OK. What exactly is the function of the TP in X3 ?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Roz-pT
x3

OK. What exactly is the function of the TP in X3 ?

Post by Roz-pT » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 21:11

I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time now. So seriously, is there even any reason for the TP to exist?
fdjrk

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 21:15

for carrying passengers ;)

althou theres a major problem with them in X3 and for some insane reason egosoft made most of them with only S or M freight instead of L

they are usually faster transports than a TS so good for trasporting those smaller, more epxepensive hightech goods

Roz-pT
x3

Post by Roz-pT » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 21:18

Yeah for carrying passengers obviously, but are there any practical reasons ( a.k.a. money reasons ) to use them?
fdjrk

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 21:19

but there is a problem with their price though, that's what put me off. if I need something to sell high tech stuff for my factory and the TS is not fast enough, I find the M5-Hauler is a much better choice then a TP, both effectiveness wise and economy wise.

The TP costs more then it's actually worth. :wink:

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 21:23

Roz-pT wrote:Yeah for carrying passengers obviously, but are there any practical reasons ( a.k.a. money reasons ) to use them?
u can do the variou s passenger transport missions, like tour of a lifetime

or get a script so u can sell those passengers as slaves and make quite abit of moeny that way ;)

Roz-pT
x3

Post by Roz-pT » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 21:24

Cycrow wrote:
Roz-pT wrote:Yeah for carrying passengers obviously, but are there any practical reasons ( a.k.a. money reasons ) to use them?

or get a script so u can sell those passengers as slaves and make quite abit of moeny that way ;)
Haha, the slaves ideia is sweet. As for the Tour of a Lifetime I suppose it's not profitable. Anyway, it's good to know that we can do it. A nice RPG feature.

Thanks guys.
fdjrk

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 21:30

Roz-pT wrote:
Haha, the slaves ideia is sweet. As for the Tour of a Lifetime I suppose it's not profitable. Anyway, it's good to know that we can do it. A nice RPG feature.

Thanks guys.

That depends on your rank, just like any BBS mission you can earn quite a lot of money when your rank enough, and Tour of a Lifetime is good when you don't want thing get messy.

With a jumpdrive and a refueling ship, you can visit half the number of available sectors in one trip. That's lots of money.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 22:13

Cycrow wrote:

Absolutely. :thumb_up:

newdean
x3

Post by newdean » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 01:16

Compared to TS ships, TPs are vastly overpriced. (Compare your fave with the plain vanilla Caiman.) Which suggests the best function of them in the game (besides the Tour...) is to capture or find them and sell them at half of that already inflated price.
Pirate dentistry: Make 'em open up and say "AAAAH..."

NightPrince
x3ap

Post by NightPrince » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 01:44

I use the TP for supplying my fabs with ecells-they are faster than tha TS and thus are able to reach the SPP with cheapest ecells before the completion.

McPhearsom
x4

Post by McPhearsom » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 01:58

I'd have though TPs were a bad choice for energy cells since they only hold about 500-1000 cells and are at best 2x faster than a transporter that can hold over 10,000.

That's a lot of return trips to make to stock your factories and every time you buy the price increases. With a TS you may only need one delivery to fully stock an M sized factory. Speed is meaningless if you have to travel 10x the distance instead.

High Tech goods take up very little space and each delivery will be small, you could get away with using a M4 or M5 to transport that.

The TP seems far too expensive for what it is actually useful for.

beach07
x3

Post by beach07 » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 02:14

Cycrow wrote:

you actually need a script for that?

Tigerhawk71
x4

Post by Tigerhawk71 » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 02:15

TP ships were really only for moving goods that were in a faster market than a TS ship can keep up with. Look in a factory that has a high demand for something, and if it does quick business, your TS will probably miss out, and if it doesn't, there won't be much left for it. the TP ship has one use, and thats to get there faster. But the Caiman seems to be the ship of the day now.
Split alive!... Not for much longer you aren't...

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 02:59

beach07 wrote:
Cycrow wrote:

you actually need a script for that?
well, i thought there was a way to do it without a script, but i've not actaully managed to do it

egamadeus
x4

Post by egamadeus » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 07:18

why can't you accept the mission, go find the nearest pirate station, (you would have to get there quick) and then sell your cargo?

I bet if you did this it would ruin your rep tho...

but I have never tried it, I want to tho, as soon as I get my hands on a TP.

egamadeus

toltec
x3

Post by toltec » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 10:10

Picked up a tour in Ceo's Sprite, ran south then through the pirate sectors (extra bonus payments) to Argon space.

Result = 935,000 credits

Worth it?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
George Bernard Shaw

Lanky
x3tc

Post by Lanky » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 10:22

I got a tour in Black Hole Sun (I think) and made 1.5 million by spending a nano-second in a Xenon sector.

Mauzi!
x3ap

Post by Mauzi! » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 11:06

Mightysword wrote:With a jumpdrive and a refueling ship, you can visit half the number of available sectors in one trip. That's lots of money.
Not working like that. Using the jumpdrive during such mission will ruin your payment to maybe 10% or so.

Mauzi!
x3ap

Post by Mauzi! » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 11:09

egamadeus wrote:why can't you accept the mission, go find the nearest pirate station, (you would have to get there quick) and then sell your cargo?

I bet if you did this it would ruin your rep tho...

but I have never tried it, I want to tho, as soon as I get my hands on a TP.

egamadeus
"Passengers" are no accepted wares by default - only "Slaves" are. The scripts modifies the stations to accept "Passengers" aswell.

Mauzi!
x3ap

Post by Mauzi! » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 11:11

Lanky wrote:I got a tour in Black Hole Sun (I think) and made 1.5 million by spending a nano-second in a Xenon sector.
Yep, those special sectors are nicely rewarding now, making the TP a useful earner ship nowadays if you know what to do.

Sadly, the "Unknown Sector" is not a special at all, which really is a bummer. Afterall if it is unknown by now, it should be as special as a pirate sector.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”