Ion disruptor is really worthless now

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mcb0001
x3tc

Ion disruptor is really worthless now

Post by mcb0001 » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 03:55

Well in the short time I did play with 1.3 I noticed the Ion disruptor is garbage now. Two A-Heaps tore apart shields much faster than 2 Ion's. So unless Ions are doing some other sort of damage to ship systems they seem pretty worthless now.

Shokai
xr

Post by Shokai » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 04:17

I did extensive testing prior to the patch and they do destroy systems, software, shields and weapons. I will do some more testing tonight to insure they work post patch. I love em so it matters to me.
I miss Yaguchi Mari

BrightCandle

Post by BrightCandle » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 04:36

The AHEPTS gun for gun were always more damaging than the Ion's. (3334 DPS for Ions compared to 9409 for AHEPTS)

They also end up being more efficient as well, you get double the damage for the same amount of expended energy. (IonD is 0.34 compared to 0.79 of AHEPT).

So all in all regardless of the patch the Ion's were only ever any use for capping.

buzz_aldrine

Post by buzz_aldrine » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 04:37

Yep. I didn't know what is going on when I tried to use them but I also noticed that Ion disruptors are much more worse.

Shokai
xr

Post by Shokai » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 04:43

I only use them for capping. Admittedly they werent better than anything else pre-patch. But they ARE good for capping, still testing post patch though.
I miss Yaguchi Mari

blackfire83
x4

Post by blackfire83 » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 05:15

I think that point that is always missing from these discussions about the Ion Disruptor is that you hardly have to aim the thing. Since it has an "area of effect" it is also useful for missile defense. These are the advantages, not sheer shield-stripping power...

However, I've sworn off the things. In fact, all the "area of effect" weapons are just far too dangerous. Too many NPC ships getting in the way and ruining your rep. PSGs, Ion D's, even my FAA's are all trouble...

-blackfire83
Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums...

X3:TC - Battlemaster, Master Industrialist

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”