Mass Driver heaven

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Korban
x3tc

Mass Driver heaven

Post by Korban » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 03:37

i read a few reports that someone had a ship with only mass drivers. I decided to to put on two mass drivers, with my ahepts. Mass drivers are awesome and the ammo really does last for a long time.

Anyways for those skeptics try it out you wont be sorry.
I only speak two languages - English and bad English

euan78
x3

Post by euan78 » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 06:36

mass drivers are the proverbial dogs bollocks ,i recommend having at least 4 but preferebly 6 mounted,keep the lasers in case you run out of ammo,i like a setup of 2 x AHEPT (1 + 4 ) 2 x APAC (1 + 2 + 4) and 4 x MD ( 3 + 4)
i use 1 when im outta ammo and in fight and need to give "split death",
2 when i want to try and capture(tickle the hull to death/submission)
3 when i want lasers to recharge or keep the laser's for fighters after i've finished pounding the hull of a capship,
and 4 to unleash unholy pain on whatever takes my fancy
thinking about swapping the APAC's for BIRE's or even AIRE's though,even the BAPC's seem to do too much damage.although i dont fancy sitting in behind a nova with AIRE's :wink:

RogerL
x4

Post by RogerL » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 10:42

For M4's the Buster, Pirate Buzzard and Scorpion the MD's are the best weapon really, makes taking out M3's so easy. But imho in M3's the Mass Drivers are backup to switch to after energy runs out. And for the back turret, it's perfect for taking out missiles.

I Use 2+1 MD's on my Mamba Raider, I want two slots for APACS or BIRE (but they are just for fun, love hunting M4's and M5's with less powerful weapon, so switching them for another 2 MD's is not wrong). And 4 AHEPTS is main weapon, mostly using just 2.

Apocholypse
x3

Re: Mass Driver heaven

Post by Apocholypse » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 10:58

Korban wrote:i read a few reports that someone had a ship with only mass drivers.
You wouldn't be refering to my Dragon now would you, which only has Mass Drivers? (can remember the post actually)

Anyhoo, they are superb!! I have 9 Mass Drivers on it as I've said and it can take apart M2's or M1's pretty quicky.

In light of this, I have a complex dedicated to produce the mass driver and it's ammo (totally self sufficiant) with no cost to me what so ever, so an infinite supply. So pretty much anything is a target now. It's also so much easeir to take out other fighters as the bullets are so accurate and so quick.

niblue
x3

Post by niblue » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 12:10

I have a mass-driver only Nova and a mass-driver only Centaur that I mainly use for killing the Xenon. Either is quite capable of killing any Xenon ship (including J's and K's) but neither will get you any captures.

Silpion
x4

Re: Mass Driver heaven

Post by Silpion » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 12:21

Korban wrote:i read a few reports that someone had a ship with only mass drivers. (...) Mass drivers are awesome and the ammo really does last for a long time.
I know I just cut out an important sentence from the quote but be aware that ammo lasts only for a few short bursts if you fire with 8 MDs.

tass_bur
x4

Post by tass_bur » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 13:17

I also only tried Mass drivers in X3 yesterday...and I like them so much i build myself a ammo loop for them :D taking out K and Js with them is fairly easy even in a Nova :) :)

masrock
x3tc

Post by masrock » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 17:51

RogerL wrote:I Use 2+1 MD's on my Mamba Raider,
I thought the mamba raider only allowed a MD to be mounted on the rear turret, not on the forward facing guns. Or are you playing a modded game?

Masrock

Phalsa
x3

Post by Phalsa » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 17:58

No. A Mamba raider will accept MD's in ALL slots. I use 1 in my back turrent and 4 in the forward slots (Traded out with 4 AHEPT, as needed). No scripts or mods are currently loaded on my Xtreme game.

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 18:01

masrock wrote:
RogerL wrote:I Use 2+1 MD's on my Mamba Raider,
I thought the mamba raider only allowed a MD to be mounted on the rear turret, not on the forward facing guns. Or are you playing a modded game?

Masrock
Huh? Split combat ships have allways been fully MD compatible.

ugly_duckling
x3

Post by ugly_duckling » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 18:02

if you want a decent weapon loadout for removing shields.. look no further than PBE's.. its the MDs sister and they get on like a house on fire.. PBE will strip any shield.. 1 APBE alone can strip a novas shields i seconds imagine what 4 ould do.. perfect loadout would be 2 HEPTs, 4MDs and 4 PBEs obviously not all can be equipped at once so the ones you deciee not to use woul dbe stored in your cargo hold

and thats my 2 pence
My Wish List:

* Custom Paints jobs
* Pilots and crews for hire
* BBS side quests
* the 1.4 patch

Have ideas for a script? think it could be easier to be heard? click here > http://www.egosoft.com/x3/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120450

BigJohn
x3

Post by BigJohn » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 19:56

Hi,

Where can i find a good source of ammo?

Captain Chris sTc
x4

Post by Captain Chris sTc » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 20:24

wastelands always seems to be full for me.

Apocholypse
x3

Post by Apocholypse » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 20:42

BigJohn wrote:Hi,

Cloudbase south west

ShoC
x4

Post by ShoC » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 20:44

Apocholypse wrote:
BigJohn wrote:Hi,

Cloudbase south west

Better still,

buy a station u will save buckets of Money, And u will NEVER be short of ammo,

I maxed my M1 with nothing but MAss Drivers. haha Xenon didnt last very long... and neither did i when u come upto their m1 with just mass drivers.. and that stupid bug where they ram you :evil: :evil:
they have had almost 1000 years to terraform Aldrin, why are they all still sitting around a giant rock?

Catra wrote:
because you cant terraform a rock.

jonnyincognito
x3tc

Post by jonnyincognito » Wed, 7. Dec 05, 01:35

A Mamba with 8 mass drivers shreads the enemy :twisted:

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Wed, 7. Dec 05, 03:33

I find mass drivers inefficient against M3s and larger targets. Thus I use MDs and missiles for taking out small ships and use lasers and missiles for bigger targets.

blackfire83
x4

Post by blackfire83 » Wed, 7. Dec 05, 04:16

Okay, so I guess on the surface the PBE/MD idea sounds cool... but let's think about it a second... Is there really a point in taking down the shields AND hull simultaneously? Why not just max out your ship with MD's? Because a ship with no shields is still alive, but a ship with no hull is no longer a threat...

(And no, I'm not preaching my love for MDs. I'm really not a big fan at all. I prefer to try to capture my targets, but I suppose later on, for cap ship hunting, I'll give them a try...)

-blackfire83
Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums...

X3:TC - Battlemaster, Master Industrialist

Goobers
x4

Post by Goobers » Wed, 7. Dec 05, 04:28

blackfire83 wrote:Okay, so I guess on the surface the PBE/MD idea sounds cool... but let's think about it a second... Is there really a point in taking down the shields AND hull simultaneously? Why not just max out your ship with MD's? Because a ship with no shields is still alive, but a ship with no hull is no longer a threat...

(And no, I'm not preaching my love for MDs. I'm really not a big fan at all. I prefer to try to capture my targets, but I suppose later on, for cap ship hunting, I'll give them a try...)

-blackfire83
for capping: the advantage is if you time it right, you can strip the shields away on the first pass, switch to another config, and "tap" the ship with the MD until they bail.

loadout

1) 12 PBE
2) 2 MD
3) 12 MD
4) 12 MD
5) 2 MD
6) 12 PBE
7) 1 PBE
8) 1 PBE

BT) MD

for the Mamba Raider, this order PBEs will be shoot from the side, the MD shots will be closer together. oddly, position 3 and 4 are the most centered (NOT 4 & 5, like i would've expected), and 7 & 8 are the furthest from the center.

1) 1 PBE
2) 2 MD
3) 12 PBE
4) 12 MD
5) 12 MD
6) 12 PBE
7) 2 MD
8) 1 PBE

BT) MD

is more "even"

#1 will hurry to strip the shield, do some hull damage (remember, they won't bail until shields are BELOW 87%)

#2 will encourage the pilot to bail, with the 2 PBEs to keep the shield low.

the only problem is... you could potentially destroy the ship too quickly even with "only" 4 MDs
Last edited by Goobers on Wed, 7. Dec 05, 04:45, edited 3 times in total.
PC Iteration Builds:

QX6700, OCZ 4 GB , MSI 8800 GTS
i7-930, G.Skill 6 GB, EVGA GTX480
i7-5820k, G.Skill 32 GB, ASUS GTX970
i9-7900x, G.Skill 32GB, EVGA 1080 ti

blackfire83
x4

Post by blackfire83 » Wed, 7. Dec 05, 04:32

Does the "tapping" technique (or "tickling", as I call it) actually work for you? I've found it doesn't work too often, but then, the "hard and fast" technique doesn't seem to work all the time either...

If so, then yes, there is a purpose in PBEs. I can enjoy a projectile-based (beam-based?) shield-stripper. I'm sick and tired of the friendly fire from Ion D's and PSG's...

-blackfire83
Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums...

X3:TC - Battlemaster, Master Industrialist

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”