Possible rebalance idea for System Override Software

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

grumman
x3tc

Possible rebalance idea for System Override Software

Post by grumman » Fri, 18. Nov 05, 19:58

I've seen a few posts discussing this upgrade, and the general opinion seems to be that it is pretty much worthless for an expensive, illegal upgrade.

What if instead of claiming a ship in the same way as from a spacesuit, there was a key you could press while in your normal view, which would use the SOS to automatically claim every empty ship within some distance? Give it a range of 250-500 meters perhaps, and I think the software would have some use. Capping with the SOS would still require more work than in X2, but less than is currently the case for X3.

Opinions?
Grumman - killjoy extraordinaire

WingC3
x4

Post by WingC3 » Fri, 18. Nov 05, 21:22

Here's my take on it....capping an abandonned ship in the suit doesn't make anyone mad. Why should remotely doing it cause the trouble? I don't think it should. However clearly, egosoft wants SOS to be illegal...so here's an idea for why it should be.

SOS is a program that at close range to an OCCUPIED ship has say a 20% chance of triggering that ship's computer system to eject its pilot against his will....even 10% chance would be ok. But when it worked it would be instant and the enemy ship would be neutralized, and not damaged. You could even still require the spacesuit walk to actually claim it...or not. The nice thing would be the low but possible chance of an instant undamaged capture. But since you'd be stealing an occupied ship, it makes sense that it would be highly illegal.

There is no reason that in its current form the SOS should be illegal...all it does is take over an ALREADY surrendered ship, and when you do it manually it's not illegal.

thoughts?

Silpion
x4

Post by Silpion » Fri, 18. Nov 05, 22:20

Actually, I find it rather good the way it is. It saves some time during capping and it's price is ok. If it would be lower, no one would use the eject-procedure.

I also like that it is illegal. The presence of it clearly says that you are planning to do something not lawful. It also encourages you to think about a way to use it without getting caught.

You can take a ship and station it in a pirate sector. If you want to drop your disguise and go on a capping route, take your pirate ship and hiss the jolly roger. If you want to be a good man again (probably with a police licence of every race) just switch back to your normal ship.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”