SQUASH Mines in X3

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

SQUASH Mines in X3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 17:17

Where exactly are they illegal?
Who's sectors?

Scanned a ship carrying some in Teladi space and it didn't go red.
Was wondering if this is just the random nature of the going redness (which is a bit crap in itself) or if they're illegal in Teladi space or not.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

scoochy
x4

Post by scoochy » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 17:34

Squash mines are illegal?
System Specs:
P4 3.00 ghz HT
256mb PCI-E 6800gt 78.01 drivers
2 gig ram/4 512 meg sticks
SB audigy gamer sound card
Albatron socket 478 MB w/ PCI-E slot

ww99
x3

Post by ww99 » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 17:42

SQUASH mines are not illegal in split, paranid and teladi sectors. But are illegal in argon and boron. (I think this is correct) :wink:

StarWarsPwns
x3

Post by StarWarsPwns » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 17:46

what are SQUASH mines?

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 18:17

Squash mines are very powerful, nasty and almost entirely useless unless youre trading in them.

I've never yet found a way to use them offensively, and since they have no Friend or Foe recognition they're just as dangerous to you as to the enemy.

The only time I've come accross them in X3 is
Spoiler
Show
Surrounding an abandoned split mamba, (nope, not saying where it is)

evildude
x2

Post by evildude » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 19:39

Fun to drop around Pirate Bases. And in trade lanes.

soleseacher

Post by soleseacher » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 21:14

:o Squash mines wow there cool toys :fg:
When u want some fun drop a load infront of the nearst jump gate :twisted:
normally get some nice booty
Could of utilized these to with regards to ships i.e.
Minerlayers
Minesweepers
This was another reason I wanted the tugs in and being able to move astriods.
Just think of the fortess you could build
1st parimiter mines then
2ed parimiter tightly packed astriods & mines
3ed parimiter lazer towers
Then your complex right in the middle with only one way in guarded with more towers & an M2 :twisted:
Now wouldn't that be cool :fg:

blackfire83
x4

Post by blackfire83 » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 21:26

Mmm, delicious destruction.

I plan on using SQUASH Mines to good effect when I start my personal war against the Teladi. (Darn money-grubbers always letting pirates roam free in their sectors to attack my UT's!). I imagine it would be fun to drop some in front of a station or gate and sit back and watch the carnage... Really not useful, but fun nonetheless...

Also, I was thinking that when I take over one of the Unknown Sectors to make my uber-base of operations, I can barricade the jump gates with SQUASH Mines, making my sector accessible only by jump drive. :twisted:

-blackfire83

soleseacher

Post by soleseacher » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 21:36

Also, I was thinking that when I take over one of the Unknown Sectors to make my uber-base of operations, I can barricade the jump gates with SQUASH Mines, making my sector accessible only by jump drive.
Hmm good plan but u better remember which gate u mined as when u jump u enter the sector thou a gate :D
so if u forget and pick the wrong one BOOM! :lol:
See the way I play the game is to couse as much havoc and carnage as I can :twisted:
Without getting cought ofcourse :fg:
But once I get my super fortress in place the rest of the universe look out :fg:
Another little cool tick I love doing is to watch an M2 or M1 on its sector patrol, map its route, then mine it :twisted:
couses bloody murder :lol: :lol:

steel chicken
x3

Post by steel chicken » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 21:52

ive never used SQUASH mines, they were always to problematic for me. If you setup a bunch of them in a trade lane, do you get bad rep for blowing people up with them?
Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither.

soleseacher

Post by soleseacher » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 22:00

ive never used SQUASH mines, they were always to problematic for me. If you setup a bunch of them in a trade lane, do you get bad rep for blowing people up with them
Hell no thats the cool thing about it :twisted:
Thats why its illegal to carry them so use your TS following you :fg:

P.S.
Think I'll change my name to Cut Throat Jake :lol: :lol:

ouch
x3tc

Post by ouch » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 22:52

actully I have a little squash mine story from X2 :)

my frighter was going to be attacked by khaak, I saw them split and we all know what that means... and I myself was in a frieghter so I wasn't much help. but since we were makeing squash mine runs, we had plenty of ammo... ;) I ordered the frighter to come to me (across the sector) and told it to drop a mine. I then activated it and almost emiedietly about 3 or 4 red blips went away :) some of the others were hit but not killed. hmm... I thought... so I ordered it to drop another, I waited till the bigger ship got in range. (letting the m5's pass) I then activated it. and that ships shileds were gone and like a sliver of hull. so I ordered yet another one to be dropped and waited... and then turned the mine on when the bigger ship came and the red blip went away. by now about 3 or 4 m5's were swarming my frieghter so I told it to atack them and then I did the same. and we destroyed them with our "defense" turrets. :)

mines are quite usefull, but in X3 there are missles that pack a simular punch and are easier to use. course they might of upped the damage from mines as well but I don't know.

Yellowjack
x4

Post by Yellowjack » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 23:15

I had an interesting experience yesterday with the Mamba mentioned earlier by mrbadger. First I hit an unseen asteroid in the sector. Fixed this with brightness adjustment to my screen, next try I hit a squash mine amongst asteroids, third time got close to mamba and targeted a squash mine, hit is with lasers which started a chain reaction which took the mamba out as well. Fourth time I got within a couple fo klicks of Mamba and claimed it in space suit. Next question was: How to get it out in one piece. I had a jump drive installed in the Buster I was in so I transferred it to Mamba and told it to jump out.

I'm now the proud owner of a 1.56megacred Mamba and enjoyed a great little puzzle adventure.

The issue with squash mines is that whilst you may not get any enemies from them you don't get any cred either and as (apparently) the pirates re spawn there is not a lot of point in trying to clear some space from them. It would be useful if, when you laid mines, they appeared on your sector maps then you could play dodgems with any bad guys.
In the Spirit of ELITE

The Cuban Nightmare
x3

Post by The Cuban Nightmare » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 02:06

Note: MINES RULE!!!

Take a freighter w/ Laser towers and mines. Move to pirate space and drop a few mines near the gates. wait for a convoy and BOOM! free cargo. just detonate each individually and presto, instant boron space soup.
I'm your worst nightmare....

Apocalypse Incorporated; destroying a planet near you!

Tetris Anarchist
x3

Post by Tetris Anarchist » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 02:22

Squash mines were great kiling machines in X2... if you went near one in anything smaller than an M6 and you were within 2km... BOOM... the end. Now, however, you can take them out with lasers (the one point in the plot proved it to me)... Squash mines have become useless piles of junk in X3...

TerrorTrooper
x4

Post by TerrorTrooper » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 02:27

they can also be quite handy if your being chased.. ive used them to get some nastys of my "6" a few times...

Also.. droping a few of them when crossing a Xenon sector can be fun..

blackfire83
x4

Post by blackfire83 » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 04:26

Wait a minute... You don't lose rep for blowing up ships with mines? This opens up a whole new door of possibilities! CORPORATE SABOTAGE! Some other factory stealing your business? Barricade it with SQUASH Mines. Sneaky like, of course.... Ooooh, this is getting more and more fun... :twisted:

-blackfire83

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 04:33

Although i have not yet tryed it, i always wanted to mine somit and setup a ambush for some enemy. Maybe mine a nebula or somit and to indicate to me where they are ill put a nav sat near em then with a fast ship ill zip round and then back on original course and hope the enemy flys stupidly into them as following me in a direct sight path.

:twisted:

soleseacher

Post by soleseacher » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 15:01

Maybe mine a nebula
Make shore its a shield eating one He He He :twisted:
works wonders :fg:
And u can pick up mines on your scanner but u got to be dangeriously close I think its less than 5 km.
Also when laying mines use you xyz cordinates on your sector map put them about 4 km apart. It takes a bit of time and practice but its worth it :twisted:
Use a remote ship to be on the safe side, I normally use a capped pirate ship so if it go's BOOM! I'll just go and get another one :fg:

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 16:11

Anyone tryed mining a gate, like say a gate that is the enterance to say a xenon section. Then if you setup factories in the near xenon sectors the mines should stop ships coming through. Tho they will get depleated alot so remaking mine field is probably a must.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”