How good are PBE's?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Wandering Panther
x3tc

How good are PBE's?

Post by Wandering Panther » Sat, 11. Mar 06, 10:46

I'm at the point of buying myself an M6 and am tempted by the Hydra - good speed, cargo and generator. It can handle PBE's, but what is the firing rate, damage caused and energy consumption?

Basically, are they a good weapon choice for two/four/all of the mounts:?:

Ile
x3

Post by Ile » Sat, 11. Mar 06, 11:11

I like the Split dragon best because of its superior speed, weaponpower and ability to mount AlphaPPC´s... Never tried Hydra though.

PBE is a tricky weapon. I think its originally meant to be a capital ship missile defence weapon. It has very short range (approx. 1 km) and does low damage (approx. same as AlphaPAC), BUT is has VERY high rate of fire (Best RPM in the game) and it has VERY high "projectile" velocity (hits its target almost instantly, rarely misses) and it sucks ALOT more energy than, for example, AlphaPAC...

Thats all I know from my experience of using that weapon... Got rid of them pretty soon cause of the very short range ( I used them in my Titan as anti-fighter weapons, but enemy fighters rarely came close enough to be destroyed by my PBE´s)

There are guys in this forum who have the real specs for every weapon in the game, but I like to test them in combat to find out which fits best for me.

Wandering Panther
x3tc

Post by Wandering Panther » Sat, 11. Mar 06, 11:21

Thanks

I have been waiting for the Argonopedia, hoping the stats would be ready when I was but got a Xi mission in Black Hole Sun - Xenon K decided to join in and I got Seven Mil for popping it and the L's.

I wanted the hydra so that I could do some trading as well, but my business empire probably doesn't need that much help anymore :)

Ryuujin
x3

Post by Ryuujin » Sat, 11. Mar 06, 11:37

Nah, Hydra isn't a very good pick. It's never been much use, even in X2.

PBE's are a fighter's weapon really or a turret gun (I usually mount 2 of them on my mamba as a kind of "machine gun" mount for when I want finesse over sheer damage capacity).

I'd recommend a Centaur, with HEPT's up front, and MD's or PACs in the turrets. I havn't tried the osprey, but doesn't that also have side turrets? Might be worth investigating. Dragons are certainly solid if you load them purely with APPCs, out of sector they'll vapourise most threats on first encounter (even other M6's), although are pretty useless in-sector.

Dragons are also pretty good for personal corvette since they do handle quite well.

Wandering Panther
x3tc

Post by Wandering Panther » Sat, 11. Mar 06, 12:40

Damn, I'll have to suck up to the split! :P

I don't even have a police licence with them yet, but I don't think I am too far off. then I'll have to try and find an XI :twisted:

teki
x3tc

Post by teki » Sat, 11. Mar 06, 13:07

Too bad the Plot BPBE (the one you use in the AMT back turret in the start of the plot) isn't usuable normally, or was made into a GPBE or even TBPE/DBPE. That Plot BPBE most certainly is devastating enough, where the normal APBE and BBPE aren't:

Weapon - Range - vs Hull - vs Shield
A PBE - 892M - 22 - 567
B PBE - 998M - 35 - 945
P B BPE - 2000M! - 1000! - 3000!

How else could a single B BPE turret ever lay waste to dozens of Yaki M3/M4/M5, as fast as it does in that mission?

1 weapon and its only use is this mission :roll:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”