Mass drivers now have catastrophic graphical consequences when fired after 1.3

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Fekin
x3

Mass drivers now have catastrophic graphical consequences when fired after 1.3

Post by Fekin » Tue, 27. Dec 05, 18:18

After playing X3 for a few days with 1.3 patch, all I could say was that I got better frame rate in Argon Prime, but now have found a couple of things that have now changed that make the game unplayable.

First off, Ore belt now seems to have so many asteroids my system comes to a near stand still just entering the sector, can't fly around at all with what seems like 0.1 frames per second, it's just a jerk - freeze for a second, then a frame, then a second pause etc etc, haven't been to other major roid sectors yet to see if this happens elsewhere.

Second has just happened, I fired my mass drivers chasing a ship... gigantic system killer, it really was.
I pressed the fire button, and went from smooth flight to a standstill, didn't get to see any ammo flying from the guns, the screen just went crazy.
First off, the split second I fired the mass drivers, every single ship on screen turned into an oblong black box, no ship detail at all, no shape at all, just a black box instead of the ships.
The icons for my weapons on the left of the screen also went to black boxes, no pictures or anything, bring up the menus and same again, just black boxes, bring up the universe map, square outlines for sectors but all names had been wiped out, all the while running at 0.1 frames per second.

What have they done with 1.3 :?

arnak
x3tc

X3 Problem

Post by arnak » Tue, 27. Dec 05, 19:29

Hi,

Just out of interest what are your system specs?

Arnak
Just remember that Murphy was an optimist!!

i7 4ghz, R290 vid card, 16 gig Ram, W7.

woogieb
x3

Post by woogieb » Tue, 27. Dec 05, 20:42

Got the same problem over here dude.

My System Specs:
Win2k+SP4
AOPEN AK79G (NFORCE2 Mainboard)
1.5 GB Ram
2.8GHZ (overclocked) Athlon XP
onboard nvidia soundcard.
GEFORCE 5600 XT on AGP 8x

After reading the posts in this forum I've decided to buy a Creative Live 7.1 24bit PCI sound card. However after installing it my DVD ROM drive finally died on me (BTC model - junk - will NEVER buy again).

Will post back once I get my new drive installed and test the card with it's own codecs. Don't know why I EVER left Creative... oh yes I remember now... no money left for games these days.

Note though that I am not entirely confident that all the bugs with X3 will be fixed after doing this but there is only one way to find out.

G'Luck

arnak
x3tc

X3 Problem

Post by arnak » Tue, 27. Dec 05, 20:51

Hi woogieb,

Well a new sound card will at least take some load of the cpu.

I'll be interested to see how you get on.

Arnak
Just remember that Murphy was an optimist!!

i7 4ghz, R290 vid card, 16 gig Ram, W7.

Fekin
x3

Post by Fekin » Tue, 27. Dec 05, 21:44

AMD Athlon xp 2700+
Asus mobo (forgot model number) AGP X8 - onboard sound disabled
1GB Ram (unbranded) 2X 256MB 1X 512MB - 3 slots
Radeon 9600XT
Sound Blaster Extigy
Logitech keyboard and optical mouse
All latest drivers
Win XP Pro - service pack 2

HeinzHarald
x3tc

Post by HeinzHarald » Tue, 27. Dec 05, 21:58

woogieb wrote:However after installing it my DVD ROM drive finally died on me (BTC model - junk - will NEVER buy again).
I recommend you buy a good quality DVD-ROM drive, like Plextor. It can make a huge difference. First of all the risk of having to wait a long time for DVD verification or even having verification fail is much less with a good quality drive. Failure or long waiting times can also occur during installations. Second you have much less problem with drives spinning like crazy sounding like a windmill. I hardly ever hear my Plextor drive. Granted it is in fact the disk that spins and makes the noise, but the drive still matters.

And remember it's better to get a DVD-ROM than a DVDRW.

Arbalest
x3

Post by Arbalest » Tue, 27. Dec 05, 22:20

I'm getting this too, but it's intermittent. I can clear it by rebooting the PC, but it's annoying when it happens. I think it's probably related to the PSG freeze people are talking about in other threads.

------------------------------------------
(Alienware turnkey gaming box)
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
2 Gigs RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
All drivers up to date, no problems with other mainstream games.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”