AEGIS Weapons System

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

telemancer
x4

AEGIS Weapons System

Post by telemancer » Sun, 19. Feb 06, 01:40

What does it do/how do I use it?

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sun, 19. Feb 06, 02:49

Aegis ?

That was a script for X2. Not implemented for X3 yet (I think).

It allowed you to put gun crews on turrented ships, improving the aim and performance. They would swap guns when appropriate and were more effective all round. Down side was finding the crews, as they were transported around and only appeared on trading dock trade screens for seconds at most, so you had to know where the transport was going and be waiting there ready to buy as soon as the crews appeared on the trading screen.

ISammael
x3

Post by ISammael » Sun, 19. Feb 06, 22:46

I find that name to be quite appropro... the real AEGIS system, implemented on the Arleigh Burke-class naval destroyers [US] integrates the sensors and weapons systems on the destroyers. My brother-in-law serves on DDG-51, the flagship and namesake of the AEGIS flights.

Anyways, I'd love to see something like that for X3, but instead of only being able to hire them on stations, it'd be pretty cool to be able to hail them in space - similar to a Spacedock Transporter thingy - and hire them that way. Dock at the nearest station and the crew switches automatically.

But it should take time for each gunner to reach the other gun - kinda like in Star Wars... :D

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 07:38

The X2 script was inspired by the real AEGIS.

See the FAQ what it does. The Gunnery Crews alone -- without AEGIS -- are a big boost to the killing power.

Apparently, something similar to parts of the AEGIS script has been implemented in X3, because the turrets have been said to swap guns, if possible. However, the choices do not seem always to be 'smart'.

Wolfkin
x3tc

Post by Wolfkin » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 07:52

It consists of two things. When you install the script military transports start flying around
the universe with soldiers (gunnery crew) that you can hire for your ships that are equipped with turrets.
This raise the effectivness of your turrets. To hire soldiers you have to find a transported with
soldiers on and then you follow that ship until it land on a station. When the transport has landed
that station got a new temporary comodity to sell (gunnery crew) and you can hire them.
The crew constantly cost some money and in order to have the turrets constantly manned you will
need at least three men as they work in shifts.

The second thing is a special ware you can buy (Aegis) that, if you have a crew hired, lets your turrets
select the threat that is most dangerous to you at the moment and fire at it, should there come another
threat that is more serious they shift target to this new threat.
The Aegis system is very expensive and basicly it is only on M2 or M1 ships that it is worth installing on.
It does however do a big difference.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”