DoubleShadow's Galaxy Editor Glitch?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Smokey McPot
x3

DoubleShadow's Galaxy Editor Glitch?

Post by Smokey McPot » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 00:00

I tried to use Doubleshadow's editor to change the yield of an asteroid in a system I've already visited and explored (Family Whi). I found the roind (just 2) and changed the Silicon yield from 3 to 26. Went back to game: NADA. Still 3. :oops:

I tried the same thing for a unexplored system: same result. :oops:

I tried adding an asteroid in Argon prime: same result: nothing's changed. :cry:

(and YES, I did save the modified file) :P

Edited the file in the raw form: guess what... NOTHING! :evil:

My game: normal/no story plot.

File edited: 04.cat::maps:x3universe.pck

Funniest thing ever: IT DID WORK ONCE (I did it some time ago, when I boosted an asteroid in President's end to 100 yield, and deleted all station debris). Same conditions /edited file as above. But it somehow worked. :?

OK, NOW the real treat: I restarted the game to see whether it has an inpact.... guess what....

NO EFECT WAHTSOEVER! :lol:

Does it save another map thingie somewhere else? Is there a script editor command I could enter manually from the script console in game?

One more thing: I tried editing the capital ships 04.cat::types:TShips.pck
NO EFFECT IN GAME

Edited 05.cat:types:tships.pck -> workd in game.

Could someone please explain me what's the file structure of this game, 'coz I haven't found it on this forum. Apparently everybody knows where to look for the Tships, so I had to discover myself. But this I can't figure out, although I've been scooping through all the *.cat

PS: Apologies in advance if this was explained before, I honestly couldn't find any refs.
-------------------------------------------------------
"I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

- Oppenheimer

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 00:57

the last bit is pretty straightforward. data files with a higher number override data files with a lower number. this lets egosoft just take on datafiles in patches rather than amending existing datafiles.

Smokey McPot
x3

Post by Smokey McPot » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 01:26

Ahhhhhh! :idea: It does make sense! I suppose ypu're quite sure 'bout this, ehm? 8)

The thing is, the galaxy map does not appear into 05.cat <unfortunately>

Thanks for the reply.

- Oppenheimer

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 02:41

.cat/.dat files are loaded into the game sequentially, starting with 01, thru ... (whatever)
New values overwrite old ones, so if there's a tships in 01 and also a tships in 05, the one in 05 is the one that's going to get used.
Note that this allows you to package up a mod with only one file if you desire and call it 06.cat/06.dat and it will get loaded just fine.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 11:04

No doubt there will be "glitches". I will take a look at it.

I can understand that you were unable to get the desired info here at X3. Most of the info is in X2 S&M.

Some one should write new tutorials.

"How to make a mod" would be cool. Yes, it is the same as in X2. IF you ever played X2 - that is :P

Maybe I will write it sometime. But I'm again wasting my morning by writing X3 posts/e-mails instead of working on my progs :x

Smokey McPot
x3

Post by Smokey McPot » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 16:14

Doubleshadow:>

Dude, your editor is really, really cool, saves a shit load of rawtxt editing, don't get me wrong!

I was just wandering if I'm editing the right stuff. Your program DOES modify the file, no doubt about it, so the title of my posting is somewhat ....ehm... uninspired. :oops:

My apologies.

Still, I don't understand what's going on ... :?

Cheers

- Oppenheimer

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 08:43

Smokey McPot wrote:I tried to use Doubleshadow's editor to change the yield of an asteroid in a system I've already visited and explored (Family Whi). I found the roind (just 2) and changed the Silicon yield from 3 to 26. Went back to game: NADA. Still 3.
I've tested it. Created 2 asteroids - nvidium and silicon with different resource ammount (can't remember what's that funny word you are using :? ). Started X3 and opened the map in in-game Galaxy Editor. All was correct.

So the problem is (as you admitted already) with you making something wrong.

You told that you are modifying the universe map in 04.cat. That's the "latest" map indeed. Maybe you have some mod active which is "overwriting" your changes in 04.cat ?

Check that you don't have any mod selected in the X3 startup screen - press "default" (something like that) in the "Select Mod Package" window.

It would be also good not to edit existing galaxy but make your own copy, rename it and place in the "maps" folder. Then you can modify it with X3E and load it with in-game Galaxy Editor to check the changes. The Galaxy Editor enabler should be somewhere around if you don't have it.

Smokey McPot
x3

Post by Smokey McPot » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 11:59

Tha't really weird, 'coz I don't have any mods installed, just LV's scripts. As I said, it worked for me once, but then it didn't.

Maybe the game isn't 'refreshing' the map?

Gotta go into it 2night, it's really bugging me now! Keep you posted! :)

PS: Is LV working for Egosoft, coz I found his initials at the back of the X3 manual? :roll:

- Oppenheimer

HighVelocity
x3ap

Post by HighVelocity » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 20:59

Just for fun I tried your Problem. There are two asteroids in Ringo Moon and I changed them to 200 Si and 200 Ore with the X3 Editor (04.dat). I started a new game, bought a detector and fly to Ringo Moon and both were correct at 200.

I also added to the argon prime station some Food from Boron and everything was in there.

Second Try: I added an asteroid to Argon Prime with 1000 Si and it was correctly there. I saved, closed the game and corrected the asteroid to 500. And after loading the game the asteroid was still auf 1000. So obviously the numer 1000 is nailed down in the savegame.

I took the game with easy and plot.

maybe I could help.

Smokey McPot
x3

Post by Smokey McPot » Wed, 30. Nov 05, 00:15

Yeah, it works for me in the plot version as well. Checked it 2day. Weird. I could send you guys my 04.cat if you don't believe me! :P

I'm tellin ya' I woudn't have bothered posting something so trivial if it didn't bother me! :evil:

Still, in the normal (no plot game) I'm playing you can't change shit in the galaxy!

I'll figure it out, eventually!

- Oppenheimer

Smokey McPot
x3

Post by Smokey McPot » Wed, 30. Nov 05, 00:20

[quote="Second Try: I added an asteroid to Argon Prime with 1000 Si and it was correctly there. I saved, closed the game and corrected the asteroid to 500. And after loading the game the asteroid was still auf 1000. So obviously the numer 1000 is nailed down in the savegame.
maybe I could help.[/quote]

Arrrrgh... maybe that's what's going on: maybe once you've SCANNED an asteroid its yield gets saved into the savegame? But wait, the yiels of roids doesn't cnage over time due to mining, so what would be the point?

Still beats me! :evil: :evil: :evil: :o :shock:

- Oppenheimer

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”