Kethalpak's Guide to the tractor beam (TBE)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kethalpak
x3

Kethalpak's Guide to the tractor beam (TBE)

Post by kethalpak » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 01:34

I've downloaded 1.31 to test the tractor beam. It's tricky to use but easy to get used to. You will have to script in the tractor beam, however as it is not purchaseable at any stations that i have found.

For the purpose of speed, as i'm a little pressed for time at the moment i'm gunna call the tractor beam the TBE(Tractor Beam Emmiter)

To script the TBE into the game, activiate the script editor. To do this go into player name and replace the player name with:
Spoiler
Show
Thereshallbewings
Go to new script, name it and then go to new line.
Enter trade commands and the fourth script line down is:
<RetVar/If><RefObj>install<Var/Number>units of <ware>
Select this.
For script input select <no return value>
For the first <?> press enter and under constants select: THIS
For the second <?> press enter and under Script input select: <Number> and enter 1.
For the third <?> press enter and under script input select: select ware. Scroll down the list of ware till you find Tractor Beam and select this.
Thats it! your script is done. Press escape and save changes.
Now to run your script, highlight it and press the R key to run the script. When it comes up with Script input select: Select ship or station. Select the ship you wish to install the TBE in and thats it. You now have a TBE.

Remember the TBE can only be installed in M6's and TL's.

The only objects that you can move are your own stations. Trust me when i say it's a bad idea to try to move the shipyard in argon prime. The TBE works like a weapon firing, so the AI thinks that you are firing a weapon at them.

The TBE can't move complexes, or any station attached to a complex.

I wasn't able to find a station that sold the TBE, so i had to script it in, although i think that the best station to sell the TBE is the terracorp HQ (coughhintcough).

To use the TBE, you have to be within about 2.5km of the station you are targeting. when you fire the TBE, it will latch onto the part of the station that you fired it at. You do not need to keep firing at at station to get it to hold on. You can turn your ship in any direction once the TBE is on the station.

Now to move the station you need to slowly move away, or towards the station at about 20m/s or less, any faster and the TBE will lose it's lock. The maximum distance you can move from the sation with the TBE on is about 500m. You have to wait for the station to catch up before proceeding. If you fire the TBE at 2.4Km from the station and move away from the station to 2.9km away, the station will slowly catch up till it is at the original distance from you from when you fired the TBE (2.4km).

If you latch the TBE onto a part of the station that is not the closest poin to you, then the station will rotate untill it is. Basically if you latch onto the east side of a station and head west, the station will rotate west and then follow you.

Now the stations move very slowly, about 1m/s, so when moving a station, SETA is your friend.

When i first used the TBE, i used it to ram my Cattle Ranch in home of light into the Argon Trading Station, which then distroyed my Cattle Ranch. So the TBE can be used as an expensive means to eliminate the competition without taking a rep hit.

Hope this helps everyone

P.S I'm not sure which forum this belongs in as ot has a bit from tech, a bit from scripting and a bit from x in it. Feel free to move it.
[ external image ] [ external image ]
The cake is a lie, but the cube is forever!

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 03:15

Will it move asteroids ?

kethalpak
x3

Post by kethalpak » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 05:51

Nope, the only objects it will move are player owned stations.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 12:00

Pity :)

mufflink
x4

Post by mufflink » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 19:21

kethalpak wrote:Nope, the only objects it will move are player owned stations.
What happens when you try to go through a gate? Imagine the look on some poor :boron: face when he sees an XL SPP coming through. "Boron say's its not that easy", too true mate, too true. :lol:

trueman832
x2

Post by trueman832 » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 19:39

Is this an actual addition to the plot that will "lend" us a tractor beam at some point?

In line with the asteroid question, will it move an ore or silicon mine?

I appologize if this has been discussed in another thread, I don't have time to read them all (too much Profitzzz to make)

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 21:02

I would like to think that mines are movable since the original asteroid you plant the mine on is replaced with "standard" asteroid with mine atleast they all look the same. Could some one try out moving mines.

would be great thing to move the complexes outside of space lanes. :idea:

kethalpak
x3

Post by kethalpak » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 00:20

I tried moving my ore mine , the one one you get with the plot, but it proved difficult to say the least, as i kept moving outside of weapons range. It is possible to move a mine, but it takes longer than moving a normal station.

Oh, i also tried moving my cahoona bakery in Home of Light through the gate to see what happens, it doesn't go to the next sector, it just plugs the gate. :D

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 02:25

I like the idea of being able to move mines. This would enable you to create a complex outside the asteroid belts completely.

Tritous
x3tc

Lmao

Post by Tritous » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 02:53

1: SSP XL...about as good as powerful a station as you can get under 20M. I cant wait for someone to make a script that gets a team of ships to drag SSPs to attack stations with.

2: mines in a complex. WOoOHOOOO!!!!

3, blocking a gate...good way of controling the traffing. even a destroyer is at a disadvantage if it hits a station.

Time to play bowling....

question though....if you have several TBEs will it go faster?
Give a man a fire, he'll stay warm for a day
Set a man on fire, he'll stay warm for the rest of his life ;)

robcoe
x3

Post by robcoe » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 04:19

Blocking the gate certinly does have posabilities. I just wonder how much of that kind of damage a SPP can take

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 04:26

not enough, but apparently the wreckage is still a decent blockage.

robcoe
x3

Post by robcoe » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 04:33

Sounds like fun. Mabey now i can lock those annoying paranid into their own sectors.

kethalpak
x3

Post by kethalpak » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 04:36

I put 8 TBE's into my centaur to drag a station, but i didn't notice any difference in speed.

Tritous
x3tc

hmmm

Post by Tritous » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 08:34

I think it's 4,000,000 points on hull and 12,000,000 on shields. takes a beating
Give a man a fire, he'll stay warm for a day
Set a man on fire, he'll stay warm for the rest of his life ;)

mufflink
x4

Post by mufflink » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 14:27

Would be nice if they added a command via the Special Command Software to allow remote moving of ships I'm presuming they haven't.

Mufflink.

Forcy
x4

Post by Forcy » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 15:31

you can plug those anoying Xenon sectors and thier patrolls... wonder if you get race rep if they hit your station...

Forcy

Jsangster
x3

Post by Jsangster » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 15:36

wouldnt this only work if you were in sector, as collisions arent calculated out of sector

nice idea though

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”