doubleshadow's X3 Editor (0.15 - patch 2.0 compatible)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Wed, 25. Apr 07, 10:12

Laureati wrote:Great tool doubleshadow. Been working on my own mod and it's been really easy to use. I'd like to make a request though. Would you add support on it for the Sounds.pck file?

Took me awhile to figure out but finally managed to unpack that file with the x2tool.exe file. Would be great if I could access it using your editor instead.

Cheers,
keep up the good work.
You may as well use X3MM to extract the file. There's not way to add propper support for such files (sounds, ware lists, videos) in X3E. Without the comments, you would be totally lost :) And I think that such files are better to edit in text editor anyway (of course not in Notepad...).

NeonSamurai
x3

Post by NeonSamurai » Sat, 21. Jul 07, 22:05

Edited: Nevermind i see the missle file layout changed since i was last modding.

But i did find a problem with editing Tshields. For shield efficiency it wont let me put a decimal value (0.00) and insists on whole numbers only. Not a big deal though as i can just edit that by hand easily enough.
Last edited by NeonSamurai on Sun, 29. Jul 07, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Wesley Franken
x4

Post by Wesley Franken » Tue, 24. Jul 07, 20:50

He,

I have a question, why is it not possible to change Tships files and all the other T-files in the XTM 0.7.2?? with the XTM 0.7 it was possible.

Greetings,
Wes

Algoran
x3tc

Post by Algoran » Sat, 28. Jul 07, 08:10

Hi, I dont know much about modding and things, but what im trying to do is fix the khaak ship models (the nose triangle disappearing when viewed up close) and i read somewhere else (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... iangle+fix) that it just requires one number in one of the model files in the cat03 file to be changed.

I understand doubleshadow's program is the thing to do this with? But when I go to the text editor and open the file mentioned there, it says something like 'cannot open, invalid T file'

Be very grateful for any help.. what might the problem be? Is this even how to fix the ship models?

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Mon, 30. Jul 07, 13:40

Algoran wrote:Hi, I dont know much about modding and things, but what im trying to do is fix the khaak ship models (the nose triangle disappearing when viewed up close) and i read somewhere else (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... iangle+fix) that it just requires one number in one of the model files in the cat03 file to be changed.
In short (you can find/ask the details): you need X3 ModManager to extract the body file. Then change the file as explained in the thread. Next you must put it back into catalog. The easy and dangerous way is to overwrite the original file. Better would be to make your own mod - instead of TShips, put inside the modified objects\v\00771.bod and activate the mod. That's all.
Wesley Franken wrote:He,

I have a question, why is it not possible to change Tships files and all the other T-files in the XTM 0.7.2?? with the XTM 0.7 it was possible.
I have no idea :) I'm lazy to download ~350MB just to get the TShips. Can you send it to me? Or ask the XTM crew to send me the file. Are you using the latest X3E version?

Wesley Franken
x4

Post by Wesley Franken » Mon, 30. Jul 07, 15:12

I have no idea Smile I'm lazy to download ~350MB just to get the TShips. Can you send it to me? Or ask the XTM crew to send me the file. Are you using the latest X3E version?
Yes, I'm using the latest X3 Editor version (the 0.0.15 or something), and I can ask the XTM team to send you the T-ships file and where should I send it to??

P.S.

You can change the T-files but it rejects to work in the game, its like you never changed it at all??

(just to be clear :) )

Wesley Franken
x4

Post by Wesley Franken » Mon, 30. Jul 07, 15:17

I have the T-ships file ready, I can send it to you as soon as I know where to.

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Tue, 31. Jul 07, 09:28

Wesley Franken wrote:You can change the T-files but it rejects to work in the game, its like you never changed it at all??

(just to be clear :) )
I never played XTM or DDRS or XFP. I never played any mod at all - beside my own.

Wesley Franken
x4

Re

Post by Wesley Franken » Tue, 31. Jul 07, 15:45

I have E-mailed the T-ships file.
I never played XTM or DDRS or XFP. I never played any mod at all - beside my own.
You should try it, I think the XTM 0.7.2 mod is a !ReAl! improvement for X3.

Greetings,
Wes

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Wed, 1. Aug 07, 08:48

@Wesley Franken - It looks like we have some misunderstanding. I thought that you are unable to open the TShips when you wrote "unable to change". However I'm able to open/save the file without problems. So what exactly is your problem? When you make a change, it is not visible in the game? If so, I doubt this is error in X3E. Maybe you are changing wrong mod? (it's not that I'm underestimating you... ;) )

Wesley Franken
x4

Re

Post by Wesley Franken » Wed, 1. Aug 07, 13:35

(it's not that I'm underestimating you... Wink )

Haha :lol:

Realy, I already did try every types map with the T-ships file and others in it, but it doesn't infect the game, I changed everything, I tried to make a sector killing missile with the hornet but it still lacks power. :?: :?: :?:

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Thu, 27. Sep 07, 03:42

I get this pop-up when trying to use the .txt editor...Can't open wrong version (47) or something like that..I have Devil installed and using .15..Any ideas?..Trying to edit the TMissles..everything else seems to work fine.

Thanks
X3..The most fun a man can have...With his clothes on.

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Thu, 27. Sep 07, 13:47

TMissile version 47 is from BEFORE X3 2.0. 2.0 changed the number of offsets each entry has, and was unreadable by the current version of the Editor back then.

With a 2.0 compatible version of the Editor, it cannot READ the pre-2.0 X3 TMissiles file, as it has an extra offset per entry, and is not usable in 2.0 at all.

Try opening the TMissiles file in the 08 cat/dat, that's 2.0.
Perfection is in the hands of God, we bags of dirt can only do the best we can©
[ external image ]
Modders are a source of ideas to help the Game Makers improve what they have made. Cherrish them, for they are the fruit of thy labors.©

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Thu, 27. Sep 07, 14:15

@Jakesnake5..Right on the money..Thanks for your help :D
X3..The most fun a man can have...With his clothes on.

Soul3dge
x3tc

Post by Soul3dge » Wed, 14. Nov 07, 03:47

I was having the same problem as Wesley, apparently altering the tships.pck but it having no effect in game.
After a lot of rooting around i discovered that Vista doesn't like programs that write information into certain folders (Program Files, Windows etc) and so it decides to create a copy of whatever your changing and stick it in to a virtual store. It tricks the app into thinking all is well but, of course, X3 reads from the correct folder while the editor is changing the dummy. I suppose its not really a problem with the editor more an issue with Vista.

I understand that if you have the editor set as 'run as admin' then it should alter the correct files but i didn't have much luck and had to disable UAC to allow it to work correctly.

Anyway just a heads up as more of us change over to microsofts latest offering its bound to catch a few people out.

Wesley Franken
x4

Post by Wesley Franken » Wed, 14. Nov 07, 20:19

Soul3dge wrote:I was having the same problem as Wesley, apparently altering the tships.pck but it having no effect in game.
After a lot of rooting around i discovered that Vista doesn't like programs that write information into certain folders (Program Files, Windows etc) and so it decides to create a copy of whatever your changing and stick it in to a virtual store. It tricks the app into thinking all is well but, of course, X3 reads from the correct folder while the editor is changing the dummy. I suppose its not really a problem with the editor more an issue with Vista.

I understand that if you have the editor set as 'run as admin' then it should alter the correct files but i didn't have much luck and had to disable UAC to allow it to work correctly.

Anyway just a heads up as more of us change over to microsofts latest offering its bound to catch a few people out.
So that is the problem, because I have vista too, quite a bummer then :(

NeonSamurai
x3

Post by NeonSamurai » Thu, 21. Feb 08, 21:38

Found a couple of bugs with your programs, including a few game killer bugs

1. TShip editing, if you directly enter weapon/missle values into the raw data areas 18 and/or 24, your program will put .000000 on the end of the number. This breaks the game as the game will be unable to read beyond this (took me almost a day of examining the TShips file by hand to find this problem), and will only show ships in game up to the last ship that doesnt have .00000 at the end.

2. TCockpits editing, Same problem with weapons as the above when editing the raw data, but also it does the same thing if you enter the number into the info tab under "possible lasers". The problem is also that it is entering .000000 after the number. This also breaks the game as the game wont be able to read the TCockpit file and will default to the weapons listed in TShips for the turrets.

3. TMissles editing, this one is a simple bug your companion mod manager program does not recognise that TMissles can be edited with your TXT editor, and instead opens it with notepad or wordpad. Manually opening it using your txt editor works fine though.

Anyhow thought you might like to know :) Its a really nice set of programs you made, and makes editing so much easier.

Btw incase anyone else runs into these bugs, this is how you fix them

1. Re-enter the numbers into the "possible lasers" and/or "possible missiles" in the "weapons" tab, or go into the "front lasers" and/or "front missles" tabs and alter the weapons list (add and remove a weapon or vice versa)

2. This one i think you can fix by going into the turret info tab and altering the weapons list. I fixed it pulling the TCockpits file out of its cat&dat file and manualy searching for and removing all .000000 entries with notepad

Lastly I hope I haven't necroed this post, I do not know if the author is still around or not, but I figured he may want to know about the bugs, and also this may be helpful to other modders who may stumble on these problems and not be able to fix them.

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Fri, 22. Feb 08, 00:40

Editing in the 'raw' area is always 'use at your own risk' behavior.

Best to use the correct area to avoid the strangeness you discovered. :D
Perfection is in the hands of God, we bags of dirt can only do the best we can©
[ external image ]
Modders are a source of ideas to help the Game Makers improve what they have made. Cherrish them, for they are the fruit of thy labors.©

NeonSamurai
x3

Post by NeonSamurai » Fri, 22. Feb 08, 07:19

True, but its much quicker that way with weapons then manually choosing them one by one for each ship your modding. You want to bash your head against the monitor after doing 25-30 ships that way. ;)

Also the TCockpits part even when entering it into the info section (in adition to the raw area) still messes up.

wolfmanjack321
x3

Post by wolfmanjack321 » Sat, 10. May 08, 13:22

All i get when trying to open up a file is Error loading from file; File contains Bad data.

I have 10 different searches going on atm trying to figure out why i am having this issue. Nothing yet

Anyone have idea's ?

What i am trying to do is change the player HQ's storage space from 500k to 5 mill But i can not open the file with the X3mm program.

Is 2.5 not supported ?

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”