x3: aurora missiles, useless?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aurora missiles: useless?

useless.
79%
you are on crack, they're great
21%

Total votes: 42

halo112358
x3

x3: aurora missiles, useless?

Post by halo112358 » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 00:36

Is it just me, or are aurora missiles incredibly hard to use effectively? Unless I'm missing a feature somewhere there's no way to tell where your missile is before you detonate it.

To me this makes aurora missiles useless as missiles, basically they've become a commodity to be salvaged and sold.

I guess I'm just getting tired of dumping my salvaged missiles every time I find an equipment dock :lol: what am I missing here?

General Dave
x4

Post by General Dave » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 00:40

You could try targetting your missile (t) then setting the camera angle to be just in-front of it, see an enemy and blow the missile.

IMO, anything less powerful or slower than a thunderbolt is just plain crap and not deserving to be launched out of your tubes.

I withold my vote, as T*bolts are great isn't on your list.
:)

Kazuma
x4

Post by Kazuma » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 00:56

Silkworm fanboi myself... got a shiny fab up; and litter the universe with em... Tbolts are good too, but being I tend to use a M6, I think top down... Medium to Heavy fighter guys prob thinking bottom -> up... as little m5's give me the most trouble... M3's are little more then 3-4 seconds out of my day. I 'tried' to use the aurora some... with clusters and whatnot... and ultimately; crap... if all you have is a toss up between a dragonfly and that... I spose you could use that to hedge your bet on "some" kinda damage... but why, just sell it and get some silks.

8_bit
x3tc

Post by 8_bit » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 01:15

I confess - I'm the one (so far) person that voted to say they like auroras.

reason - fire 2 in rapid succession at a khaak cluster and most of it disappears. Quite quickly.

layton99
x3tc

Post by layton99 » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 01:26

isn't the second screen set to missle by default? If not well mine is so I can see the flight of the missile I just fired.

Voted useless because even when you do fire them and detonate the timing has to be good and well just can't be bothered.
Layton

For the SPLIT!

halo112358
x3

Post by halo112358 » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 01:27

8_bit wrote:I confess - I'm the one (so far) person that voted to say they like auroras.

reason - fire 2 in rapid succession at a khaak cluster and most of it disappears. Quite quickly.
that's a really good use for them, that's what I was hoping to hear :D

Kazuma
x4

Post by Kazuma » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 01:41

that's a really good use for them, that's what I was hoping to hear
Just run em over in your M6... no fuss no muss.

mdimasso

Post by mdimasso » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 04:26

8_bit wrote:fire 2 in rapid succession at a khaak cluster and most of it disappears. Quite quickly.
I figured an easy way of destroying clusters... just park your ship 50 meters away the cluster and unleash all the power of all your weapons to the middle of it. The Kha'aks will start firing a lot of missiles and they will hit themselves destroying everything but a Fighter. The bad side is that you only get the merit for the Fighter, but it is good when you are starting and don't want some clusters to clean friendly sectors.

8_bit
x3tc

Post by 8_bit » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 18:02

mdimasso wrote:
8_bit wrote:fire 2 in rapid succession at a khaak cluster and most of it disappears. Quite quickly.
I figured an easy way of destroying clusters... just park your ship 50 meters away the cluster and unleash all the power of all your weapons to the middle of it. The Kha'aks will start firing a lot of missiles and they will hit themselves destroying everything but a Fighter. The bad side is that you only get the merit for the Fighter, but it is good when you are starting and don't want some clusters to clean friendly sectors.
Thats what I usually do, but the OP's question was about Aurora missiles :)

If it's a big cluster and I'm in a laggy sector I'll fire a couple of Auroras at it, usually evens the odds a good bit. About the only real use for Auroras (other than finishing off a badly damaged capship quickly) I've found.

Lux Logos
x3

Post by Lux Logos » Thu, 2. Mar 06, 15:00

how do you change the camera to see what the missle sees? I just fumbled around with the 6 I've captured but never able to zoom in on target or find the camera for my missle.

On a related topic..sorta..what method to the good pilots use to target incoming missles. I currently only know of target closest enemy or target next target. There has to be a better way (I hope)

fud
x3

Post by fud » Thu, 2. Mar 06, 15:06

Lux Logos wrote:
On a related topic..sorta..what method to the good pilots use to target incoming missles. I currently only know of target closest enemy or target next target. There has to be a better way (I hope)

I just turn at the incoming missle, and let a blast of laser fire out. They're usually pretty easy to hit, and if you do it a couplekm away, you shouldn't take much/any damage (Hornets tend to sting a bit tho).

It doesn't take much to shoot them down. Couple hits from about any weapon will do it.

8_bit
x3tc

Post by 8_bit » Thu, 2. Mar 06, 15:09

Lux Logos wrote:how do you change the camera to see what the missle sees? I just fumbled around with the 6 I've captured but never able to zoom in on target or find the camera for my missle.
Go into "Options" > "Monitors" and set "Monitor Mapping" to "Auto Missile". It will say "No Missile" to the left of the setting but when you launch a missile you'll see a chase view from it in a monitor which will appear in the top right of the screen. This monitor can be made bigger using the maximise button at the top, but on my game I can't use any of the ship controls while the missilecam is active so be careful!

antman112
x4

Post by antman112 » Thu, 2. Mar 06, 15:19

what there good for geting a buch of pirates and a khaak custer
M5's slow down a lot and the M3 are right for the picking after one of thows
allso it gets there attchon :D
sorry of any spelling mistakes

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”