M2 Ships should be able to dock small quantities of fighters

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should M2s hold small amounts of fighters?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 248

rustamk
x3

M2 Ships should be able to dock small quantities of fighters

Post by rustamk » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 10:05

Hi,

I hate the fact that M2s can't dock fighters now. I like most of the changes done in X3 but not this one. Adding Cargo to these ships is a huge pain now. I understand that M6s being big fighters can't really dock any ships, but M2s? They are huge, at least as big as M1s. They should have space for 3-5 fighters should they not?

I am sure that somebody is going to say "in real life battleships don't have any planes and carriers do". That is not true. Bismarck for example used Arado planes, I think 3 of them launched from a catapult. They then landed on the sea and were picked up by a crane.

I do not see the logic behind M2s not being able to dock ships.

Mods, please tell me how I can bring this thread to the developers attention.

What do you think?

Rustam
Last edited by rustamk on Sun, 27. Nov 05, 19:00, edited 2 times in total.

soleseacher

Post by soleseacher » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 10:22

Yer I do see your point on this but in X2 I used oddies equiped GPSG's so it wasn't really worth having fighters on board becouse u know what would happen if I launched them in the middle of a battle.
BOOM! :lol:

P.S
They were a law unto themselfs them thing.
Send them in and get out the bloody way :rofl:

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 10:37

That is an issue with the Oddyseus, not with the fighters, i.e. the cost you pay for Ody's PSG power.

Rustam

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 10:50

er, so they don't obselete M1s.

its not really possible to change this without changing the model.

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 11:15

er, so they don't obselete M1s.
Er, a 3-5 M3-M5 capacity isn't exactly going to make M2 into a carrier

So you are OK with flying an TS, dropping cargo, picking it up etc etc?
its not really possible to change this without changing the model.
Personally I don't care about that, as long as they can dock. In X2 you just flew the ship towards the M2 and then your ship disappeared and you went into the M2s cockpit. I'd be more then happy with this.

Rustam

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 11:20

!!!

you have a transporter device, don't you?!?!

Disappearing is lame, and if you can afford an m2 you can certainly afford a superfreighter with a jumpdrive that follows you around.

and yeah, if they can carry any amount of fighters at all, they can largely take the role of a carrier, given that x-series fighters are perfectly capable ships in their own right.
Last edited by Sandalpocalypse on Sat, 26. Nov 05, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

RaGodofTehSun
x3

Post by RaGodofTehSun » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 11:25

hmmm i just thought of something...what if instead of docking like an M1 the M2s just had a single docking arm that could dock TS M3,4,5 and while dockign arm was engaged no shields no weapons and no jumping

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 11:31

you have a transporter device, don't you?!?!
I hate the goners. I want to kill them all.
Disappearing is lame, and if you can afford an m2 you can certainly afford a superfreighter with a jumpdrive that follows you around.
It's better than nothing, and I would be really upset if the superfreighter gets blown to dust by the nearest Khaak M3.
and yeah, if they can carry any amount of fighters at all, they can largely take the role of a carrier.
Oh, I don't know. If I want to carry 60 M3s there is no way I would do it in an M2.

Rustam

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 11:33

RaGodofTehSun wrote:hmmm i just thought of something...what if instead of docking like an M1 the M2s just had a single docking arm that could dock TS M3,4,5 and while dockign arm was engaged no shields no weapons and no jumping
That would defeat the purpose of docking, as the whole point is that the cargo ferry would be carried by the M2 everywhere and used when necessary.

Rustam

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 11:35

You can't launch 60 m3s without lagging to death, and the supply tasks can easily be handled by a destroyer with a docking bay. let's put it this way - say you had 3 ships - not much point to having a carrier and 2 destroyers if 3 destroyers can hold 15 m3s.

of course the carrier would be 'better', just not better enough to rationally have a point, considering destroyers superior shielding and firepower.

as for khaak m3s, um.. not a big deal in the current balance, and you don't need to send the freighter in when its dangerous :)

as for hating the goners, fine, but surely you can loot one, at least!

Heretic666
x3tc

Post by Heretic666 » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 11:41

If you can afford an M2 then you can afford an Equipment dock right?

So buy one, then have your superfreighter dock at it with 10,000 e-cells. Dock your M2 there as well, then transfer freight using the docked ships menu.

Or even do that at any equipment dock (if you cant afford your own).

Or what is wrong with the freighter having a jumpdrive and you having a transporter device, jump the freighter to your location and beam the e-cells aboard. Then jump it back to where it was.

This is one of those 4 things the game was designed for...you know...THINK ;)

RaGodofTehSun
x3

Post by RaGodofTehSun » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 11:41

rustamk wrote:
RaGodofTehSun wrote:hmmm i just thought of something...what if instead of docking like an M1 the M2s just had a single docking arm that could dock TS M3,4,5 and while dockign arm was engaged no shields no weapons and no jumping
That would defeat the purpose of docking, as the whole point is that the cargo ferry would be carried by the M2 everywhere and used when necessary.

Rustam
I personaly use the ships to ferry larger wares up to my M2s from my fabs...what REALLY pisses me off though is the inability for the TLs to dock TSs dispite the bay

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 12:10

If you can afford an M2 then you can afford an Equipment dock right?
Equipment docks are not first on my build schedule.
So buy one, then have your superfreighter dock at it with 10,000 e-cells. Dock your M2 there as well, then transfer freight using the docked ships menu.
Can't do that with every sector.
Or even do that at any equipment dock (if you can't afford your own).
Don't want to rely on others for this. (yes it is a way out, but inconvenient)
This is one of those 4 things the game was designed for...you know...THINK
I know there are ways around the problem, but all the solutions are so inconvenient.
You can't launch 60 m3s without lagging to death, and the supply tasks can easily be handled by a destroyer with a docking bay. let's put it this way - say you had 3 ships - not much point to having a carrier and 2 destroyers if 3 destroyers can hold 15 m3s.
So... what you are saying is that M1s have no point in them anyway? :D (I know you don't really mean that)

As for your second point, doing it that way would have huge cost implications. One M1 costs 80Mil, 3 M2s cost 240Mil so it would be perfectly balanced.
I plan on owning more then one M2. If other races sold them then I would be happy, but no, only goners (they're only lie-spreading vermin, how comes they get to sell advanced tech?).

Rustam

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 12:18

rustamk wrote:
I plan on owning more then one M2. If other races sold them then I would be happy, but no, only goners (they're only lie-spreading vermin, how comes they get to sell advanced tech?).

Rustam
Well I want a paranid Odysseus, but sadly I cannot stand the paranid and therefore refuse to dock with their stations to buy their ship.
If other races sold them, then I would be happy - but no, only those paranid lie spreading vermin do.

:roll:

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 13:57

Well I want a paranid Odysseus, but sadly I cannot stand the paranid and therefore refuse to dock with their stations to buy their ship.
If other races sold them, then I would be happy - but no, only those paranid lie spreading vermin do.
:lol: No, paranid say the truth, but paranid are "Three-eyed vermin"

Yes, but the Oddysseus is sold at multiple shipyards, not just one. Also, this is different, because only the paranid use Oddys. The Transporter device (and the Jump drive and the salvage insurance) can be used by any race.

Anyway, this is a sidetrack. Tell us what you think, Chips!

Rustam

szuur
x3

Post by szuur » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 14:09

Duno with X2 u played but in my X2 u could dock 4 lil fighters with an titan the 4 fighters schips where placed on top of the titan (like underneath the centaur in x2 (1 above the rear fins 1 underneath it and 2 under the titan... so they don't dissapear

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 14:17

That was a bug. What I meant was when you dock to an M1 you have a docking bay, when you dock at an M2 the ship just vanishes.

Rustam

BOBER
x3

Post by BOBER » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 14:32

I have to wait a couple of days before I can play X3.
But not being able to dock at M2s is something I'll miss. :(

XU Vagabond
x3tc

Post by XU Vagabond » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 14:34

rustamk wrote:That was a bug. What I meant was when you dock to an M1 you have a docking bay, when you dock at an M2 the ship just vanishes.

Rustam
not realy in X2 my 4 pheniox had 2 nova onboard but they where on the under belly of the pheniox and it was the same with the titan.

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 14:50

You don't understand. In X2 when you dock a ship at an M2 or an M6 the ship was underneath the model. But when we speak of model changing we don't mean that.

Rustam

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”