Crashes on entering Omicron Lyrae

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Drizlock
x3

Crashes on entering Omicron Lyrae

Post by Drizlock » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 14:09

My game crashes to windows with an error message stating; X3 encountered a problem and needs to close. No other crashes thus far.
Im entering from Nyanas Hideout. Need help. :(

Have the latest patch.
Updated drivers to 81.95, did not help.

My rig:

3200+, 7800GT 81.95. Onboard Realtek sound, 1GB ram.

OddBall-aka-hippiejon
x3

Post by OddBall-aka-hippiejon » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 16:00

thats wierd , i got a super complex in there with about 20 stations . . . .

Tried an earlier save game ?
Dope will get you through times of no money - but money will NEVER get you through times of no dope .

Drizlock
x3

Post by Drizlock » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 16:22

Yes, I have tried jumping back and forth between other systems as well, but it just crashes when I try to enter Omikron. Mybe its another music track or some audio files in that system...I dont know. Does someone have the same problem?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 17:03

It is possible. See this FAQ entry.

Drizlock
x3

Post by Drizlock » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 17:52

Have tried everything the FAQ states, including reinstall of Directx, other Codecs, removing codecs etc. Going to buy me a X-Fi soundcard soon anyway, but want to play X3 now.

Xmortis
x3

Post by Xmortis » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 18:21

I got the X-fi a few days ago. Had an audigy1. You will get better game performance. The audio is a bit better too.. most noticable with headphones though. I only play with headphones as to not wake the baby in the house. Can only play at night these days due to being too darn busy with him during the daylight hours :)

I got the cheaper music edition.. something like $130, but had a nice $40 rebate from circuit city. Hunt around for bargains. I bet they are out there for the holidays. Oh, and CAREFUL if you get that rebate (if its still available). They give you two $20 rebates but the rebate codes are 'purposefully' deceptive. The both have IDENTICAL numbers except for the very last code. One has a U and the other a V. Printed, they look the same, but they aren't. When mailing in the rebate, the two rebate coupons go to different addresses, and the U and V code needs to go to the correct one. I can see people not paying attention and reaming themselves of a $40 rebate they thought they'd get. Tricky bastards.

Oh.. before putting the X-Fi in. Uninstall all your old soundcard software and junk. Remove the sound card hardware. Reboot your system so it comes up fine without sound. Install all the X-Fi software. Shutdown. Put the new card in.. then boot up.

Why? I didn't and my system has all the Audigy and X-Fi crap all jammed together. Tough to figure out what I can and can't remove. Also worried if I remove something for the Audigy, it might uninstall a new DLL or something for the X-Fi by mistake. Its working.. so i'm leaving it alone :) I plan to rebuild the OS in a few months anyway, so I can wait. I'd rebuild sooner but all my 'limited' available free time is spent playing X3.

Drizlock
x3

Post by Drizlock » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 11:48

I reinstalled X3, have a new X-Fi card, and the game just crashes in the exeact same way. Have not meddled with any codecs, have all updates from windows. :cry:

I hope the patch will fix this. Any other suggestions?

If the patch does not fix it I will have to take the game back. Its a shame cause X3 is in my humble opinion one of the best games I have ever played. :(
Last edited by Drizlock on Fri, 16. Dec 05, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 11:52

Time to try meddling with your codecs I'm afraid. Start by trying a codec pack such as K-Lite, and if that doesn't work then check out this thread by MadBoris which explains why this is such and issue and what you can do about it. Another alternative would be this.

Drizlock
x3

Post by Drizlock » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 11:54

What version should I install? The full, standard or basic version of K lite?

By the way, the FPS sky rocketed with my new sound card :wink:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 12:00

I would imagine that even the basic one includes the codecs needed by the game. All you are looking for are ones to play back mp3 and Windows Media Audio formats.

Drizlock
x3

Post by Drizlock » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 12:09

Thanks, If it doesnt work, I will wait for the patch, and if it doesnt work then I will whine some more :wink:

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”