Damage vs Range from hammerhead/firestorm explosion

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Geggo
x3tc

Damage vs Range from hammerhead/firestorm explosion

Post by Geggo » Sat, 11. Mar 06, 14:20

In the picture you see the comparison of Hammerhead missile and Firestorm Torpedo damage vs Range (from detonation).

As I had only M6 to test with I could not get the impact figures. (so theyr estimated)

http://koti.mbnet.fi/~kauhanen/blast1.JPG

Hammerhead missile minimum safe distance = 1250 m
Firestorm torpedo minimum safe distance = 1100 m

During testing I also found absolutely no way to make hammerhead or firestorm to explode "in the tube" when firing it in "safe enviroment".

And I tried to fire them while not moving, moving, strafing , turning, accelerating, slowing down, rolling yawing, barrel rolling, pointed at target, not pointed at target.

So this means only ways to get one of this to "accidently explode" are:
-You are firing main weapons
-Your ships turrets are firing at something
-You are fired upon (no need to hit, bolts passing close by may set them off)
-another area effect weapon set it of (PSG,IOND,hammerhead/firestorm/hurricane blast)
-Some one colided with one (I quess it COULD happend, not just all that common)

Update:
Forgot to mention that during testing I had my elephant around too and it turns out that blast damage acts pretty weird on big ships:

I parked my elephant 250 m (distance from front turret) from the "target ship" agaist which I then lauched hammerhead, and it received no damage, cause the bridge of the elephant was 1.3km away from the blast center.

So this brings up an interesting point since firestorm torpedo only has blast radius of 1.1km so if one torpedo hit elephants nose dead on it would still receive no damage....... (I did not test this yet though)
Last edited by Geggo on Sat, 11. Mar 06, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

membreya

Post by membreya » Sat, 11. Mar 06, 14:33

Just one point...we're in the metric system, range is measured in km's ;)

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Sat, 11. Mar 06, 14:38

erm

millimeter mm 10 mm = 1 cm
centimeter cm 100 cm = 1 m
meter m
kilometer km 1 km = 1000 m

membreya

Post by membreya » Sat, 11. Mar 06, 14:42

i most humbly retract my comment :)

you'll need to forgive me, 4 hours sleep and then 16 hour straight of X3 makes for a slightly confuzzled adam :?

Mon Mothma
x3

Post by Mon Mothma » Sun, 12. Mar 06, 02:41

Excellent graph, thanks!

Just a off topic note, images with lots of text like that are usually better served as a .png than Jpg. .png works better for line compression than JPG which tends to artifact it to hell and back.

McPhearsom
x4

Post by McPhearsom » Sun, 12. Mar 06, 02:59

PNGs are also generally bigger files too but it depends on what app compresses them. For a simple graph like that with few colours then GIF is your best option.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”