Phantom Menus.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

The Gimp
x3

Phantom Menus.

Post by The Gimp » Sat, 10. Dec 05, 20:44

I just would like to know if they are adressing this problem in 1.3. I have had it with the menus staying up and just sitting there at the bottom of the screen.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 11. Dec 05, 00:25

It can only be addressed if it can be replicated. If you know how to make it happen and are able to provide us with the steps then that would be most helpful.

shodan1138
x3

Post by shodan1138 » Sun, 11. Dec 05, 02:08

CBJ wrote:It can only be addressed if it can be replicated. If you know how to make it happen and are able to provide us with the steps then that would be most helpful.
While I'm not The Gimp, I've had this happen to me too. I believe it happened this way:

I had *just* scanned a ship (I got the brief "Cargo scan complete" message, but hadn't yet gotten the list of cargo itself), when the ship exploded. The timing, I must admit, was pretty tricky - not sure if I can replicate that if I wanted to, but I believe those were the circumstances. I ended up with a corrupted, permenant iconbar on the bottom of the screen, and half or one quarter of whatever window I last looked at being "stuck" on the screen.

The problem persisted through saved games; I had to back out to an older save to make it go away. Restarting the game, and even rebooting, wouldn't actually clear up my garbled menus and icon bars.

If I can replicate this problem myself again and get it into a saved game, is there somewhere I should send it?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 11. Dec 05, 02:16

If you can replicate it then please upload your savegame to some webspace somewhere and provide a link. If you can't do this then drop me a PM if and when you have something to send and we can make the necessary arrangements.

alphalvr
x3ap

Post by alphalvr » Sun, 11. Dec 05, 21:28

i get a phantom window...im sure i can replicate it happened 100`s of times (bright grey box to left of screen sized about 1/3rd of screen) i think it happens by pressing a certain key while viewing secror map in space ill get back to u.

its not terminal....but it sure lookes terminal :o

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 11. Dec 05, 21:32

That may be something different. If you press K while in the sector map then whatever it is will probably appear and disappear on alternate keypresses.

zerogman
x3tc

Post by zerogman » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 08:50

Not a bad name for it, Phantom Menus...

My problem is that wherever a menu appears when I load game (like in station), it looks normal, but a "phantom" remain of one of the tabs stays when you move to other tabs. This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't that the menu I was just looking at would still be visible, but not usable, until another menu popped over it. Although, that new menu would just take its place.

Whenever I open the sector map, part of the list of ships would remain and I'd have small portion of the screen blocked by those remains.

However, I think I do have a fix, at least it worked for me... I don't like using the mouse so I use my joystick POV hat to operate menus and such. I decided to just use the mouse once since I was transferring a lot of energy cells and didn't want to wait, and since I had it in hand, I used it for the rest of the things I was going to take care of in-station. Funny thing is, the "Phantom Menus" disappeared, and stopped reappearing, after this. This may be a fix, or it just may have been one of those creepy timing things...
- Zerogman

"Energy Cells?!? We don't need no stinkin' Energy Cells!!!.... Oh, we do... doh...."

Ship Computer:"Cargo Bay open, shields are down."
Me:"#$!%@*, I meant to hit 'I'!!!"
The End

www.myspace.com/zerogman

mattjenko
x3

Post by mattjenko » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 10:17

I agree with zerog. I played with these phantom menus for quite some time before I used the mouse to click the arrow next to the X button at the top of the screen and the phantoms vanished. I was pretty surprised as I was thinking my game was knackered. pressing ESC twice to get a small menu as the last menu to be phantomed was getting quite a pain...

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 20:11

As I've said before, if you have a savegame and a clear sequence of actions to replicate the problem then there is a good chance that it can be fixed. If you don't then the chances are slim.

Toowizard
x3

Post by Toowizard » Wed, 14. Dec 05, 07:18

I've managed to get this to occur sometimes if i hit the enter key and escape key repeately and nearly simultaneously -- the "enter menu" appears "behind" the "escape menu," but when you hit escape again to close the "escape menu," the ghost of the "enter menu" remains, and the icon for "dock" is always on top of the icon for the current menu selection (the one that would happen if i hit enter), but the text is correct for that button.

BUT, every savegame i attempt to make results in a CTD, so i cannot furnish the requested savegame. Perhaps after 1.3 saving will be stable enough to get a result?
Cargo bay open, sheilds are down
Your cargo bay now contains... Slaves.

Toowizard
x3

Post by Toowizard » Wed, 14. Dec 05, 20:11

I've found a repeatable method to get a menu ghost on your screen, but not a permanent ghost.

If you tell one of your TL's to drop a station, after it's dropped, the picture icon for the next item in your ship's freight list will remain on your screen.

Of course, if you open your own frieight list and close it, it goes away. So it's not really the same bug.

Still working on repeatable or saveable permanent menu ghost
Cargo bay open, sheilds are down
Your cargo bay now contains... Slaves.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”