System Override Software - Ship Upgrade

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LORDTEMPY
x3tc

System Override Software - Ship Upgrade

Post by LORDTEMPY » Wed, 16. Nov 05, 16:58

How do I get this to work?
Spoiler
Show
This is an upgrade from the Pirate Base in Atreus Clouds.
Mentioned on page 60 of Manual with no description of how it works.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 16. Nov 05, 23:57

I too would like to know this.

Not really in a position to afford it yet but I bought it as an experiment couldn't get it to work and reloaded and forgot about it.

Be nice to know what it does. :)
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

shadowfang2
x3

Post by shadowfang2 » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 00:00

it allows u to overide the computer of abandoned ships like u would go to claim in your suit but can be done in flight from close quaters during combat or what ever.

makes a goood piece of equip for a person who caps alot

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 00:23

However, for some insane reason it's classed as illegal equipment so if you get scanned you'll either have to eject it, or have police trouble.

As a result it's not really worth the cost in my opinion.

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 05:47

Nyax wrote:However, for some insane reason it's classed as illegal equipment so if you get scanned you'll either have to eject it, or have police trouble.

As a result it's not really worth the cost in my opinion.
Wow, that's pretty stupid... unless you can cap a ship that is currently in use and force the pilot to eject. I could see how it would be illegal then.

Atkara
x3tc

Post by Atkara » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 05:57

ncc386 wrote:Wow, that's pretty stupid... unless you can cap a ship that is currently in use and force the pilot to eject. I could see how it would be illegal then.
That's something I'd like to try someday, hehe :twisted:

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 06:30

Atkara wrote:That's something I'd like to try someday, hehe :twisted:
Maybe someone will write it into a mod for the game. We can always count on the community.

girlsfavtoy

Post by girlsfavtoy » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 07:11

I don't think it's worth that much because it's more annoying getting your ship within 35m than it is to do it in a suit. The override should be at least 75m or so to claim it not wihtin 35m...

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 07:59

Absolutely! I got the Override and got scanned. I did not know what I was carrying that was illegal, so I started dropping cargo like crazy. Too late...

Really annoying. The only place where it's usefull is in Pirate space. And when you get used to ejectig and claiming (irretating as that is), there really is no real advantage to the Override. The conditions are the same...

It could be improved in several ways:
1. legalize it, and/or
2. automatically claim ship when in range, and/or
3. increase range over which you can claim the ship.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 08:18

It's illegal because only pirates have a use for it. 8)

it's a lot easier than waiting for a ship to stop, and you can cap ships while you're being attacked by fighter drones...etc.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 09:01

Yeah don't really see the point in that, especially if its classed as illegal like you say.

I quite like the new capping system, with the whole having to leave your ship thing. Makes it a little harder in one sense and a little easier in another.
In X2 I lost count of the number of times I capped a nice new ship only to have it blown up because all my remaining foes decided it made a nice target as well as me.
This way they leave it alone, you can finish them off then claim your prize when it safe.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

rageburst
x3tc

Post by rageburst » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 09:46

It's probably meant for people who want to focus more on pirating rather than playing for races.

Maybe they didn't yet finish integrating gameplay for the yaki pirates and pirates in general.

Deadweight
x3

Post by Deadweight » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 10:02

How do you actually use this - what keys do you have to press to activate it? Been playing around with it last night and but could not get it to work.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 10:34

Same way as if you're in your spacesuit: approach the ship <=30m, target and press <i> for info. On the bottom you should see 'claim'.

Cheers Euclid

Deadweight
x3

Post by Deadweight » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 11:17

Ah....tried this last night and saw a Mercury (not belonging to any race) and tried doing just that but could not get the CLAIM option to come out. Tried using comm to communicate with the pilot but no response.

I've seen a number of ships like this one just hanging around in a sector on my travels but could not claim it at all.

beefcake
x3

Post by beefcake » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 13:42

Anybody tried to claim a ship that has been hit by a disruptor missile? I will try this as soon as i can get some! That would be a good feature :)

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 13:52

I did but it does not work. Also tried to claim a spacesuit :grin: doesn't work either.

I'm sure claiming works only if there is no pilot in.

Cheers Euclid

beefcake
x3

Post by beefcake » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 13:59

Ok, saved me some time thx. Seems this upgrade is useless then, as you only save the time it takes to eject and claim... and run the risk of beeing attacked by sector police. All in all, I think It is better to capture in x3 than x2 when you fight multiple targets, as the remaining enemies will not attack the abandoned ship in x3 :)

Deadweight
x3

Post by Deadweight » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 14:14

Oh well they might improved its use for when 1.4 comes out? :lol:
Also tried to claim a spacesuit doesn't work either.
Shame no market for selling space suits eh? :P

TSO
x3

Post by TSO » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 15:58

I'm guessing this is for X3?

I got X2 and I just wait for them to eject hit "i" "s" "c" and tell it to dock at the nearest yard i can find or "C" and tell it to go to the nearest yard...

If it is X2 I guess you find empty hulls get close and turn it to basicly your control? (your races control)
"Since the house is on fire, let us warm our selves"
"Warning. We detect illegal cargo on board your ship. Please eject it immediately.... Ok everyone out the air lock! (Slaves) "

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”