[IDEA] Program to add ships into the game

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Would you like something like this

Yes
99%
No
No votes
Dont Care
1%

Total votes: 72

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

[IDEA] Program to add ships into the game

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 19:32

I've been thinking about ways of improving modding and i want some oppionion weatther you think this is a good or bad idea.

basically what i propose is a new editor, designed specifically for adding new ships to the game.

The editor will create a single ship file which will contain the modles and all data needed for a single ship.

another program will be needed, possibly even adding it to the script manage to be able to install these ship files. It will basically create a mod that contains all the installed ships into a single mod to load into the game. This would mean anyone who wants to just create a ship could use this without having to create it into a sepearte mod, and users can use any number of these ships they want without having to combine them themselves.

The main problem will be that scripts that use these ships wont have the correct ids, as the ids could be differnet for each game depending on how many ships are installed, etc.
So to get round this, the installer could also create a t file that gets loaded into the game, and will contain ids for the ships along with a string used to indetify the ship. Then instead of calling the id directly you will use a script that converts the string to the correct id.

to use it in scripts, it would be something like

Code: Select all

$ShipID = call script 'plugin.getshipid' ship = 'New Nova'
skip if not $ShipID
   $NewShip = create ship $ShipID ...
Just thought ill note, this isn't for combining mods, its just a way to add new ships into the game
Last edited by Cycrow on Thu, 30. Mar 06, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 19:42

I'm all for new rides in the galaxy. :)

Righteous
x3

Post by Righteous » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 20:41

dno if any1 knows it but something similar was what kept BridgeCommander alive for several years... the original game started with like 20ships or so... and during 2 years the community added like 300 or so... just download the files and press a button on the autoinstall prog and it was added. So it might be a good way to extent the "lifetime" of this game :P

Yellowman
x4

Post by Yellowman » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 21:54

Yeah cycrow good idea i vote FOR :D

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 23:30

I think the idea is :thumb_up: ..

however imo it will have little use .. cause of this line you added ..
Cycrow wrote: this isn't for combining mods
something tells me that is just what people are going to use it for (at least try to)..
wich will than (prob. why you added that line) break the scripts that might be using 'new ships' ...
(have a look at the DDRS-topic and see how many times it has been said that it isnt compatible with v1.4 .. than see how many people simply seem to ignore that info ....)

anyway .. dont let me hold you back ... :)

G

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 23:36

well, the idea of it is not for use with a complete mod, but rather just adding ships.

if its something like the DDRS mod, you could have each of the ships in that mod as seperate ship mods, and it will allow users to pick which ships they want to include.

the only difference would be, that the ships will have to be released individual in a new format.

the program would allow you add any of these ships into an exciting mod without much problem.

plus, its a step closer to fully combining of mods ;)

X_x_X
x3

Post by X_x_X » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 23:53

would be A W E S O M E ! :D

dakega
x3

Post by dakega » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 00:13

Now this is exactly what I've been looking for!!! I for one love having different ways to play the game. don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the DDRS and M7 mods, but I would just as much like to play a game just as it is with hundreds of new and different ships flying around. This is a great alternative to me so please pursue this :D :D :D :D

Elwood J Blues
x3tc

Post by Elwood J Blues » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 09:47

You should be able to toggle what ships you want from a number of mods. For example by the time Deadly has finished his mod there's going to be more than 25 ships, you might not want one of those ships in your game, so you toggle it off. Works the same if you have two or more mods running. You choose what ships are in your game.

Then you could make it work with X2 as well. (Hint, hint)

Elwood J Blues.
Last edited by Elwood J Blues on Fri, 31. Mar 06, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

DarthVain
x3tc

Post by DarthVain » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 09:48

Magic stuff :)
Another one bites the dust!!

DarthVain

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 15:45

This editor that you propose developing is sorely needed Cycrow!!

As more people become aquainted with the process of designing custom ships for this game, we will see more single ships being offered outside of the major mods.

This is exactly what the game needs right now imo to advance the modding community for individuals who simply want a way to put additional ships into the game.

What is the ETA for completion and release of such a utility? :thumb_up:

yeebok
x3

Beautiful idea.

Post by yeebok » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 16:03

I'd like to make me a custom ride one day but besdies understanding the ideas I haven't done it.

I agree with what everyone's said though, many will benefit from it and it will make an aspect of the modding community accessible to more people which can only be a good thing.

Go for it when you can :)
Setup: Quad Q9550/2.8Ghz, 4Gb low latency RAM, 8800GTX/768, 24"widescreen 5x500Gb SATA2s, Win7.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 16:31

nno ETA yet, but i will start work on it soon, and if there rn't too many problems, shouldn't tkae me too long to get it sorted, maybe in a few weeks ill have the first test version ready

jagji56
x3tc

Post by jagji56 » Sun, 23. Apr 06, 06:59

This souds like a great idear. now, if only you could ues it with the CockPit mod..... :wink:

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 23. Apr 06, 10:13

Sounds good. Kinda like Homeworlds tool that someone made that was a complete mod tool to add ships to the game. Called HWSE.

Allowed you to import a ship from say .obj format. Lets you apply smoothing and stuff lets you add animations if model was in multiple objects in a single model file. Let you export as game required format .peo i think it was. Also allowed you to scale model based on reference ship scales that were predetermined. Oh yeah it also did hardpoints too for col detection, weapons, engine points. Best bit the hardpoint section :)

If your tool was somit like that then very cool.

bendyspex
x3

Post by bendyspex » Sun, 23. Apr 06, 10:39

I think all this program is meant to do is allow you to download and install ships into the game, not edit them yourself. If this worked the same as the script installer then that would be great. Just have a list of the ships installed, and all the ship user would have to do is designate the shipyard for it to go in.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 23. Apr 06, 15:47

yeah, its basically a way to allow you to pick and choose the ships you want to install, the ships still have to be created the normal way.

as it sounds now, its very hard to merge 2 mods that add new ships together, this will be a way to allow any number of new ship mods to be added to the game

jeffrey1979
x3

Post by jeffrey1979 » Tue, 25. Apr 06, 10:52

I would love to see a ship import program (perhaps i am the only persons who doesn't have a clue on importing custom made ships) but it is a great idea

katsotas
x3tc

Post by katsotas » Tue, 25. Apr 06, 15:15

This program sounds like a fantastic idea, i know i shall be testing it out as soon as its released.
Good luck Cycrow

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 25. Apr 06, 16:03

As if you need any more encouragement Cycrow. Well, let me add mine once again!

You know people are waiting with baited breath for this utilty. I'll be very interested to see how it might be employed to facitlitate the community mod we are working on.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”