Squash mines how effective against the khaak?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

drewlad
x3

Squash mines how effective against the khaak?

Post by drewlad » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 09:43

I've got a whole bunch of Khaak in Profit Centre Alpha, So far they've caused the usual problem of wiping the sector out, and with all the scouts/fighters now destroyed I'm left with a few Destroyers and Carriers Causing havoc.

It's real pain losing my new UT's, so I thought about loading up with Squash Mines, going back - getting their attention - drawing them out of the main Sector Plane and dropping half a squillion Squash Mines into their path.

Usually I'd Mass Driver them to death, but I want to get creative.

Has anyone tried this? do you think it'll work? and if so what's a nice workable amount of Squash mines?

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 10:37

I think something like 40 mines can kill a destroyer :)
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 11:04

When I tested them in 1.3 they did about 60MJ worth of shield damage and enough hull damage to kill an M6. Don't know if that has changed in 1.4.

inkalsecurity
x3

Post by inkalsecurity » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 11:47

Player. wrote:I think something like 40 mines can kill a destroyer :)
Really??

That sounds good.. have you tried this?
If anyone knows about this, please let me know!

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 11:59

Do the math - 40*60MJ = 2.4GJ, destroyers have 8-10 GJ of shielding so you'd need about 4 times as much to make any impression. Also, the damage reduces with the distance so you'd either need to set them off very close to the target or use a lot more of them.

drewlad
x3

Enough said

Post by drewlad » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 12:06

xalien wrote:Do the math - 40*60MJ = 2.4GJ, destroyers have 8-10 GJ of shielding so you'd need about 4 times as much to make any impression. Also, the damage reduces with the distance so you'd either need to set them off very close to the target or use a lot more of them.
Enough said, mass driver it is then - huh.

tikanderoga
x4

Re: Enough said

Post by tikanderoga » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 12:44

drewlad wrote:Enough said, mass driver it is then - huh.
How do you do that¿
A MD got a range of 1000, the KM2 got a range of 4.8 km, just for the gamma KE, then at 3.4, the beta KE join in, and starting at 1.7, you will get your arse wooped with the alpha KE - No way to get close enough to empty 1 box of MD-Ammo per gun, counting 8 Guns to the front. :o
If you got a monopoly on an operating system, and you make tons of money by supporting it, why fix it?

drewlad
x3

Re: Enough said

Post by drewlad » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 14:57

tikanderoga wrote:
drewlad wrote:Enough said, mass driver it is then - huh.
How do you do that¿
A MD got a range of 1000, the KM2 got a range of 4.8 km, just for the gamma KE, then at 3.4, the beta KE join in, and starting at 1.7, you will get your arse wooped with the alpha KE - No way to get close enough to empty 1 box of MD-Ammo per gun, counting 8 Guns to the front. :o
I've done it a few times, but it has to be said; 2 times out of three you'll get fried so pay the Goners a visit and stock up on SI.

I have a supertuned Nova so that helps. I release half a dozen fighter drones to distract it then creep around the back, get really up close and personal - match your speed, use the straf drive and empty 8 mass drivers units into it.

It takes a little while to have the desired effect, and it pay's not to have to many scouts/fighters about as they tend to launch waves of missiles, so turret up with another MD set for missile defence. You never know the Scouts fire can actually help you destroy it, oh yes!

How close do you have to be I hear you ask?

A horny Bull, get the picture? :shock:

Hey look I've come full circle, and I thought I was asking for help! Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 16:23

atleast you got friends to play with :cry:

I havent seen a single khaak capital ship after I took out the "1.3 invasion" that was total of 4 khaak capital ships in 2 diff sectors, and that's 7 game days ago.....

Ocational cluster which usually gets busted wide open by my M6 patrols.

I have several different methods for khaak takedown I wished to give a go but no those yellow belly wussy's deceide not to show up.

Oh well I quess I have to settle for Xenons then...

tikanderoga
x4

Post by tikanderoga » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 16:28

Gotta try that trick... I got 2 M2 and 2 M1 hogging Tharka's Sun.. and My TS need to get through there to some fabs in Cho's Defeat... :shock:
I definitely need to get me a MD fab and an Ammofab aswell... and maybe a 2nd Nova... *starting to write wishing list*
If you got a monopoly on an operating system, and you make tons of money by supporting it, why fix it?

Kiro-San
x3

Post by Kiro-San » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 16:36

This is why I love my Titan. 8 bPPCs on the front waste a Khaak M2 nicely. Just need to get some gPPcs now.
<+darthpony> geez dude
<+darthpony> with my last gf
<+darthpony> I made the most terrible fruedian slip
<+darthpony> we were sitting at breakfast the one day, and I wanted to ask her "pass the sugar please"
<+darthpony> instead I said "you're ruining my life, you ****** bitch"

drewlad
x3

If only

Post by drewlad » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 18:26

Kiro-San wrote:This is why I love my Titan. 8 bPPCs on the front waste a Khaak M2 nicely. Just need to get some gPPcs now.
Yeap, that'll do it.

But I can't seem to stick with a new start long enough to get a tasty M2.

Maybe this time, although I'm pretty impressed with getting an Ody myself.

Geggo, maybe if you ran some scripts you'll find they'll spawn them for you. I think Cycrow got a few tasty ones - check 'em out.

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 19:40

Have you people managed to destroy a Khaak Carrier with MD? tried that many times and it failed everytime. I did however make it to the rear end of a Khaak Destroyer and almost took it down before my ammo ran out. Khaak

Khaak M1 seeems to be nimbler and more unpredictable than a Khaak M2. First one is tough to keep up with, the second one is slow.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Wed, 22. Mar 06, 19:56

I dont use math :P
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”