System override software?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

striker495
x3

System override software?

Post by striker495 » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 11:11

what is this software that you can buy off a pirate base do?

nazza
x3tc

Post by nazza » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 11:19

This software allows you to claim ships without ejecting from your ship.

Watch out though it is illegal.

Fekin
x3

Post by Fekin » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 11:21

Just means that when a pilot bails out of their ship, you don't have to get out of your own ship to claim it.

It's also Illegal in many sectors, meaning for what little it does, it brings a whole lot of trouble if you are scanned, you will be ordered to drop it.

Fekin
x3

Post by Fekin » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 11:23

Too slow, again :P

EidolonsFury
x4

Post by EidolonsFury » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 11:25

The general consensus is, it's a lot more trouble than it's worth. If you want something similar but a legal version, check out the scripts forum, I believe Cycrow was the one to release it, as many people didn't see the reasoning behind having such expensive software, that didn't do very much, and was illegal to-boot.
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

nikolaus78
x3

Post by nikolaus78 » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 11:33

I you would like to use SOS without scrpts, then put the software on a fast, small ship (like an M4 with a jumpdrive). Now you go out and hunt masses of whatever and get a number of pilots to bail. Then have the SOS-ship jump to you, switch ships and collect all vessels in the sector. :wink:

EidolonsFury
x4

Post by EidolonsFury » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 11:56

Good point, nikolaus78, there are certain "work arounds" to using the software with little/no fear of being caught with it. Then again, I personally don't mind the space walk all that much, though I do fly my ship very very close before even bothering to get out to do the claiming. It just takes too long in that darn space suit, and in pirate sectors, there's been this habit of more pirates showing up as I'm claiming ships, meaning I don't want to be far from my main ship for when it happens.
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

nikolaus78
x3

Post by nikolaus78 » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 12:24

Right, and there are certain problems to space walking, especially if you are using a M6 or larger.
1. You can't get all that close ~ 80m without danger, meaning you'll have to spacewalk longer (with M3 and good pos: eject, press i, take over, select player ship, get in)
2. When you get back in you better had the engine turned off and the target ship was at your flank otherwise...with some bad luck... :evil:

If you like the excitement of this you can stick with it. Capturing 60 Yaki vessels without SOS (you know what I mean) is just plain boring.

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 15:58

The illegal nature of that software is something i just dont understand. You can cap ships anywhere in the universe and not lose any reputation if they are bad guys. Yet just owning this software is illegal.

Surely if capping is illegal than some rep lose should be incurred too, software or no software.

Also freight scanners, why are they legal ?

I think this area of X3 needs looking at and some decisions need to be made as to whats legal and whats not.

Personally i think the software should be legal.

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 16:06

either the software should be legal, or capping should be made illegeal, afterall, it is effeceivitly stealing a ship

fud
x3

Post by fud » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 17:11

I just use cycrow's override mk2. Sure, it costs as much as 3 Novas, but hey, beats the hell out of leaving the warmth/comfort of your ship. :) I was thinking about trying to add a shield to the space suit, just for fun, shame it'd be a nightmare to add a gun to it, tho, it'd be pretty odd having it shoot IRE bullets out of your face.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 18:50

Cycrow wrote:either the software should be legal, or capping should be made illegeal, afterall, it is effeceivitly stealing a ship
Nah! Claiming an empty ship should never be illegal. After all, if your actions were legal when making the pilot bail (pirates, Xenon, or race ships in their enemy's sectors), then claiming them should be just as legal. And unless the game somehow keeps track of a ship's previous owner, which it currently doesn't, then claiming ships you illegally attacked cannot be illegal either. But that doesn't really matter, since your rep has already taken a nosedive by attacking the ship in the first place.

So no, SOS, whatever variant, should never be illegal. It's just plain silly, IMO. Whoever made that decision wasn't thinking straight. :P

Since it's still officially illegal, I guess I'll have to use your script. But I think I'll change the price and range of operation to match the original. Or maybe you could do it for me? :mrgreen:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 19:02

hehe, I've changed it on mine. In another game I paid the 6.8M for it, but since then I changed it to about about 700k (little more than the Mk1 anwyay). I increased it's range as well. :)

Nearly 7-mil seemed a bit steep for the "legal" version. ;)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 19:10

I don't mind having to get within 50m or so of the target. To me, that's part of the fun. But I've impaled myself a couple of times by getting just a little to close to some of the wider ships when I ejected (Boron fighters are the worst). That's my only safety concern. I never even consider claiming a ship until all nearby enemies are safely disposed of by death or captivity. :fg:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 19:21

I learned that a while ago, wait to cap AFTER the balls of plasma/etc are done flying. I even went so far as to eject to claim it, then heard that awful "BEEZZ" alert. I nearly shat myself. Lets just say a space suit doesn't take IRE shots very well....

Another time, I was creeping up on a recently departed harrier that had about 4 bars of hull left, got to about 60m, and hit the "X" instead of "Z". So I creamed it.

Didn't really bother me all that much, because it was prolly only worth about 12k in it's condition. But then, considering it was on my newly started game (done it the 4th time now, what's wrong with me??), I coulda used that 12k since I only had <200 in my account...

My SOSMk2 has a range of about 5-6k now. So I can claim ships as I'm blasting by them. :D

Abgott
x3

Post by Abgott » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 19:32

Is it possible to modify the original in one of the files and clear the illegal tag from it, or is that hard coded in?

fud
x3

Post by fud » Fri, 24. Mar 06, 19:37

I'm sure it's in the script somewhere. As far as the tfile entry, no. I adjusted the range of the SOSMk2 via script, price in the cat/dat.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”