Does it really matters where i put my fabs?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Madeiner

Does it really matters where i put my fabs?

Post by Madeiner » Tue, 3. Jan 06, 21:04

Hi :)

I'm trying to decide which factories to buy.
I currently have 7 millions, 1 silicon mine in Ore belt and 1 Flower farm in Great profit (or something near that).

I built these because i read it on the forum.
I was also considering to add another flower farm near the one i have (and form a complex), because the one that i already have is always empty, and i could sell MUCH more than i currently produce (the fab is also L).

But i was wondering... i have a script that lets my TSs "mantain" the station by themselves, buying resources and selling products.
Does it really change much where i build the fab? The energy cost from jumping is VERY tiny so it doesnt really matter if a transporter has to spend like 250 energy per trade run, when its selling 100.000 worth of wares.

The main problem is that i don't know which factories to build, there's just too many to choose and i don't know where to place them...

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Tue, 3. Jan 06, 21:11

The regular trade commands don't use the JumpDrive, so the time can be a problem. By the time they get there the price is no longer a good deal. 8)

The fancy scripts can use jumpdrive, but even they have to level up first. And these are not officially in X3 yet. :wink:

If you put the factory in a really good location the NPC ships will come to buy from you, so you might not need a "sell" ship.
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Madeiner

Post by Madeiner » Tue, 3. Jan 06, 21:15

Yeah, but -- i'm already using that script, it is wonderful (thanks to the creator).

NPC ships don't usually buy from me, as i set my selling price at about 90% from the max, since my ships jump around freely.

I also find that one Mercury can "mantain" a single station, staying "idle" (IE It has nothing to do) about 80% of the time, except for the first few hours where it has to do multiple energy supplying runs..

Anyway, is there a way/guide/hints to determine what "best locations" or "more profitable fabs" are?

EidolonsFury
x4

Post by EidolonsFury » Tue, 3. Jan 06, 21:23

Guides and Tips can be found in a stickied post on the first page of this forum. There are some good guides on that page, as I've used many, and still use some of them.

cswiger
x3tc

Post by cswiger » Tue, 3. Jan 06, 22:45

"The Guide to Profits" at http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=98222 is an excellent resource.

Basicly, you want to find sectors which (a) have Solar Power Plants nearby, (b) have lots of the same type of factory around (so they compete), and then buy a factory which sells what the existing factories need.

My first factories were:

Flower Farm in Blue Profit
Wheat Farm in Home of Light & Menalaus' Frontier

I have also set up a two-factory complex in Bluish Snout consisting of a BioGas Factory M and a Plankton Farm L. This works quite well since they form a single pool for Energy Cells, and their products can be sold seperately, so I just have one freighter buying Ecells and one selling the products, rather than needing 4 freighters.

The downside is that the Xenon seem to send a small invasion of force of 4-6 L's, 5-8 M's, and a P every so often, so I've set up some lasertowers and an M3 guarding my two freighters, but I've been doing a lot more fighting then over in the safe sectors around Argon Prime. I tried taking a Xenon invasion mission and actually fought off a bigger horde, although it cost more to repair my ships then I earned, but the Boron seem happy with me and I kept my factories there from being wiped out.

Finally, I've just set up both a Silicon and an Ore Mine in Three Worlds, and a complex made of a SPP M, BioGas M, and BoFu M in Kingdom End. This complex seems to be making a ton of money, and supplies enough extra energy to keep my mines going. I could add a Crystal Fab to the Silicon Mine and have a completely closed loop, but there are enough Crystal Fabs in Rolk's Drift and Argon Prime (and 3! more in Home of Light) that I don't need to. But I'm thinking that they might want me to set up another Silicon Mine L down in Ore Belt to feed Silicon to them and to the weapons factories in southern Argon space.

I'm probably going to add another Flower Farm to Shareholder's Fortune, and then maybe add a Chelts Aquarium + Massom Mill complex into Split space around Ronkar's Fire or Thurok's Pride. Only problem is that the Khaak were invading from Tharka's Sun into Rhonkar's Clouds with a pair of M2 destroyers and a pair of clusters the last time I was down there, I've got enough to deal with keeping the Xenon out of Bluish Snout right now.
Last edited by cswiger on Fri, 6. Jan 06, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Do you remember Shalebridge Cradle?
Beware! The Cradle *doesn't* forget....

Shokai
xr

Post by Shokai » Tue, 3. Jan 06, 22:57

Well, if I understand the script you say you are using it really doesnt matter when you put things if all your transports are using jump drives. However, for those not using that script it matters alot where you put things. Available resources and demand for product is all that matters about the factory for most people.

Shokai
I miss Yaguchi Mari

Madeiner

Post by Madeiner » Tue, 3. Jan 06, 23:20

cswiger wrote: My first factories were:
(...)
Thanks a lot :)
You provided me with good examples that i will look at when trying to build something :)

I'll build something smaller right now, until i can afford a TL and move my own stations (i HATE waiting for those jump-less hired TL to move across the galaxy :P )

Captain Pants
x3tc

Post by Captain Pants » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 00:10

I've always found the spaceweed trade to b very profitable, i have a few uber-complexs scattered around teladi/pirate areas and they make a fortune the only problem is that the few pirate bases in range can become saturated, but if ur using the freighters jump-drive script this is much less of a problem and u should be able to shed-loads from it.

LostPilot

Post by LostPilot » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 00:19

Just remember that the economy is changing most of the time, with factories closing and moving around. It will stabilize for a moment, i suppose if the guy who owns the factory isnt making any money from that location he closes it and moves, or if he isnt getting any of the resources he needs to produce anything.

Im not sure what causes it but at least in my game new factories have risen because of the demand. More teladium factories in ceos buckzoid, more SPP's in profit share, more spp's in queens space.

That said, blue profit used to have flower farms in my game, but not anymore. They are all in Shareholders fortune at the moment, from alpha to zeta :shock: .
Crusader
Economist

cswiger
x3tc

Post by cswiger » Fri, 6. Jan 06, 08:32

I've been able to add a Flower Farm M and a Dream Farm L as a complex to ShareHolder's Fortune. It's gearing up now; the flowers are selling OK but not for as much as I'd like-- since there are competing farms next door in Mines of Fortune-- but the Swamp Plant is being very kind indeed:

http://www.pkix.net/~chuck/X3/x3_SH_Fortune.jpg

I've also set up a complex with a Chelts thingy L, Massom Mill M, and Scruffin Farm L in Thurok's Pride which is selling like crazy, but is having problems getting enough energy:

http://www.pkix.net/~chuck/X3/x3_Pride.jpg

There's no SPP for a sector, so I guess it's up to me to build one. And probably then I'll need to add a Silicon Mine and Crystal Fab nearby....
Do you remember Shalebridge Cradle?
Beware! The Cradle *doesn't* forget....

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”