Logittech Wingman Force Not Working

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

omenelite
x2

Logittech Wingman Force Not Working

Post by omenelite » Tue, 25. Nov 03, 08:56

Got a wingman force joystiick which shows up as a choice in the X2 setup screen, but it wont let me map any keys, and it doesn't respond in game.
Any ideas?

The game never exits cleanly either, it always gives an unexpected operation. Luckilly this doesn't happen in game, but it does happen in the benchmark every time.

Specs:
GF 4200 52.16 Drivers
Athlon 2100 @2000
Audigy
1 GB RAM

sylk
x2

Post by sylk » Tue, 25. Nov 03, 09:16

Same problem here with the logitech Wingman force 3D.

Tried latest driver from logitech site and all my USB ports. Windows detects and calibrates joystick but X2 will not bind buttons and nothing on the joystick works in game.

Game seems to be fine in all other respects.

System
512M Ram
Radeon 9700 pro
XP 2400
Asus A7V8X Motherboard
Gametheater XP soundcard
Win XP pro

GimpsRazoo
x2

Same here guys....

Post by GimpsRazoo » Tue, 25. Nov 03, 10:17

Ok i am really pissed off now. Not only did i cook the motor in my bike on the 100k ride to buy this game that i have waited for for so long, but i get it home and it will NOT work with my Logitech Wingman Force 3d joystick.... did i mention this stick cost me $100 bucks and i ONLY BOUGHT IT TO PLAY THIS BLOODY GAME...... i dont have any other flight sims, im normally a fps type of psycho. so my question is, ARE EGOSOFT gonna give me back the $90 bucks for the game, or the $100 for the stick.....

i also have the problem where the game will not exit cleanly, it comes up with an unexpected error. also if i try to run it again without rebooting, it tells me that i have less than 100mb of swap file left, funny, coz it is a blank 20GIG HARD DRIVE!!!! WTF?

not happy egosoft....... following in microsoft's footsteps and releasing software that should have been an open beta, to let the public pay big bux to discover your bugs.... very poor form....

game looks great otherwise.

Gimps.

yan338
x3tc

Post by yan338 » Tue, 25. Nov 03, 10:21

I have the same problem, except that I have a thrustmaster topgun fox 2 pro shock, so it seems like it might be a problem with the game

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue, 25. Nov 03, 12:20

i dont have the game yet ( live in Denarmk ) so i can´t test it. Has anyone of you tried this game whit a Logitech Extreme 3dpro joystick ????

KevinAnderson
x2

Post by KevinAnderson » Tue, 25. Nov 03, 15:08

I have the same problem. Just bought the game this afternoon, and it works fine with my Logitech Dual Action controller, but not with my Logitech Force 3d Joystick. Setup detects it, but won't let me map keys, and it doesn't function in the game. Great. I guess the gamepad is an option, but it doesn't feel right. I've had the joystick for a while now, and didn't buy it just for X2. I bought X2 from EB, so I'll just return it if there's no solution to this problem. Seems a bit odd though; I mean, it's not like it's an uncommon joystick. Anyone else got this problem? (Apart from the previous posters, of course).

Frigonius
x2

Post by Frigonius » Tue, 25. Nov 03, 15:24

KevinAnderson wrote:I have the same problem. Just bought the game this afternoon, and it works fine with my Logitech Dual Action controller, but not with my Logitech Force 3d Joystick. Setup detects it, but won't let me map keys, and it doesn't function in the game. Great. I guess the gamepad is an option, but it doesn't feel right. I've had the joystick for a while now, and didn't buy it just for X2. I bought X2 from EB, so I'll just return it if there's no solution to this problem. Seems a bit odd though; I mean, it's not like it's an uncommon joystick. Anyone else got this problem? (Apart from the previous posters, of course).
From the spoiler forum, I got the impression that there's a problem if there are multiple controllers plugged in into an USB-port. Maybe take out the Logitech Dual Action controller, restart your PC, and try again ?
"Don't mind the mess, mess the mind !"

KevinAnderson
x2

Post by KevinAnderson » Tue, 25. Nov 03, 15:28

Yes, I thought that may be a problem too, since the setup program crashed or gave an error message when I tried to select an input device when two were plugged in. However, even after a reboot with only one controller plugged in, the problem persists; X2's setup sees the Wingman, but that's it, I can't use it! Still trying though...

Frigonius
x2

Post by Frigonius » Tue, 25. Nov 03, 15:49

KevinAnderson wrote:Yes, I thought that may be a problem too, since the setup program crashed or gave an error message when I tried to select an input device when two were plugged in. However, even after a reboot with only one controller plugged in, the problem persists; X2's setup sees the Wingman, but that's it, I can't use it! Still trying though...
I'm just saying whatever comes into my head : maybe there are still drivers left of the removed controller - if you uninstall these, and restart, it might work now. Don't sue me if that doesn't work either :oops: ...
"Don't mind the mess, mess the mind !"

Steel
x4

Re: Same here guys....

Post by Steel » Tue, 25. Nov 03, 16:02

GimpsRazoo wrote:Ok i am really pissed off now. Not only did i cook the motor in my bike on the 100k ride to buy this game that i have waited for for so long, but i get it home and it will NOT work with my Logitech Wingman Force 3d joystick.... did i mention this stick cost me $100 bucks and i ONLY BOUGHT IT TO PLAY THIS BLOODY GAME...... i dont have any other flight sims, im normally a fps type of psycho. so my question is, ARE EGOSOFT gonna give me back the $90 bucks for the game, or the $100 for the stick.....
I doubt it. While we have (and will) make every effort to support everything we can, we haven't recommended any particular make/model of controller to my knowledge.
GimpsRazoo wrote: i also have the problem where the game will not exit cleanly, it comes up with an unexpected error. also if i try to run it again without rebooting, it tells me that i have less than 100mb of swap file left, funny, coz it is a blank 20GIG HARD DRIVE!!!! WTF?
Windows error. For whatever reason, your computer isn't exiting properley. Something that hasn't been seen in 1000's or hours of beta testing on a myriad of setups. Because the program didn't exit cleanly, its still got a large chunk of its ram content stored in your swapdrive (which actually tells me you have a low amount of ram - but that's all it tells me).
GimpsRazoo wrote: not happy egosoft....... following in microsoft's footsteps and releasing software that should have been an open beta, to let the public pay big bux to discover your bugs.... very poor form....
This currently looks like a problem with your setup, not our software. However, it only looks that way. Can you provide a complete and detailed specification of your machine including hardware, OS and all associated patches/service packs etc and then we can start from there?

We can assist with telling you how to get this information to us if need be (PM me).
GimpsRazoo wrote: game looks great otherwise.
Thanks!

Steel

Fugazi
x3

Post by Fugazi » Tue, 25. Nov 03, 20:00

Have you tried removing the Logitech drivers and just using XP's generic ones? That has worked for me in the past. Sometimes DirectInput gets messed up when using proprietary drivers.
I have the Logitech Extreme Digital 3D, but no X2 yet (I preordered from dvdboxoffice) so I can't test it yet to see if that stick works.

Button1

Post by Button1 » Tue, 25. Nov 03, 22:29

I posted a tip you could try somewhere, but now I can't find it.. :lol:

However, please go to controlpanel->Gamecontrollers and tell what ID your stick gets there..
This might be a bit old but worth a try:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... us;q191849

IF this trick works I bet Egosoft/Enlight/QT(sp??) would be VERY :D to get it confirmed.

Button1

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Wed, 26. Nov 03, 01:26

Long ago in a galaxy far ,far away I had this same problem with my logitech strike force,I had to go into the profiler(logitech) and create a profile for the game then launch game from the profiler and then everything worked fine. hth

IAmMarauder
x4

Post by IAmMarauder » Wed, 26. Nov 03, 03:59

Looks like I'm not alone.

I have tried the standard XP Drivers, and when that didn't work I hunted out the Logitech drivers for my Wingman Force 3D. Similar problem to the guys here...

<edit: For clarification: The joystick is in the controller list. I cannot use it to assign new buttons, and when I select it from the drop-down it crashes X2.exe. Will try a different USB port tonight as well.>

I have another controller I will try, and let you know what happens.

For the record:

Athlon 2600+
WinXP Home (SP1 + the Welchia Worm Patch)
GeForce 4 Ti4200 VGA Card
256Mb Ram

BTW The game is sweet. Even without the joystick I can see myself getting addicted....

One quick question: Is there a way to change mouse/keyboard sensitivity? I find the mouse to be a bit sluggish to pick up movement, and the keyboard is too sensitive. I can live with it, but I thought there may be something I have missed...

Well done EgoSoft. This is the game Freelancer should have been!

omenelite
x2

Post by omenelite » Wed, 26. Nov 03, 10:31

I had both a MOMO wheels and the Logitech plugged in, but had no joy when I removed the MOMO and just left the Wingman Force

jalmead
x2

Logitech Wingman Force 3d

Post by jalmead » Wed, 26. Nov 03, 11:13

Hello

Not wanting to put to fine a point on it but.......

Will Egosoft supply a patch for these wingman joystick issues or will i take the game back to the shop in disgust.

These joysticks are so common and every other game out there doesn't have a propblem with them so come on egosoft give us some good news.
:evil:

Steel
x4

Re: Logitech Wingman Force 3d

Post by Steel » Wed, 26. Nov 03, 11:28

jalmead wrote:Hello

Not wanting to put to fine a point on it but.......

Will Egosoft supply a patch for these wingman joystick issues or will i take the game back to the shop in disgust.

These joysticks are so common and every other game out there doesn't have a propblem with them so come on egosoft give us some good news.
:evil:
You'll be pleased to know that we are checking this TODAY! As we don't yet know what the problem is (drivers, OS's, USB version, etc) I can't say if a patch is required or not. What I can say is that we view it as a serious issue and will find the problem and solution whatever that may be.

hth

Steel

GimpsRazoo
x2

Post by GimpsRazoo » Wed, 26. Nov 03, 11:56

thankyou i am maruader, the syptoms u are describing are an exact match to mine.....

to clarify further, i believe it is a problem with the way that x2 interfaces with the logitech sticks.... this is for a few reasons......

1 my serial joystick works fine and can be mapped...
2 i have run the logitech force 3d with windows drivers, logitech drivers, and both of the above on a fresh installed system, with ONLY xp and x2 installed.

3 have tried various combos of service packs, patches drivers and updatees to no avail....

4 MAIN REASON.... i grapped a cheap $30 usb joystick today and it works in x2 no problems..... now this is just a slap in the face... lol

logitechs $100 sticks don't come up to par with a $30 Quickshot GenX500

ooh lah lah...... any more ideas guys?

gimps

IAmMarauder
x4

Post by IAmMarauder » Wed, 26. Nov 03, 12:23

Well, I tested it with my other joystick. Just to confuse the issue it is a Wingman Extreme (no force-feedback). Works like a charm :) Didn't change anything except the joystick. The only problem I have is that the z-axis doesn't work, but that is because the joystick is on it's way out (I had to wipe an inch of dust of it :P).

I wonder if it is just an issue with force-feedback? I might give the Mostromo Controller a shot and see how it goes...

Steel: If you have any questions, or want me to try anything, please feel free to ask.

yan338
x3tc

Post by yan338 » Wed, 26. Nov 03, 14:21

I used the Thrustmapper software to remap the joystick (Thrustmaster pro shock 2) axis to the mouse axis, which let me use the joystick ingame. However it doesn't feel right (i've tried adjusting sensitivity etc) so I'm back to using the mouse until the problem is sorted. At least it means that the game is able to recognize commands from the joystick through the usb port.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”