The best way to kill a cluster?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SilverTalon

The best way to kill a cluster?

Post by SilverTalon » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 22:29

What is the best and easiest way to kill a khaak cluster if youve got a buster wit h 4 beta emitters and 2 alpha emitters, and a few wasp and mosquito missliles? I tried attacking them head on firing a missle and then blasting the rest as I got closer but too many survived and they annihilate me with their lasers as I go past. This has happened 4 times now. anyone got any ideas.

targetdrone
x4

Post by targetdrone » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 22:30

my personal favorite are 4x betaPSG from my nemesis...

no matter how many scouts, they die in the blink of an eye :twisted:

Rad Jeebus^
x3

Post by Rad Jeebus^ » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 22:32

My favourite way is to stand right infront of the cluster, open fire with 3 Mass Drivers so it opens, and then all their missiles ass oon as they fire them, causing them to blow themselves up. Did this with a super cluster earlier, went up loads in Boron Rank.

Jeebs
It denos't mtater waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it's olny iprmoatnt taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

random50
x3

Post by random50 » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 22:54

You can fit mass drivers to a buster, can't you? If so, there's your solution. When it first breaks up, they're slow to respond and get up to speed. So I just approach close, say 500M, and let rip with all my lasers (6*AHEPT) and both MDs on my Mamba Raider. You can take them all out before they get dangerous with some reasonably accurate shooting...BUT you'll need the mass drivers because you'll probably drain all your laser energy before you can take them all out. Still doable with the lesser weapons on a Buster, just need to be a little more accurate.

Guysmiley
x3

Post by Guysmiley » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 23:00

Yep, mass drivers OWN the scouts. I have 4 MDs and 2 BPACs on my Buster, with good shooting I can take all of the scouts down before they turn to engage. Then the fighter is easy meat.

random50
x3

Post by random50 » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 23:02

Jeebs, yuor sinagutre is ablusotely asoweme!

Seriously.

DR!FTER
x3

Post by DR!FTER » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 23:47

Using the Nova Vanguard - A single shot from one AHEPT followed by all 8 AHEPTS when the cluster splits. They are all dead before I run low on juice.
CPU: AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800 (dual core)
VIDEO: Two NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX's
MEMORY: 2 gig
POWERSUPPLY: Enermax Noisetaker 600W

Arkalius
x3

Post by Arkalius » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 00:45

I like to start with a hurricane missile... much fun.
-Arkalius

coldwynn
x3

Post by coldwynn » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 02:07

Come up from behind. Fire at the cluster. Try to lay waste to the fighter while initiating an in-system jump to the furthest gate. Wait near the gate. In X2, the khaak would come in single file and you could drop them one by one with lasers (cheaper). I haven't tried it in X3 so I make no guarantee.

Use obstacles--factories, asteroids, gates, ships--to negate their range advantage when few are present.

If you face a single fighter, get his attention with a mosquito (cheap), align a gate between you and him, and then time an in-system jump such that you appear as he passes the gate. Get on his butt and stay there.

Buying a TL and running them over is the funnest way though. I know this works in X3.

Identitystolen
x3

Post by Identitystolen » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 02:12

Arkalius wrote:I like to start with a hurricane missile... much fun.
Exactly, then dive in Mass drivers and BPACs a-blazing. If your good (or lucky) you can take out an entire cluster in one pass.

pkd
x3tc

Post by pkd » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 02:19

Hit the cluster with an unkown object before it seperates. Say, "bye, bye cluster." Just make sure you are not within impact range when it goes off. Cause it goes off.
http://thecynicalgamer.blogspot.com/
- cause the gaming industry is big business. They can take a little sarcasm.

kilaan
x3tc

Post by kilaan » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 02:21

In my falcon I would head right at it blazing my cheap starter guns (the ones you get on norma diffucutly.l) When you get to a certain point you strafe to the right firing as you go. 9 times out of 10 the fighter in the center launches some time of cluster missile that blows all the scouts in one hit. After that I take the fighter on at my liesure.

bladeuk
x3tc

Post by bladeuk » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 02:26

odi with full compliment of GPSGs....what cluster?

General Dave
x4

Post by General Dave » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 02:33

Equip 8 MD's and approach fast (200 speed), when at firing range, more or less 1KM put full reverse thrust on and strafe up, pointing your ships nosecone down and letting off one burst of md to break the cluster.....

As the cluster breaks they will be vulnerable to a brilliant and magnificent tactic.......

Press the home button to cycle targets and the left mouse button to fire.... As quickly as you can select a target you can pop it so no worries there, then take the M3 from behind at your leisure..... :D

Alternatively use one thunderbolt missile fired from range

BOOM

Never failed for me...and it's a wee bit cost effective compared to an ODDY.... Although i'm only jealous as the Paranid and I dont see 'eye to eye to eye'....................
:)

bladeuk
x3tc

Post by bladeuk » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 02:55

GENERAL DAVE wrote: and it's a wee bit cost effective compared to an ODDY.... Although i'm only jealous as the Paranid and I dont see 'eye to eye to eye'....................
True but it works none the less! :D

Could always go pirate hunting in the southern paranid sectors, i spent days hunting pirates through there sectors just to get the rep for a nemmy, it was worth it in the end though :D

General Dave
x4

Post by General Dave » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 03:01

I went from tainted wonderer to Priests confidante in one go by doing a Teladi assasination mission involving the paranid, for 5,000,000..... It had a TL and 4 M6's.....

Problem is I finally decided to complete the plot again (i've been told it works now) and my rank has dropped to summat very crap......

Still my soya bean fact still works two sectors below loomanketstrats so i'll have no trouble regaining the rank....... might just look for a previous save game though.... :)

bladeuk
x3tc

Post by bladeuk » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 03:04

GENERAL DAVE wrote:I went from tainted wonderer to Priests confidante in one go by doing a Teladi assasination mission involving the paranid, for 5,000,000..... It had a TL and 4 M6's.....

Problem is I finally decided to complete the plot again (i've been told it works now) and my rank has dropped to summat very crap......

Still my soya bean fact still works two sectors below loomanketstrats so i'll have no trouble regaining the rank....... might just look for a previous save game though.... :)
Wait there isnt that an increase in paranid rank, for doing a teladi Ass mission killing paranid, that dont sound right, or have i read it wrong :oops:

General Dave
x4

Post by General Dave » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 03:08

I do not tell a lie, the Teladi were blubbing saying there precious baby daughter was kidnapped by Paranid pirates, and for the money I didn't turn it down.....

My high rank with the Teladi allowee me to do this mission (the paranid would have complained that I smelt of spaceweed etc) and after the mission my paranid rank went up exponentially.......

This is X3 and it seems to be different to the X2 assasinations, for a start i don't seem to suffer negative rank for killing Boron guards in Boron space.......wheras in X2 I did........

I hope someone can verify this as it did happen (I've no reason to lie)

bladeuk
x3tc

Post by bladeuk » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 03:12

sorry i didnt mean it to sound like i was saying you were lying, it just suprises me as i havnt done a Ass mission in x3 yet...to busy clearing sectors of enemies to protect my fabs that in 1.2 hadnt even seen an enemy!

junj.chan
x3tc

Post by junj.chan » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 03:13

You do get a rank increase for the pirate's race, probably because they want him dead as well. This can be useful but sometimes I just find it annoying, I don't want to be friendly with the stupid boron...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”