[IDEA] Script idea to improve the exploring aspect of the game

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Do you think its a good idea

Exploring missions is definatly needed
80%
im not really into exploring
2%
Dont waste your time on this
3%
Its a good idea but i wont use it
5%
I really cant wait for this to be finished
10%

Total votes: 106

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

[IDEA] Script idea to improve the exploring aspect of the game

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 21:49

Basically x3 seems to lack exploring oppurtunities the only thing realyl that makes ppl explore is to find the abdandoned ships

i have an idea of of placing certain things in the depths of space for the keen explorers to find, you can then sell this information on the BBS as a way of making money through exploring

kind of like how it works on skies of arcadia where you get paid for finding wonders around the world

the could be randomly generated over time so you actaully have to go out an look for them instead of finding the positions from other ppl on the forum, and including information on the BBS that you can buy to help in your search.

I dont have any time right now to start scripting this as i have other pojects to get dont first, but just wanted to get some ideas and feedback b4 i started work on it to c what ppl think and how it work best to give the player another way to make money rather than just fighting or trading

any ideas and suggests are welcome
Last edited by Cycrow on Thu, 23. Feb 06, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 21:56

how about this one ..

when a game is started move all stations around ..

leaving SY and Docks somewhere 'in' sector .. where other stations might end up a bit outside the sectors 'core' ..

only doing this once at start will keep it from becoming 'frustrating' ..
but will make each game a diff. one cause every sector has an other layout ..

G

TimWheatley
x3

Post by TimWheatley » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 21:59

Missing persons? If the reward was great enough whether the person was kidnapped and you find them, or they've run off, or someone just wants to know if you've seen someone... Like in Elite 2.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 22:04

Red Spot: Althou that might make the game feel differnet, it will only really encourage exploring at the very begeinning, which is pretty much the same as new players have to do when discuvering new sectors

but what i want instead, is a long term career in exploring, a way to earn ur living, or part of ur living by litterly flying around the universe and becoming a true explorer.

TimWheatley: I Like that idea, could have a notice on the BBS about the possible race sectors they might be found, would have to be a big enouh reward to warrent them spending time trying to find them

999-JAY-999
x3tc

Post by 999-JAY-999 » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 22:27

How about relics..... personal race specific treasures that a race would gladly pay and reward for...

Indiana Jones Style.....

These could be located near or inside asteroids... or have got lost while being transported by frieght and floating somewhere in space after an attack or even still stuck on board a derelict vessel.
System Spec :-

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Duel 6000+ (3.01GHz)
Windows XP Home Ed. SP 3
ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512)
Creative X-FI Soundard
2.00 GB of RAM
G9 RAZOR Mouse

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 22:30

yeah, relics and things were the kinda things i was thinking aboutfloating somewhere outside the normal sector map, so you have to travel into the "deep space" to find them just gotta balance out the hints to find them, so theres enough so its not too much hassle trying to find them, or too many so it becomes too easy.

of course, there will be those with no help for even greater rewards ;)

liquidthunder
x3

Post by liquidthunder » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 22:41

nice idea, but i wouldnt bother looking unless i had a hint where to find it (eg a bbs saying atifact lost in a sector east of agron prime or somthing )

DIGSIN
x4

Post by DIGSIN » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 02:55

Sounds like another treasure hunt script coming.

What about using special items such as your afterburner or override software as the treasure.
Maybe some new items which are not for sale (just means you would have to script them)
eg A quadplex scanner better than a triplex but not for sale anywhere.
Better weapons eg A-HEPTmk2 same as the normal version but a more powerful shot or recharge rate (dont know if this is possible)
Maybe a tractor beam (lots of people keep asking about them)

Dgn Master
x3tc

Post by Dgn Master » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 04:50

TimWheatley wrote:Missing persons? If the reward was great enough whether the person was kidnapped and you find them, or they've run off, or someone just wants to know if you've seen someone... Like in Elite 2.
In Frontier you could hire NPC's in stations and you couldn't scan stations/ships for people, making it a more viable for that game.

In X though all you would have to do is take the mission then scan the entire universe (if you had sats) to find the person or better yet find the person then take the mission.

I too would like to see these missions added to X3 but unless you had to actually search the sector in question, or the whole universe, for the NPC i couldn't see the point unfortunatly. :(
Could the parents of the little Argon girl, Suzie, please claim her sealed jar of remains?
She didn't mind the gap and ended up vapourized!

AalaarDB
x3tc

Post by AalaarDB » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 05:33

In X2 there were a few Khaak special objects - the bases hidden inside of asteroids etc. I added that to my Khaak Second Invasion script. If the objects still exist you could do something similar, write a mission around it, or just put them out there.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 12:26

yeah if it was gonna hide things, it will be way out of the sector map, so ur standard sats wont be able to c it coz they wont have the range

but it dont wanna put then too far out, otherwise u might never find them

its just a way to make exploring more viable in the game rather than just finding all sectors, then not bothering after

davewave
x3

Post by davewave » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 12:28

actually, the only way this will work is in creating a custom universe.
Then, what I found works well is have only 1 sector, yes thats right 1 sector, but you set its size to massive!!!

Then you place all sorts of objects around the place and they can't really be seen on your map, hence requiring the need for beacons etc..
"Better to die on our feet then live on our knees"

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 12:34

having 1 sector would not work at all

part of the reason its divided up is do it doesn't have to fully process the whole universe, which would be impssoble with current computers

davewave
x3

Post by davewave » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 12:35

Cycrow wrote:having 1 sector would not work at all

part of the reason its divided up is do it doesn't have to fully process the whole universe, which would be impssoble with current computers
well, as i said, it depends on what you want to do

davewave
x3

Post by davewave » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 12:36

sorry for the double post.
You wanted Ideas for exploration, well perhaps you and I can join programming forces and combine our efforts???
Trade secrets for now but would like to create scripting team. And I was impressed with your BH script (mod rather)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 12:38

wwell, the idea is to place objects outside the standard sector map so u actaully have to travel away from the stations to find them

to do that you dont need one big sector

its just about balancing out how many hints to give to make it so its not too hard to make it pointless and not to easy that it become easy money

davewave
x3

Post by davewave » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 12:43

cycrow check your PM.

Still the X3 universe feels rather too scripted.

I think its time to enhance the game by adding some personality rather than just unreal scripts that can calculate your kills more efficiently.
No offence, your work is fantastic, but I think there are things still missing from X3. Now if you read the PM i sent you , you will see I want to show you some ideas that i will program with your help and together can add this "personality" back to the game.

argharg
x3

Post by argharg » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 21:50

Good idea cycrow. I think the game would also benefit a lot from instanced zone where fun thing happens. SOmething like a temporary gates open to a sector where you have something to accomplish (like killing the flying geant worm, fixing the black hole, taking part into a race, saving the princess, whatsover...) those sectors could not be build in (they are not part of the ecconomy) and once you exit them, they reset (and/or) disapear if the mission is accomplished. This would allow scripter to try tons of funy stuff without killing the overall game. Something similar to the extra dungeons/cities scripters could plug into morrowind. :?:

AalaarDB
x3tc

Post by AalaarDB » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 23:49

argharg wrote:Good idea cycrow. I think the game would also benefit a lot from instanced zone where fun thing happens. SOmething like a temporary gates open to a sector where you have something to accomplish (like killing the flying geant worm, fixing the black hole, taking part into a race, saving the princess, whatsover...) those sectors could not be build in (they are not part of the ecconomy) and once you exit them, they reset (and/or) disapear if the mission is accomplished. This would allow scripter to try tons of funy stuff without killing the overall game. Something similar to the extra dungeons/cities scripters could plug into morrowind. :?:
I want that soooo much.

BTW, ArghArgh, are you who I think you are?

mikaelis
x4

Post by mikaelis » Thu, 23. Feb 06, 18:15

Hi Cycrow

Explorers Guild is something, that I really wait for. As you said, it would work fine, by putting some rare (new?) object far, far away from the center of the particular sector. Some tips about the placement need to be given of course (for example on BBS board. And of course it needs to be pricey - better tips, more money need to be paid) This is something you should stick to. Any more advanced ideas can be added later.

I am really looking forward to it. Did you start working on it, or not yet?

good luck

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”