Found a use for System Override software!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

Found a use for System Override software!

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 13:51

Napping ships out of Xenon sectors

Have been visiting the Xenon a lot recently in an effort to get my combat ranking up (those 12 million+ assassination missions that I can't accept yet have been taunting me!) whilst there, generally blowing a lot up in my Python I been getting quite a lot of L's bailing.

Rather than just leave them there I decided to try and retrieve them. this is my method:

Get a fully maxed Discoverer Raider, with a Jumpdrive some EC's, Navigation command, a transporter device, boost extension and SysOS.

Fly into xenon sector at full pelt, head for the bailed ship dodging fire, when you approach it, you might have to slow down, quickly transfer control using SysOS and then beam over the JD, EC's and Nav command software, order it to jump out to the nearest friendly sector. Head back out the gate.

Needless to say doing all that whilst under fire and getting your new ship out intact can be quite challenging, but rewarding if you pull it of right under the noses of 2J's a K and lord knows how many L's as I did last night!
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Dartje
x4

Post by Dartje » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 13:58

xenon ships are cap'able ? :? :o

Is that modded in or something ?
Win the crowd...

bolo

Post by bolo » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 14:05

not a mod script. xenon are capable.
so far i've only capped L's

...also: No pilot bails

Dartje
x4

Post by Dartje » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 14:08

ok im now highly confused. Your saying the pilot doesn't bail out, so how to cap it then ? (just eject and hope the N doesnt crush you when he passes you with 500 speed ?) And aren't xenon pilots more like AI's inside the computer systems of the ship ?
Win the crowd...

skyb1ue
x3

Post by skyb1ue » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 14:09

I've capped loads of L's. M's and N's usually die too quick to cap.

I've not known anything higher then a L get cap'd though
Guess who got his copy for christmas

skyb1ue
x3

Post by skyb1ue » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 14:10

ok im now highly confused. Your saying the pilot doesn't bail out, so how to cap it then ?
I guess you make the onboard systems crash rather then a pilot operating them abandon.

Dartje
x4

Post by Dartje » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 14:12

Well... maybe its just me then :D

I have trouble capping a pirate nova even.... (got loads of busters though lol :D)
Win the crowd...

Infinitesima

Post by Infinitesima » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 14:17

I have a couple of L's and M's and one N. I have found the capping rate vs. Xenon ships to be much lower than that of pirates though.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 14:18

MOst people have trouble capturing Novas due to the rear turret. Best bet is to stay about 1km away and that should allow you to strafe around incoming fire.

Alternatively just hit it very hard and fast and if it doesn't bail, destroy and move on :)

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

skyb1ue
x3

Post by skyb1ue » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 14:20

If it helps I use the following;

Nova Raider 4 md's, 4 ahepts with an extra md in the rear turret. Tactic is to hit hard and quick in 1 or 2 runs at the L. I must have sold dozens by now.

I usually just clear Xenon sectors with my Nova over a few hours. Attract attention of a group of L's with mossie missile or 2, and get them to chase away from the rest of the Xenon fleet until theres enough distance to take them one without the fleet getting involved (usually tackle 4 to 5 at a time this way).

You dont get a cap everytime, but often enough.

Dartje
x4

Post by Dartje » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 14:43

Al wrote:MOst people have trouble capturing Novas due to the rear turret. Best bet is to stay about 1km away and that should allow you to strafe around incoming fire.

Alternatively just hit it very hard and fast and if it doesn't bail, destroy and move on :)

Al
Could it be because im running a buster with 2*bpacs and 4*aire's ?
Win the crowd...

ethoward71
x3

Post by ethoward71 » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 14:54

Dartje wrote:xenon ships are cap'able ? :? :o

Is that modded in or something ?
The first Xenon ship I ran into in this game bailed on me, it was a Xenon L. He was part of a small group, the L and 2 M's in some random sector. The hull was damaged very badly, so I just sold it at the closest ship yard.

I haven't gotten one to bail since.

Brutal
x3

Post by Brutal » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 14:56

Dartje wrote:
Al wrote:MOst people have trouble capturing Novas due to the rear turret. Best bet is to stay about 1km away and that should allow you to strafe around incoming fire.

Al
Could it be because im running a buster with 2*bpacs and 4*aire's ?
Try 4*bpacs and 2*aire's that should help some. Nearly half of my fleet is composed of capped ships but I just don't worry about it any more. At first I kept wondering what I was doing wrong but now I just hit them hard and fast. If they don't bail when their shields are gone and 80% hull then I just make one more pass and get rid of them.

Kazuma
x4

Post by Kazuma » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 14:56

M's and L's is all Ive been able to get, although I think he may be talking about capturing this:
Spoiler
Show
Scorpian Raider in Xenon Sector 101
or somthing similar.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 15:17

Yeah you can cap Xenon, they don't bail as such, no pilot bails that you can see, but the ships turn blue and have no pilot and you can claim them.

I think the lots of bails I've been getting are a side effect of using FAA's, they do heavy damage to M3's pretty fast hence all the bailing.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

acrh2
x3

Post by acrh2 » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 15:59

Bail or no bail, Xenon do leave their ships one way or another in an unmodified game. You can cap them.

I have something like 15+ Xenon ships ready to be capped, just sitting there after I've cleared out 3 Xenon sectors.

However, Xenon ships aren't that great and I'll probably just leave them there.
C2Q 6700 @ 3.50 GHz, OCZ 2x2GB @ 400, EVGA Nforce 680 sli,
EVGA gtx 280 FTW , Mitsu DP 2070SB 22"
X-FI Fatal1ty, Klipsch 5.1 UIltra, Sennheiser HD555
2 x WD Raptor 74 + 2 x 150 GB Raid0, 850W + 430W PS

Lorric
x3tc

Post by Lorric » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 17:01

As I understand it, the Xenon is a machine race, so if you make a ship turn blue, it's because you have hit the main machine intelligence and therefore the ship is now pilot-less. This is the reason that no pilot leaves the ship.

big_feef
x3tc

Post by big_feef » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 19:06

I've capped L's and M's, but I always seem to destroy N's to fast. I'm still trying to cap a P; but I don't think you can cap M6's...

On that note; has anyone capped Khaak ships? I'm currently hammering a Khaak incursion into Red Light and no luck.

Misinformed
x3tc

Post by Misinformed » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 19:40

Basically Xenon are running Windows 3000, a little under a thousand years of progress. However the software developers failed to note that if there figher craft actually get shot (i know, the chances of that happening are infinitum :wink: ) it automatically reformats the onboard 150,000,000 GB maxtor hard drive that stores its flight combat AI. Just as well b/c that noise you hear when an L moves in close proximity to your ship, thats the hard drive.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Wed, 15. Feb 06, 00:51

Dartje wrote:ok im now highly confused. Your saying the pilot doesn't bail out, so how to cap it then ? (just eject and hope the N doesnt crush you when he passes you with 500 speed ?) And aren't xenon pilots more like AI's inside the computer systems of the ship ?
Xenons are terraforming robots. There is simply nothing to bail out. I guess them surrendering a ship amounts to a short circuit. They do this occasionally (not on XI missions though). You can cap some L,M,Ns from their raiding paries, on the xenon taxi missions and in their sectors.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”