Online Universe

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alzir
x3

Online Universe

Post by Alzir » Wed, 15. Oct 03, 12:13

Ive just seen the online universe site, it looks realy good but i cant find anything on when its going beta. Ive registered so should get notified when it does i think but wondered if anyone knew more about it. I know its not gonna be soon but cant wait so anything i can drool over in the mean time would be apreciated :)

Lorien
x3

Re: Online Universe

Post by Lorien » Wed, 15. Oct 03, 12:17

Alzir wrote:Ive just seen the online universe site, it looks realy good but i cant find anything on when its going beta. Ive registered so should get notified when it does i think but wondered if anyone knew more about it. I know its not gonna be soon but cant wait so anything i can drool over in the mean time would be apreciated :)
I doubt that Egosoft will start any real work on OU until X2's out and sold. I'd be very surprised if OU is a reality any time before 2006.
Things I've procrastinated on...

Oldman
x3tc

Re: Online Universe

Post by Oldman » Wed, 15. Oct 03, 13:00

Alzir wrote:Ive just seen the online universe site, it looks realy good but i cant find anything on when its going beta. Ive registered so should get notified when it does i think but wondered if anyone knew more about it. I know its not gonna be soon but cant wait so anything i can drool over in the mean time would be apreciated :)
Good mornin' :)

Let me just state (before I type any further) that I know absolutely diddly squat about the X Online Universe, other than what you may have already read on Egosoft's site.
As Lorien has mentioned, it could be in 2006, 2007, or even 2004, maybe it's not even going to 'happen' :o
Saying that though, my own opinion is that if X2 is the success I hope it will be then I'll hazard a guess that X2OU wouldn't be too far into the future. After all, most of the content will be there already in X2, so it's not as if Egosoft has to start from scratch again.

If, (and again it will be partially dependent on the success of X2) people have already bought X2 then I would have thought (anybody reading this, feel free to correct me or input information :wink: ) that 'all' that would be required would be a download patch off this site, or even a cd given free with some well known PC magazines, to activate the owners game ready for online use. Egosoft 'may' have been working on this already....
Depends as well what the 'all' bit in the above text entails, erk!....
So....perhaps X2OU isn't too far in front of X2?.....(MUST think Positive...positive...yes :headbang: :D )

Oldman :)

crunn
x4

Post by crunn » Wed, 15. Oct 03, 17:01

I'd guess minimum 2 years between X2 and XOU, however...

I would have no problem if, on the day of release, XOU was simply multiplayer X2. (Obviously without the story line aspect)
Then as our subscription fees start to reach Ego they can gradually implement the changes, (modular ships, new sectors, etc, etc) until eventually XOU is no longer recognisable as having once been X2.
I think this might be a more interesting way to be playing the game. Every few weeks we see something new, a new weapon or a new ship, a new solar system or mineral is discovered.
We are there as the game is being developed, we watch the universe evolving taking shape before our eyes, we help shape it and we are part of it!
(Not just reading the latest "X-news" or "Interview with..." and wondering in awe and anticipation.)

VoodooPriester
x3tc

Post by VoodooPriester » Wed, 15. Oct 03, 17:08

crunn wrote:I'd guess minimum 2 years between X2 and XOU, however...

I would have no problem if, on the day of release, XOU was simply multiplayer X2. (Obviously without the story line aspect)
Then as our subscription fees start to reach Ego they can gradually implement the changes, (modular ships, new sectors, etc, etc) until eventually XOU is no longer recognisable as having once been X2.
I think this might be a more interesting way to be playing the game. Every few weeks we see something new, a new weapon or a new ship, a new solar system or mineral is discovered.
We are there as the game is being developed, we watch the universe evolving taking shape before our eyes, we help shape it and we are part of it!
(Not just reading the latest "X-news" or "Interview with..." and wondering in awe and anticipation.)
This exactly is the spirit of a persistent massively multiplayer game. It has to be shaped by the community, that's what's making this kind of game so interesting...

xeltor

Post by xeltor » Fri, 17. Oct 03, 10:46

cant wait for the online universe but what is the link to that site :P :x2:

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Sun, 19. Oct 03, 03:11

I dont know though. They where originally going to use most of the work they put into X2 in Xonline so if they still plan on going a head with it then it may be sooner than anybody thinks. They would have strike whilst the iron is hot to get the server support and the only way they can do that is whilst X2 is still in peoples minds.

I registered for the beta twice, not sure if they keep registrations beyond year so perhaps i should registered a third time :)

Giskard

doogy_fish
x3

Post by doogy_fish » Fri, 25. Jun 04, 14:38

I had a thought, and thought I'd use an old thread to post it...

What if...

The X online universe worked on a process where a specific server owned a specific centre, and they all daisy-chained to create the universe? That way, a user would jump from server to server, leaving their assets at will without any of the servers having to do OOS... You would have to work out some way of ensuring a core set of transit sectors stayed up and running, but then you could have some 'official' sectors sanctioned by Egosoft that all the universe can join, and some private sectors that can join on or leave at will...
More uplifting than a wonderbra.

jaeshaw
x4

Post by jaeshaw » Fri, 25. Jun 04, 14:44

I take it I would need a broadband connection to play online X2, So therefore I will proberly never play it unless prices fir broad band lower.

Anyway sound a great idea, talking to other X2 players while playing would be great.

AD
x2

Post by AD » Fri, 25. Jun 04, 15:00

I saw x-ou put down for release at the end of this year in PC gamer's release schedule. It did say they doubted it would make it though.
And knowing how long games can be delayed for, it wouldnt surprise me if it took forever and a day for x-ou to be released. Such is the way with games you are looking foward to...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 25. Jun 04, 15:06

End of this year is hopelessly optimistic, and I don't know where PC Gamer got that idea from. I think we'd be extremely lucky to see it by the end of 2007, personally.

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Fri, 25. Jun 04, 16:28

End of this year is hopelessly optimistic, and I don't know where PC Gamer got that idea from. I think we'd be extremely lucky to see it by the end of 2007, personally.
Yes i agree 2007 or 2008. If we are lucky....

AD
x2

Post by AD » Fri, 25. Jun 04, 18:30

Its a pity but I thought the same thing when I read it.

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Fri, 25. Jun 04, 20:00

end of the year was egosoft's initial estimate for the X2 expansion; it follows that XOU wouldn't be until 2005 AS A MINIMUM

jaeshaw - the main problem playing conventional multiplayer on dial-up is not amount of information per second ("bandwidth"*) but the time for information to be sent (latency) - on dial-up 5/6ths of the time taken is the analouge/digital conversion in the modem.

I'd imagine MMORGs requires more information to be sent (a lot more entities in the universe) but even so it's the latency that would hold you back. Although all the standard 512 kbps** services (bt and other adsl, ntl, blueyonder) are pretty much identically priced, there are some cut-price 256 kpbs services on adsl kicking about for not much more than unlimited dial-up costs.

Of course, by the time XOU makes an appearance broadband will probably be cheaper anyway.

* bandwidth sometimes refers to information per second, and sometimes to total information transferred ("I used up my bandwidth for this month")

** blueyonder is now 50% faster tho.

izards

Post by izards » Sat, 26. Jun 04, 20:25

There are two MMOs I think could even be good, X2 Online and Face of Mankind.

I hope X2 Online atleast makes it into beta by 2005..

And I hope it's all one universe (like FoM will be).

The way Face of Mankind does that is with server clustering, which would be easy for X2 Online to do. FoM even uses an existing server framework instead of trying to design their own.

I really hope X2 Online gets far enough along that I get a taste before I forget about it.

(/\)arped
x4

Post by (/\)arped » Sat, 26. Jun 04, 20:35

Yes i agree 2007 or 2008. If we are lucky....
One thing I do know about the release date for X-OU in the UK is that it will be after America! That ALWAYS happens. On any game. (That I know of.) Except for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The greatest game ever for many years, until :x2: came along! :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”