X3 Graphics vs EVE Online

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Excelion

X3 Graphics vs EVE Online

Post by Excelion » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 10:45

Has anyone tried to compare the graphics and performance of EVE vs X3 ?

Come to think of it now...the eye candy(graphics) and of EVE completely owns that of X3.

I mean cmon, X3s graphics simply doesn't justify the low frame rates you get.

EVE graphics and effects are far more spectacular vs X3 really. If you don't believe me you should see for yourself.

www.eve-online.com.

I know they are different games but I'm bothers me alot how my rig have to strain so much for X3 just to render something that doesn't even come close to EVE.

Don't get me wrong X3 runs fine for me with max AA/AF on. I know its hella early to rant about a newly release game. I simply can't wait for Patch 1.3 :D Hopefully they do some serious optimization and fix uber major bugs.

System Specs

Windows XP Pro
XP 3200 (2.2ghz)
X800 Pro 128MB(475/450)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
1G RAM DDR (400mhz)

Lidza
x3

Re: X3 Graphics vs EVE Online

Post by Lidza » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 12:37

Excelion wrote:Has anyone tried to compare the graphics and performance of EVE vs X3 ?

Come to think of it now...the eye candy(graphics) and of EVE completely owns that of X3.

I mean cmon, X3s graphics simply doesn't justify the low frame rates you get.

EVE graphics and effects are far more spectacular vs X3 really. If you don't believe me you should see for yourself.

www.eve-online.com.

I know they are different games but I'm bothers me alot how my rig have to strain so much for X3 just to render something that doesn't even come close to EVE.

Don't get me wrong X3 runs fine for me with max AA/AF on. I know its hella early to rant about a newly release game. I simply can't wait for Patch 1.3 :D Hopefully they do some serious optimization and fix uber major bugs.

System Specs

Windows XP Pro
XP 3200 (2.2ghz)
X800 Pro 128MB(475/450)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
1G RAM DDR (400mhz)
Dear player I really wish to see graphics like X3 on EVE... with EVE lag during combat with its current graph quality... Then if EVE had the quality that X3 has, then combat would pass directly from LAG to STUCKED.

I do agree that X3 graphs need optimizations... but compare X3 graphs to EVE?

Well I don't know how can they really be compared... its kind of saying this mini or Ford mondeo (EVE) is better than that ferrari (X3)

Eve has good graphics but not that good.

Just let me know where you see reflected objects and their colors in your Apoc plates, this is just simple example... :)

Edited:
Some of effects (such explosions) arent done or were baddly implemented on X3 I do agree with that one... :)

anyway cu online

trav
x2

Post by trav » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 12:55

Umm to play Eve online require to pay monthly, no single player, multiplayer only, and I dont like play in multiplayers, makes me appericate X universe even more.

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 12:56

and i don't know what you on what setting you are running but i can run the game on max with AA/AF enabled on 1280*1024 and i have had no slowdowns in my new game in have finished the plot so i am queit far in the game

Nyadach
x3

Post by Nyadach » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 13:15

Eve was good for its day, and as a MMOG its an utterly different genre also. It does have its pretty things, and lots of things in it also which a single player game doesnt have...but then again like all MMOG, they can't do the things a single player game can excel at like a story and bringing the user into it.

Have to admit though, Eve was fun but personally, my preference is now away from MMOGs these days as for what they make up for in social aspects, they are lacking in that full on intwined immersion into a good story that you can only get from a single player game. As well as needing the player to be chained into the universe to get anywhere, more than in a single player it can run as fast as the player has time for.

Raziaar
x3

Post by Raziaar » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 13:21

As an eve player... eve is an outdated game graphically, and does NOT look as good as x3. Not even close.

Heath Charnock
x3

Post by Heath Charnock » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 13:22

After playing Eve for nearly 18 months I don't see how you can compare the two games graphically, because (1) Eve is an online MMORG and (2) X3 incorporates all the most up to date wiz bang eye candy from Direct X 9. Yes Eve has nice visuals, but have you seen the big ships up close (particularly the space stations) the surface textures are pants compared to X3.

X3 is streets ahead of Eve when it comes to visuals IMHO.

There is really no point in trying to compare the two as they are very different types of game.

HC

Da_Imp
x3tc

Post by Da_Imp » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 13:26

Raziaar wrote:As an eve player... eve is an outdated game graphically, and does NOT look as good as x3. Not even close.
Correct. Eve might look good far off, but X3 beats that by far up close and personal. The amount of detail in X3 is dizzying.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 14:23

I would imagine the fact that in Eve you only load up textures and model verticies etc when players are in the same sector, and within a certain range as well... so usually it's very low.

In X3, you actually have AI ships flying around, which will need to be created and therefore have textures loaded into your gfx card memory.
Hence why the fps drops when you enter sectors which have AI, stations and more in them. There more objects, the harder the work/longer the time (see Argon Prime).

Go to an empty sector, and the load time is instant...

Logan Malone
x3tc

Post by Logan Malone » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 14:36

Played Eve-Online for 26 months...I been only playing X3 for 3 days and here's what I noticed so far:

I think both look pretty and all...what I look for is realistic in-game astrial physics. For example, in X3 you see the sun shinning on a planet(s) surface or on your ship but there may NOT even be a sun in the entire sector when you look around, or you see an asteriod turning and not moving in a linear direction. Another thing I see is my ships thrusters giving off a bit of dark exhaust smoke. Except for fusion reaction, there would be no smoke in the oxygen vaccum of space. Also I look at inertia of ships and objects, and there is always the wallpaper of black darkness spotted with stars in the background. Actual space is quite wide of stars appearing beside one another.

I would expect a present day space sim to mimmick these to perfection, not just give eye candy. I love playing X3 don't get me wrong, however these same graphical issues were not addressed by CCP when they originally released Eve-online.

I don't understand why X3 is such a memory glutton compared to Eve though. My system runs Eve with no issues, however X3 seems to require such higher demands and the spacial graphics aren't as realistic.

I'll have more to comment on as I explore in X3 more.

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 14:38

X3 Rulez :D
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 15:29

Logan Malone wrote:Another thing I see is my ships thrusters giving off a bit of dark exhaust smoke. Except for fusion reaction, there would be no smoke in the oxygen vaccum of space.
Who said it's necessarily smoke? It could be water vapour, created as Hydrogen is combusted in Oxygen (if that were even the fuel) yet condensing instantly once it passes into space, due to the cold temperature.

Just like you see your breath infront of your face in cold air, but not in warm... (which is water vapour), you can get the same effect in space too.

Of course, depends what the fuel is supposed to be :P

Of course, the fact my ship was on fire when I got hit by a missile was strange - but there was nothing to show the fire wasn't inside my cockpit :P However, the pretty visuals it gave were nice (albeit annoying as I could barely see what I was shooting at!).

misterSpikes
x3

Post by misterSpikes » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 17:03

Graphically X3 is the dog's danglies! After I finished X2 I played EVE for about 6 months before my PC exploded. I haven't been back to yet with my shiny new one (one week old today...awww!) but I fully intend to.

EVE graphics remind of the Homeworld series of games and like others here I just don't think you can justifiably compare them to X3, if I must though I have to say that X3 kicks the arse off EVE graphically.
Realistic physics doesn't matter all that much to me, I just want to get involved in the story. I think EVE as an MMO can provide a good player driven story, you just need to get in with the right corp, but that's for another board.

For now can anyone tell me what I need to do (apart from get another 512 ram stick) to stop X3 (patched up to date) running like a sack of poo?

System Spec:

Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21GHz
512Mb RAM
256Mb NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache

I have all graphics settings on LOW (end it still beats EVE :P )
Y'all know what the chain o' command is? It's the chain I'ma go git an' beat you with 'til you realise I'm in charge here!!!

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 17:52

Raziaar wrote:As an eve player... eve is an outdated game graphically, and does NOT look as good as x3. Not even close.
X3 easily beats the bejeezus out of Eve Online as far as graphics go. Anyone who has a hard time telling the model and texture quality apart either has an outdated video card that doesn't support some of the new cutting-edge graphics of X3 or they're just plain stupid.

serimral
x3

Post by serimral » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 18:05

The graphics are certainly crappy in EVE especially close up BUT at least I can bloody MINE.
Intel 820D
4GB 533 RAM
2 Raptor 74GB HD
ATI X800XL PCI Express
Audigy 2
Razor diamondback and Cyborg Evo
oh and a missus that moans like hell over the amount of money i spend on computers.

Crypton
x3

Post by Crypton » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 18:18

Considering how long ago EVE Was developed, the graphics are great..

X3 is much better, but X3 is also alot newer, EVE however, coded in Python, is able to get both performance and looks. I would like to see more games coded on Python, specially multiplayer games such as Space Games, seem to have a lower effect on resources and can still look great.

Both are good games, but your comparing 1900's with 2000 as far as graphics engines go :P

Evilgenius
x3

Post by Evilgenius » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 18:21

Yes X3 certainly has lovely gfx.. Pity EVE pipes it where it REALLY counts and thats Gameplay!

And really stop comparing them.. one has been realeased when DX9c wasnt even out for gods sake. I have to laugh. One person said " it was good in its day". Yes so much that the game is still going from strength to strength. Recently a new record was set with 17K players on at one time with out shards. Surely an impressive feat, but IMO eveything is much more polished in EVE. Sreu it dont have bump mapping shader pixel blah blah but it social aspect ecomony which is outstanding and for a 2 year old game to still pull in the crowds id think thats pretty special.

X3 when completely patched should be a great single player game. I think some ppl on here should actually try subscribing to Eve if just for one month or the 14 day trial just to savor what it has to offer. Both these games can live side by side you know!

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 18:34

Just kiddin', but sometimes I'm wondering if Eve Online is paying people to spam this forum about their game. :p

(no offense guys)
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Crypton
x3

Post by Crypton » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 18:37

Evilgenius wrote:*SNIP*
X3 when completely patched should be a great single player game. I think some ppl on here should actually try subscribing to Eve if just for one month or the 14 day trial just to savor what it has to offer. Both these games can live side by side you know!
^^ have to agree with that, been playing EVE since Alpha Test, well, recently have stopped playing, but I do not have the time to play everything at once, and chose to play other games such as X3, EVE though, can be fun, depends on your play style, if you happen to "make it" past the training of skills and get up to speed on the rest of the long time players, the PVP is quite enjoyable :P

hmm, come to think of it, I would love too see some devs make a third party mod for non-storyline game mode in X2/X3 such as was done in GTA (MultiTheftauto)

Not particularly for PVP, (though it would be nice to add that in as well) but also for being able to pretty much play with 2+ friends or just having a ded server to house 20 or more even. Trade, build up an empire ect.. Would be fun, doubt anyone will do it, but it can be done :)

serimral
x3

Post by serimral » Sat, 19. Nov 05, 18:46

what and add Gate camping, jump point camping and whatever other ideas that players would like to spoil your enjoyment of the game.
Lord Zap of Moo, ahhh yes the good ole days.
Nah just keep it single player, worry about the AI not some kid just out to spoil your gaming experiance.
Don't play EVE anymore but it did have one hell of an economy, certainly take my hats off to that and mining - lets not forget mining.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”