How to elegantly kill a Khaak cluster.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Zaijka
x4

How to elegantly kill a Khaak cluster.

Post by Zaijka » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 15:24

Please share your favourite ways. Mine is as follows:

1.Take one firefly missile and one hurricane missile;
2.Approach a cluster at 5-6 km;
3.Sit comfortably, take a cup of tea;
4.Target the cluster;
5.Press “L” button to launch the firefly missile and immediately press “L” another time to launch the hurricane missile;
6.Press “F3” for better view, enjoy.
7.After the explosion, press “F1” to return to normal view and give a chase to the only survived and damaged Khaak fighter.

Cheers, Zaijka

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 15:26

Hit it unbroken with a mass of PSG energy.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Darklight86
x3

Post by Darklight86 » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 15:29

All I had to do was fire a couple of AHEPT bursts at one and it blew itself up with missiles :o
>3.2 Ghz
>2gig RAM
>X850XTpe GPU
>865p NEO 2 fisR
>SB X-Fi

8_bit
x3tc

Post by 8_bit » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 15:36

I like using Ion Disruptors on a Cluster. When it breaks up, they tend to spam missiles off at you, if you're holding the IonD's on them the missiles all explode on launch, taking all or all but the fighter (now badly crippled) out.

I like the sound of esd's suggestion but PSGs on my game are the equivalent of the "Quit" button, only not as system-friendly.

/me patiently awaits 1.4 :)

fud
x3

Post by fud » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 15:37

A single Hornet makes short work of it too. :)

GlorfindelX
x3ap

Post by GlorfindelX » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 15:46

fud wrote:A single Hornet makes short work of it too. :)
\

That;s like killing ants with a sledgehammer. Nice bang. I just use ahepts, targeting the fighter first.

pospi
x3

Post by pospi » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 15:49

I gotta go with PSG's plus AHEPTs on the fighter. Sure they're a spammy, annoying weapon, but sometimes you just want the Kha'ak to go back home and let you get on with things (:

fud
x3

Post by fud » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 15:49

I believe in thorough and utter destruction. :D

Wanna know what else is excessive? 4 BFAAs fired at a Harrier. :twisted:
Last edited by fud on Mon, 27. Feb 06, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

Kraznor
x3

Post by Kraznor » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 15:52

6 MDs + 2 IDs on an unbroken cluster is now my favorite method. Usually wipes it all out without a whimper.
Nyax wrote:The dummies guide to energy weapons, and what you can expect if shot by them-

Red/Orange- Stop it! That Tickles.
Blue- Ouch! That Stings.
Green-AHHHH! it burns, it burns!
White- and i'm dead.

smiley
x3tc

Post by smiley » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 16:01

My favourite way is to fly up behind a cluster very slowly (about 10m/s). When you get very close start firing. Usually, all the Khaak M5s will start firing missiles. But they are so close that they end up destroying themselves. And if you keep firing you can take out the M3 before it turns. You end up with a nice flaming ship, but shields are only dented (in an M3 with 50MJ)

However, if the M5s don't fire missiles, you are left with a lot of cleaning up to do. The best way is to finish the M3 off and then slam it into reverse (-10m/s) and keep on firing. The ship should autotarget the remaining M5s. Hopefully you will get most of the before they turn on you.

:) Smiley :)
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs . . . you'll be taller than them.

herocrafter
x4

Post by herocrafter » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 16:06

I get up personnal like with a single mosquito. Head on till I see the whites of there eyes let it rip and fly up up and up some more. Return to kill the single fighter survivor. Don't think the mosquito kills the cluster as much as the they kill themselves trying to get to me. Could be wrong it could be a chain reaction explosion too. But anyway for the cost of a single mosquito and some hair raizing flying, it reduces the cluster to just one fighter. Not pretty but efficient. Still flying my buster, btw.

ecniv
x3tc

Post by ecniv » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 16:19

I went for an unknown missile and 4.5km away.
Targeted.
Launched.
Khaak cluster slowed to a halt (obligingly)
Boom.
Nothing but dust.

Missile cam was interesting ;)
Alienware Area 51/7500, Geforce 8800 gtx, 2gb ram
Alienware laptop m5550, 2gb, 7600go
Commodore Gx9770, 4gb, quad q9300 2.5gHz , gtx 260 (replaced) - Vanilla game (no extra scripts except the upgrades from es)
*¥ Most posts written on an iPhone - please excuse mistypes/replacements ¥*

I'm not locked in her with you. You are locked in here with me. Watchmen-Rawlins

Jolly_Roger_uk
x3

Post by Jolly_Roger_uk » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 16:28

ecniv wrote:I went for an unknown missile and 4.5km away.
Targeted.
Launched.
Boom.
Nothing but dust.

An 80K missile on a cluster that at best gets you a 5000 bounty and worst get you a measly 500.

Think I'll stick with my tried and tested, get to 1km away, and let rip at the fighter in the middle with 4 MD's and 4 AHEPT's, then kill all the scouts individually thus getting maximum credits.

targetdrone
x4

Post by targetdrone » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 16:30

what? noone tried squash mines yet? :p

8_bit
x3tc

Post by 8_bit » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 16:33

Targeted.
Launched.
Boom.
Nothing but dust.

I've done that one a couple of times as well. Interesting in that you get the credit for killing the cluster, not just another fighter and a bunch more scouts. I wonder if getting the cluster as a whole does more for your fighting rank than the combined increase from it's component ships.

Would seem logical that way, if anyone can answer that one either way I'd be interested to hear.

Zaijka
x4

Post by Zaijka » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 16:44

8_bit wrote:
Targeted.
Launched.
Boom.
Nothing but dust.

I've done that one a couple of times as well. Interesting in that you get the credit for killing the cluster, not just another fighter and a bunch more scouts. I wonder if getting the cluster as a whole does more for your fighting rank than the combined increase from it's component ships.

Would seem logical that way, if anyone can answer that one either way I'd be interested to hear.
Very interesting ... I'll try this tonight. Does hornet missile give you the same bonus of killing the whole cluster?
Z

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 17:49

WELL HERES AN EASY ONE i WAS STRUGGLING FOR AGES UNTIL Get nice and close just under 1.00 distance once you have done this fire. They will break up but stay in same postion. Then just fire like mad and you will find you would have taken about 80% of them out. Now just mop up the rest. Its as easy as that. :lol:
Star Trek Phase II watch new episodes now at

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com

My computer is fast very very fast ;)

Follow me on Twitter @Formula1Dragon

antman112
x4

Post by antman112 » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 17:57

i found 6 custers all togever once so i made a plan to take them out
i got one unknow missle and AIRE's
i fire the AIRE's at all the custers then set off a unknow right in the the middal of the lot

BOOM all dead aprat from one custer that was out of rage

then this one custer being made up of 30 khaak M5's comptly and uttaly mashed me in my nova

if they bake up you dont stand a chase i tell you they just never miss its inpossable
thats why i like it so much :lol:
sorry of any spelling mistakes

LordAnubis
x2

Post by LordAnubis » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 17:58

Funny thing is when you kill a cluster with a 80k missile you get the cluster come up as a list of kills ie the stats now if you get a different cluster (more or less ships) you get a second cluster show up in the stats

After checking my stats so far ive killed 4 different types of clusters

Alche
x3

Post by Alche » Mon, 27. Feb 06, 18:02

Hasn’t all this changed on the latest patch?

As soon as anything gets near them now they break up, so I found out to my cost.

Up to 1.3 patch it was easy whacking them as everyone above says.

Confirmation please…..

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”