firefly/serendipity similarities with X universe

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

masrock
x3tc

firefly/serendipity similarities with X universe

Post by masrock » Fri, 2. Dec 05, 20:54

I've posted similar in the scripting and modding sector but I thought I'd share my idea with a wider audience to test the reaction.

I find many elements of the X universe very similar to the series Firefly.

With a few simple mods I think the experience could get even closer:

* have a section of sectors whose jump gates are exit only. Thereby only larger ships with jumpdrives can move between sectors. Energy cells would become a much more valuble commodity. Small fighters would be stuck to one sector or would need to piggyback a bigger ship to get around the greater universe. Inter- sector Transports would always need a certain load of energy cells, maybe 50 or 100 per sector. that may make player manned medium haulers more popular instead of m3's.

*Instead of pirates you have Reavers.

*A lot more dodgy deals on bulletin boards with the chance of being double crossed.

*Less emphasis on player owned but many more bulletin board deals missions and trade runs, with the chance to be double crossed at the last minute.

*Multiple sector chases.

*Hiring 'companions' or crew members from trading stations for certain missions.

*Borrowing money from 'unofficial' lenders to make trade runs that have to be paid back.

*Make all raw materials scarce or outragiously expensive including e-cells to make piracy and salvage and bartering on the black market more essential.

*In x² you could fly through asteroids,- hiding in asteroid tunnels would be an excellent place to hide from officials and Reavers if it could be scripted to be like when you enter or dock at a space station, you fall off the radar.

So what do you think, any other ideas?
I haven't tried my hand at scripting, but I may give it a go or help someone more experienced attempt the changes.

Even if the whole idea doesnt take off, I'd still like more depth in the bulletin board missions to add a further dimension to the game as described above.

Masrock

Veles343
x3

Re: firefly/serendipity similarities with X universe

Post by Veles343 » Fri, 2. Dec 05, 21:03

masrock wrote:I find many elements of the X universe very similar to the series Firefly.Masrock
Thats one of the main things that attracted me to the game :) I absolutely love Firefly

EDIT: I got some free time so actually had the chance to read your post. Sounds like a great idea to me. Maybe you could hire permanent crew members, like having an engineer makes your ship run faster/smoother. A pilot makes the ship more manuverable as he can get more performance out of the ship. Your crewmembers could level up too and the higher the level the bigger the effect.

I think Firefly has a great image of what a colonised galaxy could be like. I love the fact its quite dark, no magical food replicators but people just clining on.

I think pirates should stay as pirates, but reduce thier frequency of attack and make the ships a bit more inconspiquous. I think the Xenon should be changed to the reavers, Xenon space sometimes reminds me of the outer edges of the galaxy where the reavers reside like in the film.

masrock
x3tc

Post by masrock » Fri, 2. Dec 05, 22:48

bump

Da_Imp
x3tc

Post by Da_Imp » Fri, 2. Dec 05, 22:52

masrock wrote:bump
:sceptic:

Fendalis
x3

Post by Fendalis » Fri, 2. Dec 05, 23:11

Good thoughts...my Caiman Super-Freighter is named Serenity. Alas, there isn't anything that looks quite like the Firefly class ship from the show...The Demeter from X2 was pretty close (so if anyone scripts the X2 Demeter model back in as a purchaseable ship, let me know! heehee...or if anyone can explain how to do such a thing in very small words for the scripting-inept).

I agree though, that there's a lot of similarities between the show and this game. Obviously its on par with scripting Forgotten Realms things into Morrowind...but that's the great thing about Morrowind and X2/3...you can modify your world/universe as you see fit...or beg others to do it for you.
Welcome to Rev-Co
http://rev-co.net

"If something seems too good to be true it's better to shoot it just in case."

daedalao
x3

Post by daedalao » Fri, 2. Dec 05, 23:13

X3 Browncoats anyone? ;)

I personally am trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to make a firefly class ship, and have been doing so for awhile... I've got schematics and everything... so, we'll see how that pans out. I'd also like to have the crew hiring thing, that'd be nice. Also, ship hijacking, I'm telling you, is going to be essential to this game one day.

gatemonkey

Post by gatemonkey » Fri, 2. Dec 05, 23:16

Veles343 wrote:I think the Xenon should be changed to the reavers, Xenon space sometimes reminds me of the outer edges of the galaxy where the reavers reside like in the film.
call me a hopeless nerd, but the entirety of firefly/serenity takes place in the one solar system...

masrock
x3tc

Post by masrock » Fri, 2. Dec 05, 23:22

daedalao wrote:X3 Browncoats anyone? ;)

I personally am trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to make a firefly class ship, and have been doing so for awhile... I've got schematics and everything... so, we'll see how that pans out. I'd also like to have the crew hiring thing, that'd be nice. Also, ship hijacking, I'm telling you, is going to be essential to this game one day.
If you can send the schematics by email or pm I'd be interested in just seeing them nevermind gaining the skill to model them for this game.

Seriously I'd very much like some more interesting bulletin board missions with possible ambushes, double crosses, money lending, police chases etc.

I think that there are too many useless news items and filler material and a scarcity of dangeroous but lucrative missions at all skill levels.

Masrock

Fendalis
x3

Post by Fendalis » Fri, 2. Dec 05, 23:28

Kind of a side note, but when I saw the previews for Serenity I thought immediately of the X3 trailer! :)

Great movie, btw.

So uh....when's X-Universe the movie coming to the big screen? I'm sure we could get Danny DeVito to play the role of Ban Danna (j/k...he'd make a good Paranid though...)

I need more sleep.
Welcome to Rev-Co
http://rev-co.net

"If something seems too good to be true it's better to shoot it just in case."

PTR
x3

Post by PTR » Fri, 2. Dec 05, 23:31

That's what x3 needs... More Cowboy's!!

Loved the serie, too bad is was cancelled.

I hope there are more dodgy deals on bulletin boards coming with the next patch, and your oyher ideas are quite good, makes the game more complex.
Burn the land, boil the sea,
you can't take X from me...

masrock
x3tc

Post by masrock » Sat, 3. Dec 05, 09:39

I thought more people knew the Firefly series. but from the lack of replies then i guess its still relatively unknown.

So to anyone who likes X3, I suggest checking out the movie serenity or the series firefly.

Masrock

daedalao
x3

Post by daedalao » Sat, 3. Dec 05, 09:45

I'll do that right now for you masrock... firefly incoming.... (as soon as I finish the scans)

masrock
x3tc

Post by masrock » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 16:44

have you finished the scans, i haven't recieved anything yet.

Does anyone else have this information?

Masrock

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 16:54

I never got to see firefly, only heard about it after it got cancelled.
But Joss Wheddon is a great writer so I'm sure it's a great show, I will see it one day.

As for the present, watching serenity is a BIG goal of mine... soon my friends I will understand the brilliance. 8)
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 16:59

Seen the film, someone has just lent me the tv series box set so ill catch that soon.

If your looking for similarities, i did notice the japanese/chinese characters used on Serenity, something in the back of my mind says that the language the argon use was actually supposed to be japanese (coincidence) or something like that, might be barking up the wrong tree though....

alphalvr
x3ap

Post by alphalvr » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 17:01

Veles343 wrote:
masrock wrote:I find many elements of the X universe very similar to the series Firefly.Masrock
Thats one of the main things that attracted me to the game :) I absolutely love Firefly

EDIT: I got some free time so actually had the chance to read your post. Sounds like a great idea to me. Maybe you could hire permanent crew members, like having an engineer makes your ship run faster/smoother. A pilot makes the ship more manuverable as he can get more performance out of the ship. Your crewmembers could level up too and the higher the level the bigger the effect.

I think Firefly has a great image of what a colonised galaxy could be like. I love the fact its quite dark, no magical food replicators but people just clining on.

I think pirates should stay as pirates, but reduce thier frequency of attack and make the ships a bit more inconspiquous. I think the Xenon should be changed to the reavers, Xenon space sometimes reminds me of the outer edges of the galaxy where the reavers reside like in the film.
reduce frequency of attack, your kidding right???

there are no pirates....and when 8 find em they never attack they just fly towrd a gate and move on...in fact i feel like pirate chasing em down :o

masrock
x3tc

Post by masrock » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 17:04

The galactic language in firefly is mandarin chinese. The two surviving governments where the US and china when humans headed into space.

Not to break the spell though, my wife is chinese and she laugh a lot at the pronounciation of the words used in the series, or looks baffled at the way they garble her language.

Masrock

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 20:52

If you have not seen FireFly and Serenity, see them. Or see them again! :D
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

masrock
x3tc

Post by masrock » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 12:04

alphalvr wrote:
Veles343 wrote:

reduce frequency of attack, your kidding right???

there are no pirates....and when 8 find em they never attack they just fly towrd a gate and move on...in fact i feel like pirate chasing em down :o
The idea was to make some pirates reavers, but when they do attack its devastating and something to be feared, so if you attacked a stray pirate ship that contains reavers you find its just bait and a whole multitude jump in and attack. Kind of like a lottery, take the bate and risk losing the sector, or, its just a normal pirate and a source of funds, but you won't know till you open fire.

Masrock

kether
x3

Post by kether » Sat, 24. Dec 05, 20:24

I couldn't agree more -

but I'm not thinking mod here - Firefly deserves it's own game!

I think Egosoft would do a great job with the Joss Whedon/ Firefly universe! I've actually thought about emailing him a link to egosoft's site. Or vice versa... Anyone have his email address?

Damn that show was good!

It would be a great continuation of his muse.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”