh sorry when i sayd "the whole sector" i kinda ment all the the police forces and race (as in governament or whatever) owned ships
--SLAVERY IS FREEDOME--
--WAR IS PEACE--

Sparhawk81
x3tc

Post by Sparhawk81 » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 01:17

:) No problem at all...

Just memories from other online games... sometimes too restrictive with criminals... and that's a BIG mistake, 'cos almost everybody has dreamt at least once to be a pirate or something like that...

ProditorCado
x3

Post by ProditorCado » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 01:23

Really wish they wouldn't do an Onliner. Because unless you play constantly, you can't succeed. Also, since your stuff is there all the time, it's an opportunity to get glitched.

Sparhawk81
x3tc

Post by Sparhawk81 » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 01:47

About the stations, I think they'll find some way to work it out.

About the constant presence, well... I'm afraid it's quite inevitable... but on the other hand, Online gaming would add a fourth dimension to the X Universe that can be everything but bad: as far as I see it, playing X-OU will be "easier" than playing other online games...

Why do I say this? Because we are already used to X-BTF, XT and/or X2... and I don't think you can easily manage to obtain a Titan already in the 3rd day of play (without cheating and playing a couple of hours per day)...

Playing online will almost be the same, I think...

It would be easier for players who have Flat-rate connections, but this has always been the problem of online gaming, and I'm afraid there's no solution... :(

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 01:51

Sparhawk81 wrote:Well, IMHO, PvP should be freely allowed in X-OU... I mean... Pirates, exist. Space pirates exist too... and they usually don't need to ask for a permission to attack...
here, here.

My view is that attacking an innocent ship in a govenment controlled sector should have severe concequences with that govenment, be it revoked docking rights, huge rep hit and/or a taskforce kicking you out of the sector. Of course the AI would have to be up to kicking players out of the sector. I suppose giving the AI a bit of an advantage in this situation would probably be acceptable.

ProditorCado wrote:Really wish they wouldn't do an Onliner. Because unless you play constantly, you can't succeed. Also, since your stuff is there all the time, it's an opportunity to get glitched.
see, I'd be quite happy with a couple of food factories in relatively safe space, and the ability to hangout with my friends in Argon Prime.

To succeed at this game you only have to achieve the goals you set yourself, and enjoy yourself.

When I try to envisage X-OU the way I see it is this forum community except that the interface we're all using is like X2 rather than phpbb

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 02:28

Unless they make fabs invulnerable its just not going to be worth playing. As soon as some wise-guy gets an M1 fabs will get blatted left right and centre.

Your TS's will get constantly destroyed as will any other ships left running while you're gone. I cant see how it'll work - there's always some punk who thinks he can ruin as many people's games as possible. Thats the main drawback of MMO's - idiotic, brainless people desperate to ruin everyone's fun.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 02:38

Greyhawk1 wrote:Unless they make fabs invulnerable its just not going to be worth playing. As soon as some wise-guy gets an M1 fabs will get blatted left right and centre.

Your TS's will get constantly destroyed as will any other ships left running while you're gone. I cant see how it'll work - there's always some punk who thinks he can ruin as many people's games as possible. Thats the main drawback of MMO's - idiotic, brainless people desperate to ruin everyone's fun.
They might be everyone else's fun, too. Saddle up the posse, pardner. We're going after the horse thieves! :P
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Somebody Else
x2

Post by Somebody Else » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 04:51

Just make the AI police force insanely good at combat, and have them pounce on any disturbers of the peace with maximum force... hardly think taking a TS or even a factory out is worth having an AI carrier group breathing down your neck. Plus, of course, make AI capital ships a little more than cannon fodder.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 05:00

IMHO in a game like X where there's always been a presumption of safety being single player, when it crosses over to MMO, many players might assume a same amount of safety, ie all my hard earned work won't get blown to bits by some nerdy 14 year old in a pirate ship.

IMHO, if someone wants to attack another player, it should adopt a few measures such as:

1) If you want to join pirates, you can only fly pirate ships and dock in pirate stations. All AI patrol ships in race sectors will hunt u down and you can't dock in AI race stations. Also, to be a pirate, you need to go thru the trial of fire to be accepted, eg some really tough mission that messes up race ranks really bad. This will mean your entire existing empire will be destroyed. Hence a big price must be paid to enter the pirate world.
2) However, to make the trip worthwhile, maybe you can setup your own pirate bases and earn money from goods traded on/off it, or have a pirate license where creds get earned from police kills. Or access to pirate-only stuff like pack-hunting missions, politcal leader assassination missions, etc.
3) Normal players who PvP are immediately branded criminals and are subject to the X-Universe laws, ie seize all property, hunted down. Bounty missions can add flavour to his aspect. Unless it's a both-party-pays agreement (eg Player X sends you a challenge. Do you accept?)

Being a pirate should carry with it all the penalties, risks and fun that a supposed pirate ought to have. All IMHO.

S. Heron
x3

Post by S. Heron » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 08:02

Give the police an insanely effective EMP-missile. It will ruin the day of any wise-guy.

The effects could go from disabling or destroying a random piece of equipment, disabling or destroying the jumpdrive and a random piece of equipment, to leaving them dead in the water without shields. The police could then go 'judge dread' on the poor sod. (punishment could be chipping away the hull until only 10% is left)

Sparhawk81
x3tc

Post by Sparhawk81 » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 21:36

Arcana75:

Agreed on the first two points. The third, IMHO, is a bit drastic: you can't limit PvP this way, also because doing this, you prevent many facets of the game. For instance, I'm a Split fighter... I should be able to attack Borons... I could lose rep with Borons, maybe a little with Argons... but my rep with Splits should increase...

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 21:47

i say if they will be a police force make them 10 times more powerful than any other ship (goverments won't sell all their most power weapons to any random person) pirates should be in X:OU it's a fun part of the X games.

We aren't the Devs, they won't look on here for things to do with X:OU when they are working on X:The Return, so lets just let the topics like this die for now.

th0ne
x3

Post by th0ne » Tue, 7. Sep 04, 21:49

i dont think it should be imposible.

hey! maybe a system where if the ship you attack does not contain a player (cotroled by a pilot hired by a player or software) then the punishment is much larger, because this would solve the problem of all your transports being destroyed! also you could have fairly minimal costs for ataking AI ships (similar to those in X2) and if a player is attacked they could use some emergency hotkey to call police forces... yes/no?
--SLAVERY IS FREEDOME--
--WAR IS PEACE--

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Wed, 8. Sep 04, 05:22

Sparhawk81 wrote:Arcana75:

Agreed on the first two points. The third, IMHO, is a bit drastic: you can't limit PvP this way, also because doing this, you prevent many facets of the game. For instance, I'm a Split fighter... I should be able to attack Borons... I could lose rep with Borons, maybe a little with Argons... but my rep with Splits should increase...
Yeah. Race conflicts should definitely be allowed. But I think it would be fairer on non-aggressive players not to allow fighters/hunters to hurt them too much too easily. If race conflicts were allowed, then the loophole would be that eg Split could pirate Boron ships willy-nilly. Also, why would a Split ship want to attack a Boron ship; aren't the races at peace now? I think it's still piracy and as such should be subject to the full extent of the law? Maybe the relations penalty wouldn't be that great compared to the affected races, eg 1% vs 10%.

Perhaps a special PvP event could be held, say a minor skirmish at Rhonkar's Clouds; "All hail Family Whi. Some moron Teladi set off a PSG at Solar Plant Alpha, causing a minor bustup between Teladi and Split forces. Split kindly requests members of Family Whi to take up arms against the stupid Teladi!"

Also, maybe a pirate incident could be an excuse to defect :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”