About X3's Galaxy Editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Mon, 13. Feb 06, 16:30

Extract and copy the Jobs.txt and JobWings.txt files, then rename them Jobs.<galaxy>.txt and JobWings.<galaxy>.txt - replace <galaxy> with your actual galaxy name (case sensitive), and you're set.

Seven05
x3

Post by Seven05 » Mon, 13. Feb 06, 17:38

Here's one for you... last night I "accidentally" got myself to a screen that allowed me to edit the background and update the Tbackgrounds file (from the in-game editor). Now, I can't for the life of me find that screen again, any ideas?

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Mon, 13. Feb 06, 18:03

From the Numpad-Enter menu, go to the far right menu, and towards the bottom is an option for turning on advanced details or somesuch like that. That's what you want to use. And it doesnt actually edit TBackgrounds, it just modifies the background you've chosen just for that specific sector.

Clock_Work
x3ap

Post by Clock_Work » Fri, 19. May 06, 22:54

I saw that in the station list is Julian Hedquarters.What is that? :?:

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 19. May 06, 22:58

its a model of the headquaters that was going to be used in the expansion, its not used in the normal game

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Thu, 24. Aug 06, 16:47

Hey, I was wondering if there is an actual guide for this tool yet. Also, I'd like to know how I could add all normal X3 sectors in to my map exactly how they are when you start a new game, as in, populated with stations ships etc. or is this not possible?

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Thu, 24. Aug 06, 20:19

I've never read it or used it, but Northstar supposedly has one. However, I'm in the process of writing one for my Akeela's Beacon website in the near future.

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Thu, 24. Aug 06, 22:05

I'll look forward to reading it.

Would anyone be able to answer my other question?

I know how to add the sectors from original X3, but it's just the sector. No stations, ships, anything.

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Thu, 24. Aug 06, 23:31

In the Debug menu for the galaxy editor (where you craete ships/stations/etc), you can choose to 'import sector' and choose the sector and the map name (x3_universe being the default X3 map). However, if you want the whole X3 universe to build from, you should just grab the x3_universe 1.3 map file from my repository, name it what you want, and start from there. That will give you a base of the stations, asteroids, sectors, gates, etc. To get ships, follow the info about Jobs and JobWings at the top of this page for info on that part.

Cheers

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 05:41

Thanks...

Sorry to seem bothersome and noobish, but I'm having some problems.

I have no 05.dat file in my X3 directory. What I do have are Security Catalog files numbered 1-8 and files that, for some reason, my computer recognized as video files also numbered 1-8.

Also, how would I go about extracting the files I need from the 05.dat file?

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 07:36

Hey nuclear, you should collect all those words of wisdom you've written in this thread and make them as a tutorial!

BlackRazor
x4

Post by BlackRazor » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 09:21

Coridan wrote:Thanks...

I have no 05.dat file in my X3 directory. What I do have are Security Catalog files numbered 1-8 and files that, for some reason, my computer recognized as video files also numbered 1-8.

Those videos are in reality dat files (I suggest you turn on "Show file extensions" in your Explorer settings). To extract files from dat files you need doubleshadow's tools, you can find a link to his homepage in the stickies.
"For the love of the Fish-Queen!"

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 14:16

augustini wrote:Hey nuclear, you should collect all those words of wisdom you've written in this thread and make them as a tutorial!
It's in the works, in between all my other huge projects...

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Sat, 26. Aug 06, 02:58

BlackRazor wrote:
Coridan wrote:Thanks...

Those videos are in reality dat files (I suggest you turn on "Show file extensions" in your Explorer settings). To extract files from dat files you need doubleshadow's tools, you can find a link to his homepage in the stickies.
Alright, I have the tools but I try to add the 05.dat file it says it doesn't exist. So, I figure it says that because my computer still recognizes them as video files.

I've looked around, but I can't find how to change my explorer settings. Could you tell me where to look?

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Sat, 26. Aug 06, 20:48

Ok, it still doesn't work even though I found the option. I can't drag and drop it either.

So... how am I supposed to extract the files with this? :?

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Sun, 27. Aug 06, 05:38

I don't want to have to reduce myself to begging... but I'd really like to be able to figure this out. Can ANYONE help me?

BlackRazor
x4

Post by BlackRazor » Mon, 28. Aug 06, 08:40

Coridan wrote:I don't want to have to reduce myself to begging... but I'd really like to be able to figure this out. Can ANYONE help me?
If you want to extract a file from a dat file you just need Mod Manager by doubleshadow, open the dat file with the program and then click on the file you want to extract and then on extract, no need to change your explorer settings.
"For the love of the Fish-Queen!"

Everyones Antihero
x3

Post by Everyones Antihero » Mon, 28. Aug 06, 14:02

can someone tell me how to activate the galaxy editor in X3, i see lots of stuff on editing it but not activating it.

Ive used the 'thereshallbewings' codeword but i still cant see the opion anywhere.
My Artwork show reel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5R1J-_Byek
My website, click gallery for art:
http://www.richarddaborn.co.uk

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Mon, 28. Aug 06, 14:20

You *could* check the Script Editor / Galaxy Editor Tutorial Sticky, OR you could simply use 'Makeanapplepiefromscratch' as your player name to activate it permanently. :P

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Mon, 28. Aug 06, 16:40

BlackRazor wrote:
Coridan wrote:I don't want to have to reduce myself to begging... but I'd really like to be able to figure this out. Can ANYONE help me?
If you want to extract a file from a dat file you just need Mod Manager by doubleshadow, open the dat file with the program and then click on the file you want to extract and then on extract, no need to change your explorer settings.
I get an error message when I try to do so. It tells me it cannot open the file because of bad data within it.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”