doubleshadow's X Tools

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

doubleshadow
x3

doubleshadow's X Tools

Post by doubleshadow » Mon, 21. Nov 05, 13:11

This post is primary for all the X2 modders who were waiting for me and my tools so they can start really working :lol:

Here I will tell you differences between X2 and X3 and future plans of conversion of my X2 tools to be X3 compatible.

T files and X3 Editor
X3E is already out. Here is the thread. I hope that the 1st version will not be total disaster :|

T files in X3 have almost the same structure as they had in X2. Only few values was inserted in some files and the "footer" was extended from 5 to 9 values. Unlike in X2 there can also be string values presented in the T files (well maybe it was possible even in X2 - who knows?).

Egosoft has partially dropped the old numeric file naming convetion and it's using human readable names in most of body entries which is good.

TShips - they are almost the same. The major difference is that missiles are now defined via missile mask (similar to lasers).

BOBs, BODs and X2BC
X2 BOD Compiler/BOB Decompiler is partially updated to X3 BOB format. It will be released under the old name - X2BC. It's my revenge to Egosoft for not having version information in their BOB1 format and because they are still using the BOB1 header, I will continue to use the name X2BC.

BOB1 (bob) format - BOB format was extended in X3. It contains secondary set of UV coordinates (I hope it is secondary UV :o ) and also bunch of numbers which meaning is absolutely unknown to me :oops:
Also new material called material6 was introduced. It's structure is highly dynamic (it acts like array of names/values).

CUT1 (bob) format - the only change is that the body id is now a string value

Body BOD format - Body BOD format is the same as it was in X2 - except the new material6.

Scene BOD format - scenes are also the same, but they can now reference the bodies with strings instead of numbers.

BOB decompilation - because the BOD format remains the same while the BOB conterpart has changed, there are problems with the decompilation. You will loose information when you decompile the BOB file. I will probably owercome this limitation as I already did in X2 but I don't like it to have "smart" and "dumb" format.

3DS max/gmax support
DXBOX2 will be updated. I don't know whether I will release X3 version or I will update the X2 version. There is no need to make special x3 version but as X2 and x3 have different directory structure I will have to find out how to merge it.

Text XML files
They are same as they were in X2, but new pages were introduced.
page 17 is extended by page 300017
page 7 is extended by page 300007

Galaxy Maps
The basic layout is the same but new attributes were introduced and subobject ("s") can now have string value instead of index. That's good because now the maps no longer depend on the order of objects in T files - because objects are referenced by their ID instead of index.
Last edited by doubleshadow on Tue, 22. Nov 05, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

tgm
xr

Post by tgm » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 01:28

Error starting program: (X3VFS_Init): File not found: x3vfs.dll

x3vfs.dll is in the directory :?

any ideas

Crypton
x3

Post by Crypton » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 11:34

tgm wrote:Error starting program: (X3VFS_Init): File not found: x3vfs.dll

any ideas
Install the X2 runtime files (top one on the list) and grab vis basic runtime too if you dont already have them.
http://www.doubleshadow.wz.cz/index.php?p=download

Point it to your X3 Editor folder

tgm
xr

Post by tgm » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 15:58

Crypton wrote:
tgm wrote:Error starting program: (X3VFS_Init): File not found: x3vfs.dll

any ideas
Install the X2 runtime files (top one on the list) and grab vis basic runtime too if you dont already have them.

Point it to your X3 Editor folder

Still no luck getting it to run (Same Error),

Contents of “C:\Apps\X3 Editor”

Uninstall.exe____46KB____ 22/11/2005 00:11
x2fd.dll ________26KB____ 31/01/2005 12:24
X3Editor.chm___ 20KB____ 21/11/2005 07:41
X3Editor.exe _1,128KB____ 21/11/2005 07:41
x3objects.dll ____35KB____ 21/11/2005 09:21
x3vfs.dll _______19KB____ 16/11/2005 11:34

vis basic runtime installed to System32 Directory

am i missing any files?

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 16:19

Yes - you are :)

From the other thread where you've posted:
doubleshadow wrote:
tgm wrote:tgm wrote:

OK I tried it but program wont run

Error starting program: (X3VFS_Init): File not found: x3vfs.dll

any ideas
You probably don't have the C runtime and zlib1 library installation files - get it here. After you run it, choose "other directory" and select the directory where is your X3E installed. That should help. If not, e-mail/PM me.
You must download the file called C runtime and zlib1 library installation as Crypton told you as well. It's the first one on the list:

After you run it, it will give you 3 choices - pick the [other directory] and you will be able to specify custom directory. Choose either the same dir where is X3E or choose windows\system32 or winnt\system32. After installation you will see 2 new libraries: zlib1.dll and msvcr71.dll

tgm
xr

Post by tgm » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 20:28

:) Reinstalled everything in a different directory, Working now :)

:oops: must of had a noob moment :oops:

:lol:

Thanks for the help

crassmike
x4

Post by crassmike » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 21:54

I have some problems with the X2 ModManager - I have extracted the whole .DATs in the main directory with it and then I moved them away. It looks like X3 doesn't work in RAW mode :( ....

I have to create a mod with x2build.exe - if I do with the ModManager, the files are registered but not used by X3 so that I get empty textures if I try to replace them.

MfG, Mike.

Lothmorg
x3

Post by Lothmorg » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 03:33

Yeah, don't extract all the files. I found out the hard way.

Work with the latest (or make a new) cab file. This is so much easier.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 09:40

crassmike wrote:I have some problems with the X2 ModManager - I have extracted the whole .DATs in the main directory with it and then I moved them away. It looks like X3 doesn't work in RAW mode :( ....

I have to create a mod with x2build.exe - if I do with the ModManager, the files are registered but not used by X3 so that I get empty textures if I try to replace them.

MfG, Mike.
No X3 probably can work in raw mode. It's the X2ModManager problem. It names all the files with ".txt" at the end when extracting and this may be a problem. Also when you use it to add files to catalog, you must have some knowledge how to do that.

Use X2 Archiver by Mzach - you can get it here at my site as well.

I'm working on X3 ModManager which will be more "intelligent".

crassmike
x4

Post by crassmike » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 14:27

doubleshadow wrote:No X3 probably can work in raw mode. It's the X2ModManager problem. It names all the files with ".txt" at the end when extracting and this may be a problem. Also when you use it to add files to catalog, you must have some knowledge how to do that.

Use X2 Archiver by Mzach - you can get it here at my site as well.

I'm working on X3 ModManager which will be more "intelligent".
Thanks for your help :) .

Hmm I did it with the settings:

Change extension when packing/unpacking files [off]

Unpack files when extracting via Drag & Drop [off]

So there are no .pck files extracted in .txt as I can see. And when I created a new mod, I did it with the "New" button and then I added the "textures\effects\others\navjet_diff.jpg" to it - do I have to do more than this :roll: ?

MfG, Mike.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”