X3: Firelance - Project Being Taken

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

SteelRush
x4

X3: Firelance - Project Being Taken

Post by SteelRush » Sat, 11. Feb 06, 07:16

I wanted to announce to everyone that Firelance X3 work has begun. Don't expect a release very soon, because the mod is going to be massive. We have alot of work ahead of us porting what was done in X2 into X3.

To anyone waiting on our X2 project, it has been cancelled in favor of X3. If there are any talented folks out there who are interested in helping out with X3 Firelance development, let me know. We can mostly use scripters and 3d artists.

Mokonzi
x3tc

Post by Mokonzi » Sat, 11. Feb 06, 12:37

What is Firelance? I'm intrigued. Didn't hear of it for X2.

unfunfofmpc
x3

Post by unfunfofmpc » Sat, 11. Feb 06, 14:25

It was a massive rebalance mod that changed many of hte weapons in the game. It was a great X2 mod, though the weapons weren't perfectly balanced :P.

SteelRush
x4

Post by SteelRush » Sun, 12. Feb 06, 05:36

Mokonzi wrote:What is Firelance? I'm intrigued. Didn't hear of it for X2.
Have a look in the link in my signature.

What is being planned for X3 will go far beyond this. :)

Rynx
x3

Post by Rynx » Sun, 12. Feb 06, 07:45

I have 2 questions for the this mod
1 what is it that this mod is gonna do?
2 Was this also a mod for Freelancer cuz the name sounds familiar.

Electric_Kola
x3tc

Post by Electric_Kola » Sun, 12. Feb 06, 07:47

SteelRush wrote:

Thats very good news mate, I really enjoyed it in X2 so I cant wait for the X3 version :)

Any teasers to whats going to be new? 8)
"There must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the universe can be said to be zero, From this it follows that the population of the universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the product of a deranged imagination" - Douglas Adams

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Sun, 12. Feb 06, 13:36

Its good to see modders waiting a while to see what x3 needs before dashing of and changing it. The finished mod should be all the better for it.

Good luck steel :)

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 12. Feb 06, 13:42

i might be able to help you with some scripts.

currently working on quite a few myself, but could always find some time to do a few if you need them ;)

SteelRush
x4

Post by SteelRush » Sun, 12. Feb 06, 15:52

RMK wrote:
SteelRush wrote:

Thats very good news mate, I really enjoyed it in X2 so I cant wait for the X3 version :)

Any teasers to whats going to be new? 8)
Thanks to many hardcodings being lifted, I can finally do what I wanted to do. Here's a brief overview of the plans:

- Larger universe based on the X universe with a vast unknown region to explore.

- Unique shield, gun and missile grid per race.

- Totally redesigned economy. Each race will carry a unique economy, and won't have quite so much in common with their neighbors as before.

I got most of this into X2, so it's just a matter of porting it to X3 and tweaking for what new things are possible now. I think you can tell the project is huge, but I've got some very talented folks helping. :)

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Sun, 12. Feb 06, 21:34

Wow, I would think you'll wait a little longer to start it Steel. What prompted you to get started on the X3 version? If it's anything like the X2 version, this will be a biggest X3 mod ever.
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

SteelRush
x4

Post by SteelRush » Sun, 12. Feb 06, 21:38

Galaxy613 wrote:Wow, I would think you'll wait a little longer to start it Steel. What prompted you to get started on the X3 version? If it's anything like the X2 version, this will be a biggest X3 mod ever.
What prompted me to do it is some economy hardcodings in X2 that put a wall on what we wanted to do. Rather than limit what we wanted to do, we explored X3's options, and liked what we saw. So, that is what prompted the announcement.

We figure that considering the sheer amount of hardcodings we don't have to overcome, it will actually make the work a little easier on us, since I don't have to constantly find "creative" ways of getting around them. :)

Wolfkin
x3tc

Post by Wolfkin » Mon, 13. Feb 06, 02:15

I'll be waiting eagerly :) it all sounds very good to me.

Best of luck with the mod and wishes for no problems during development.

liquidthunder
x3

Post by liquidthunder » Mon, 13. Feb 06, 18:14

- Larger universe based on the X universe with a vast unknown region to explore.

- Unique shield, gun and missile grid per race.

- Totally redesigned economy. Each race will carry a unique economy, and won't have quite so much in common with their neighbors as before.
wow i cant wait to see that in action

aka1nas
x4

Post by aka1nas » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 02:13

Great news! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

Any chance of getting a full economy going such that shipyards consume resources to build ships etc?

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 02:30

aka1nas wrote:Great news! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

Any chance of getting a full economy going such that shipyards consume resources to build ships etc?
I don't know about that, but I do know if this version will be anything like the X2 one, the economy will be VERY different then the offical X3 economy... for one, no more energy cells.
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

SteelRush
x4

Post by SteelRush » Fri, 17. Feb 06, 00:06

Galaxy613 wrote:
aka1nas wrote:Great news! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

I don't know about that, but I do know if this version will be anything like the X2 one, the economy will be VERY different then the offical X3 economy... for one, no more energy cells.
Energy Cells will have their place...just not the place of the backbone of the economy.

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Thu, 2. Mar 06, 22:33

Well I don't know about anyone else but I'm excited!!! :D

Kurt Shur'Tugal
x3

Post by Kurt Shur'Tugal » Fri, 3. Mar 06, 05:06

Hi guys

i would like to see these ideas in your mod (if u like em)

1. a fortress station, i was thinking about 24 guns (4 guns to a turret), also these fortresses would be specialized ex: anti fighter fortresses would be completely equipped with flak cannons and anti-capital ship fortresses would be equipped with gamma ppc's

2. create NEW sectors for the xenon and khaak i mean its pathetic the khaak only have like 5 and the xenon have about 4, they supposed to be the big bad i just blew everything in your sector up bad guys they should have many more sectors (like 10-15 each)

3. create the Earth sector along with 7-10 other terran sectors

4. a earth m2 destroyer, they have a m1 carrier (odin) but they dont have a destroyer, so i say some good modder go create one (make sure it looks as cool as the odin)

i was thinking it could look a little like this..... back [==|) front
with 40 guns

5. a M0 class for ALL races (including xenon+khaak) that both you and the cpu use (i was thinking a total of 12 guns to a turret)

6. a SD class (superdreadnought) slow but with lots of crushing power (perfect for sitting on top of a jumpgate and shooting down with 20 guns to a turret onto some poor stupid fool :D :lol: :wink: )

7. A SMARTER AI when it comes to trading (in other words if i set up shop in a unknown sector i want trading ships to start coming to ME not the other way around) and fighting (self explanatory)

8. and probably my best idea yet... periodic extremely INTENSE wars between multiple random races that last for hours as the races take over each others peoples sectors and build their own stations there

XENON AND KHAAK INVASIONS i want to see massive waves of xenon (or khaak) ships attack other sectors periodically and take over, build stations and begin patrolling it while the original owner of the sector builds up a fleet and tries to take it back (sometimes winning or losing :P )

just some ideas for your mod, hope you like em

p.s what u guys think good or bad?

TSO
x3

Post by TSO » Fri, 10. Mar 06, 02:21

For thouse X3 players that never heard of Firelance I've played it my self and loved how much smoother things were and the advances made...(Although I did put up a lot of arguement for a stronger corvet...)

Anyways... Steel my X2 works after installing a broodwar expansion and patching it :p... dunno what it did but it did it...

I wish to apologize for past activitys... I guess I was just trying to hard to keep work going and to remain useful...

I'm not looking to be re-hired as even though I got X3. I've got to wait until I upgrade my graphics card...

Anyways... I was hopeing I could get the last available Firelance mod for X2 seeing as I hate how vanilla lags...

I'm haveing trouble getting to any of the links to firelance seeing as deleted all of my links and connections to firelance and alot of others recently...

So if you can drop me a link I'll be done and gone...

EDIT: Scratch that request... FINALLY found a link in the old X2 topic... TY Stell for dropping it... I've seen the new site and I say not bad... Reminds me of my school site a little much but w/e... l8r!
"Since the house is on fire, let us warm our selves"
"Warning. We detect illegal cargo on board your ship. Please eject it immediately.... Ok everyone out the air lock! (Slaves) "

Rheinlander
x4

Post by Rheinlander » Fri, 10. Mar 06, 04:15

The Terran carrier is called the Odin? Haha, that's awesome, I didn't know that, and when I spawned myself a Terran fleet just to play around, I named everything with a Norse theme, the carrier was the Ymir, the M3s were Fenris, the M4s the Baldur, and the M5 was the Munin (after one of Odin's ravens that see everything, given it's a scout ship). I also spawned a couple of Mercuries and named them Sleipnir (after Odin's horse).

Anyway, more on-topic, I didn't get a chance to play Firelance for X2, seeing as I moved to the USA about 2 months into first playing the game (which I borrowed from a friend), but I just read the details of what it did and it sounds great, so I look forward to seeing the X3 incarnation.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”