An alternative SOS not just "make it harder/easier"

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

WingC3
x4

An alternative SOS not just "make it harder/easier"

Post by WingC3 » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 21:38

A lot has been said about the SOS, the majority of which is something like "make it harder or easier to get/use" I think there is something inherently wrong with what it does. It's too....useless.

The SOS doesn't do anything special enough to be illegal as it is. If capturing a ship manually isn't illegal, than doing it remotely shouldn't be either.

Here's what I think would make it illegal and a hell of a lot of fun: The SOS has a 5% chance of capturing a ship that is still occupied and forcibly ejecting its pilot. It should cost over 1million credits and be highly illegal (taking one full rank if used in a race-controlled sector) (but great for getting xenon). The percentage doesn't matter, but the SOS has to be able to do something that you couldn't do any other way for it to be worth the rep damage and the financial expense. I think that would be great and fair. It would be too expensive to ruin the early game, but given that xenon don't leave their sectors now, it would make battle in them very very fun and interesting.

Does anyone else think this would be cool and fun?

banjaxo
x3

Post by banjaxo » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 21:50

Yep, sounds like fun to me!

Has anyone seen any "official" post which states that claiming ships without spacewalking is all the SOS can currently do? I spent a couple of hours trying to find something else it could be used for, to no avail, but I was hoping that there was a hidden way of using it that would justify both the price tag and the legal problems.

Oh and building on your idea, how about a good old-fashioned police chase if you successfully nick the ship?

AfroOfDoom
x3

Post by AfroOfDoom » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 22:18

I think the SOS needs to have grades like fight and trade software do.

You could have SOS Mk1, which is legal, fairly cheap (100k ish) and allows you to cap abandoned ships from inside your ship at a range of say, 50 meters.

then SOS Mk2, which is illegal, fairly pricey (500k ish) and works just like X2, where as soon as a ship is abandoned it becomes your property instantly.

SOS Mk3 would also be illegal, cost 5 million or so, and would allow you to hack into ships still being flown (use the ID graphic or something) but requires you to stay within 100m of the target for 30 seconds / 1 minute and maybe disables weapons or lowers shields or otherwise cripples your current craft.
Being as this is a BHEPT, the most powerful laser in the galaxy, and would blow your cockpit clean off. You have to ask yourself one question; "Do I feel lucky?".

Well, do ya? Punk.

Rattler
x4

Post by Rattler » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 22:19

Sounds fair to me. While we're at it, why not let us hot wire a ship in a station and steal it from there. It seems to me that I once or twice saw Brett and Julian do just this in a movie some where back in X2. I'd buy that gadget if I could do that. :thumb_up: :pirat:
Rattler

CYBERPOWER PC
Device name Gamer-G061U34
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID 5553EF88-7206-4B7B-9F22-5537F70842BD
Product ID 00325-81821-48474-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER
External Acer ET322QR Curved Display Monitor@ 1920X1089
Steel Series Siberia Blue USB Headphones and Microphone
Saitek X55 HOTAS

Alminie
x3

Post by Alminie » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 23:29

Can someone in this post tell me how you use the SoS upgrade

I have asked in a other post like 4 times and no one even bothered to say 2 words about how to use it,

what "key" /"hotkey" ETC please can someone here tell me

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 23:58

Get within 35m of the abandoned ship and press i then select claim... same as you would normally - but without leaving your ship.

Tritous
x3tc

hotwiring

Post by Tritous » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 00:37

Would love that, but only if you got a loss of reputation AND a classy chase, number and size of ships in the chase related to the class of ship you are stealing (obviously you can't hotwire bigger than a 1 man ship)

I would only do it for the chase, criteria for escape is you have to get a 3 km lead from your chasers and then dock or hop sectors. then again, they'd need special non lethal weapons, maybe weapons that temporarily make you lose control, weapons that destroy engine and rudder upgrades and tunings, and weapons that temporarily drain your power, so a combination of several hits would leave you falling into a standstill or crashing to a halt.

if they catch you, major penalties, possibily including reposession of property. (until you have 0) but then, it's all about the risk and the chase, would be fun flying, just like the opening of X2.
Give a man a fire, he'll stay warm for a day
Set a man on fire, he'll stay warm for the rest of his life ;)

Alminie
x3

Post by Alminie » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 01:24

Big Bad Orca wrote:Get within 35m of the abandoned ship and press i then select claim... same as you would normally - but without leaving your ship.
so if it does basicly what you already can do but with out leaving your ship then what is the point,
I feel it is best if the Devs would just let you claim from your ship in the first place, kind of silly to have to exit the ship to claim anyway,

all though if they made it so you can over ride a ship that was in fly like a pirate ship just takes time like 1 min to do it but you have to live that long to basicly pull it off

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”