Need info on Override Sofware...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aliist

Need info on Override Sofware...

Post by Aliist » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 22:25

What does it do? Why it is illegal?

Mokonzi
x3tc

Post by Mokonzi » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 22:43

It automatically claims ships for you, to save you doing the space walk. Why's it illegal? Not sure, but perhaps it's to do with you running of with someone ship.

Imagine in real life, decide to take a nice space walk, wander off, some gut comes along, overides you control of it and then wanders off, leaving you stranded.

Perhaps.

Tetragramaton
x3

Post by Tetragramaton » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 23:17

All I want to know is how do you use it?? I have one on one of my fighters in an elephant.. (That way when they scan me it doesnt get reported). But I havent figured out how it works. I figured it would be in the targeting system of the menu, but that doesnt seem to work.. Please help.

Mokonzi
x3tc

Post by Mokonzi » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 23:20

You need to target a claimable ship. Then select the info menu, then the claim button when you are within range. Not sure of the range, but it's probably within a similar to distance to doing a spacewalk.

No special commands as such.

I have heard comments that the police scans search even the docked ships, but I've not found that to be true yet.

Syklon
x3

Post by Syklon » Thu, 23. Feb 06, 05:04

Cycrow's system override mk2 does the same thing but is legal if you care to enter the script/mod forum, rather expensive at like 600k i think, but seeing as how you get rich enough (i.e. once you start thinking in millions) this convienance is worth it, and if the range is anywhere near the same its around 3 km or so

And I'm pretty sure the police do not scan any computer piloted ship (whoever owns it) for illegal goods, but if the illegal good is in a ship that is docked in the ship you are flying i have no idea, so you might not want to pilot that elephant

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 23. Feb 06, 05:14

The Mk2 isnt legal, its just not detectable :)

Subtle distinction I know.

The devs consider claiming ships to be pirate activity, thus it being illegail to claim the software.

The way the software works is it basically sends out a virus into the other ships computer which takes control of the ship for you. So its a hostile act. Therefore an act of piracy, thus illegal.

Mk1 only works really close.

Mk2 works up to 5km away, and if your further than that, it moves the ship into range automatically.

If you intend to cap for a living, Mk2 is essential. imo.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 24. Feb 06, 21:19

if u think of the MK2 as an improved version that has a jammer built in to prevent police from detecting it ;)

which is y it costs quite abit more

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Need info on Override Sofware...

Post by Nanook » Fri, 24. Feb 06, 21:28

Aliist wrote:What does it do? Why it is illegal?
[ :rant: ]
Why is it illegal. Because Egosoft mistakenly thinks that a 600K cr device shouldn't be used to ease some of the tedium of the game. The whole purpose of having to claim ships was in response to complaints from players that captured ships in the middle of a firefight would often get destroyed by the enemy before the fight ended. Hence, since they aren't yours till you claim them, the enemy wouldn't attack them.

Now, I can see having to eject and claim a ship in the early goings of the game, but to force the player to do it throughout the game is silly. Hardly anyone ever uses the SOS because of the hassle. I don't. Why pay an exhorbitant cost for something that you have to drop the first time you get scanned?? And it's not like it saves THAT much time. You still have to get within range of the ship to claim it. :roll:
[/ :rant: ]
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Sirus5
x4

Sos

Post by Sirus5 » Fri, 24. Feb 06, 22:29

In the Yaki Disrupter mission, where you can capture lots of Yaki, I cannot seem to eject out of my ship - thus, this piece of software is very indispensable as I want to claim my captures and send them off for selling or fixing. Thus, it has it's use in this mission, but I wouldn't use it anywhere else.

I can transport to other ships, I can swap ships in a station, but just cannot eject from my ship whilst in space... I guess this has something to do with the mission.

SirMathew
x3

Post by SirMathew » Fri, 24. Feb 06, 22:42

Override system version 1 is useless for me and i still cry for the money that i had gived... :cry:

Because

1) it is illegal and you must drop it EACH TIME some patrol scans you

2) you still must go close (30m) to claim the ship

3) have i mentioned that it is illegal and you must go really close ? :wink:

But cycrow's improved version is much more interesting and if i was not used to space walk each time to claim my ships then i gaved it a try...

But now ... i like to walk from time to time on my spacesuit and see the stars from a speed of 12 and always taking a look on my map to see if they are enemies nearby... :P
X2 STATS:AoA 1th Grade
Proud NOVA,CENTAUR,ZEUS,K,Oddy PILOT

X3 STATS ??
Nova Vanguard,Elephant,centaur,colosseus Owner
Current trading rank : Master Industrialist
Current Combat rank: Warlord
The only hope in my universe

apricotslice
x4

Re: Need info on Override Sofware...

Post by apricotslice » Sat, 25. Feb 06, 03:15

Nanook wrote: Why is it illegal. Because Egosoft mistakenly thinks that a 600K cr device shouldn't be used to ease some of the tedium of the game. The whole purpose of having to claim ships was in response to complaints from players that captured ships in the middle of a firefight would often get destroyed by the enemy before the fight ended. Hence, since they aren't yours till you claim them, the enemy wouldn't attack them.
Which isnt true anyway. I just did a Nopilios Memorial Xenon bunfight, capped a number of N's, and had to stop for sleep half way through. But the caps are already destroyed. And I hadnt claimed them.

You hit the nail on the head in the first statement. Egosoft does not like people shortcutting the tedium.

Mk2 claims is how it should have been done by egosoft in the first place. Anyone who seriously expects a pilot to space walk to claim a ship is in serious need of a shrink on danger money. My preferred option is a claims droid, which also doubles for collecting wares in the sector.

SirMathew
x3

Post by SirMathew » Sat, 25. Feb 06, 21:53

I have capped till now over 100 ships and there was noone destroyed from the enemy after they bailed and before i claimed them... :wink:

Unless they were destroyed by me before i stopped hitting :evil: so it is weird that you have destroyed ships...

Anyway,is was also in the begin angry with the claim ship procedure in X3 because in X2 it was very easy to claim them but now i have used it...

As for a shrink,uh... i do not think that i need one...
No thanks :wink:
X2 STATS:AoA 1th Grade
Proud NOVA,CENTAUR,ZEUS,K,Oddy PILOT

X3 STATS ??
Nova Vanguard,Elephant,centaur,colosseus Owner
Current trading rank : Master Industrialist
Current Combat rank: Warlord
The only hope in my universe

blottogg
x3

Post by blottogg » Sun, 26. Feb 06, 04:13

The way I get around the problem of being scanned is to put the SOS in an M5 (a captured N named "Slim Jim" naturally) and keep the M5 in my TL. When I clean out a Xenon sector (it takes a while with my Centaur, but aside from random shots/collisions, I've never had a problem with abandoned ships being destroyed during the process) I jump the TL in, transport over to the M5 and start claiming. Once I've got the TL full, I jump it to a shipyard, disgorge the contents, lather, rinse, repeat.

Making SOS illegal and detectable is kind of silly, but I guess I can compare it to my M5's namesake. If the cops caught me in a parking lot with a "Slim Jim" (the flat metal tool used to slide down along window glass and pop car door locks, not the beef jerky with stupid commercials), I'd probably get a ride downtown. With my workaround, or one of the scripts, it's not too hard to overcome though. A little pricey for a lock pick though.
"A poor plan, violently executed, is better than no plan at all." - "Sledge"

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 09:07

Out of curosity, does having the M5 parked on a M6 qualify as 'hidden' during scans? If so, that'd work.

Mokonzi
x3tc

Post by Mokonzi » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 10:37

That's not part of the normal unmodded game at the moment, but it likely would be treated as any other ship.

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 14:21

I was wondering why my SOS kept disapearing........thats twice i've bought it now and twice its disappeared.

Yeah I was scanned I know..............
lIfE iS a bOwL oF cHeRrIeS

Fingoniel
x3tc

Post by Fingoniel » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 14:25

I take it the SoS doesn't work on piloted ships? :)

if it did - that'd be a good reason for it to be illegal.
(though getting 30m from a moving enemy ship could be fun)

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 14:30

Someone did claim to ahve modified the script to forcibly eject the pilot once the shields were down to 5%. Now that would make it illegal :)

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 06:19

SOS being illegal is stupid. It would make sense IF you got police after you when your out in a 'suit claiming ships.

If using software gets you in trouble, so should anything else.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 08:03

Jakesnake5 wrote:SOS being illegal is stupid. It would make sense IF you got police after you when your out in a 'suit claiming ships.
Can you think of a LEGAL use for the System Override Software? If you can, then it being illegal is stupid. Otherwise...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”