1st message.like to ask a question (X-T / X-BtF)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

I_Am_Gemmell

1st message.like to ask a question (X-T / X-BtF)

Post by I_Am_Gemmell » Fri, 28. Nov 03, 01:08

I have searched for Windows XP posts and have read quite a lot.
So here is my situation and my question: :)

# I have bought X-Gold over the Internet and am expecting it to be winging its way to me with the help of a little Royal Mail van! :wink:

# I am running Windows XP on an Athlon computer.

# I have a nVidia GeForce 4 brand Graphics Card

Here is my question: What known problems should i expect to encounter running X-BTF and X-Tension on XP/with my Card, and what problems did other people find on XP

Note I have already downloaded the Patch "Patch X-TENSION 1.4 to V2.1 English for users of X-GOLD and 1.3.3"

Is this the correct Patch for all X-Gold editions? :?

Thanks a lot and its a pleasure to be a member!
Great Site!! :D :D :D :xbtf: :xt: :x2:

p.s. Can anyone explain to me how to use the "List" Code? (ie
    etc....)
    couldnt get it to work :oops:
    You'll have to speak up. I'm wearing a towel!

---I always wanted to Mua ha ha hah hah :fg:

thrangar
    x4

Post by thrangar » Fri, 28. Nov 03, 01:15

I believe there is a 2.1a gets rid or some docking probs(if I remember right)

I have a machine with the basics specs you mentioned and run same os on that machine, X gold works fine.

Some have reported sound probs do a search for codecs and youl find some help(if you end up needing it)

Cheers/Thrangar

The_Abyss
    x3

Post by The_Abyss » Fri, 28. Nov 03, 01:33

In addition - force feedback is not supported in X-BTF AFAIK for joysticks. Some problems with Win XP can be overcome by running the game in compatability mode.

Adding " -lopri" without the "" can solve keyboard lag issues. Forum searches on othe rspecific issues will probably reveal answers, otherwise there are lots of friendly folks here who will point you in the right direction quick enough.

Welcome to the forums and to the X universe - enjoy your stay. :)
    Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Pinger
    x2

Post by Pinger » Fri, 28. Nov 03, 01:40

The_Abyss wrote:Adding " -lopri" without the "" can solve keyboard lag issues
    hmm dusted off my X-BTF box seeing as I've got a further 5 days wait for X2. I was encounting KB lag, didn't know there was a fix though, thought it was just a issue with USB KB's as thats all I've got now as I used PS2's the last time I played X-BTF.

Well Off to try it ;)

pjknibbs
    x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 28. Nov 03, 08:46

No real problems with X-Tension on XP apart from poor keyboard response, which can be solved by using the "-lowpri" switch or else running it in Win98 compatibility mode. A lot of people have reported odd problems in X-BTF, though, like the ship suddenly spinning out of control or weird lights appearing where they shouldn't be...can't confirm that myself because I never played X-BTF on XP, though.

I_Am_Gemmell

Post by I_Am_Gemmell » Fri, 28. Nov 03, 11:27

Hi
    Thanks guys

But what is force feedback? :?

and where would i enter -lopri? is this something glaringly obvious when you have the game or not? :?:

thanks again people 8)

Al
    x3tc

Post by Al » Fri, 28. Nov 03, 11:28

If you create a shortcut for the game and then open the property window for it there is a section that allows you to put in command line options.

Al
    X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
    X2 Capture Guide

Gary Bolton

Post by Gary Bolton » Fri, 28. Nov 03, 12:10

You should also check Microsoft website, because certain motherboards that use the "VIA Chipset" can have problems in using the MS Forcefeedback joystick. And there is a patch there to fix that issue so they work correctly with motherboards using the VIA Chipset like my Gigabyte Motherboard here.

Just a bit more information to use.
    DELETE MY ACCOUNT!!!

I_Am_Gemmell

Post by I_Am_Gemmell » Mon, 1. Dec 03, 23:37

Sorry for the bump but i though i'd use my original post rather than start a new topic.

I've got my X-Gold now!! WooHoo!!!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D 8) 8)

Now i have just installed X-BTF only and have tried to use the latest patch (2.1 "for users of X-Gold and 1.3.3"). when i run the patch and point it to the right location it says it couldnt patch as i dont have the required version.

so is this patch just for X-tension then? :?

also i notice that my x-btf readme says it is version 1.96 and the website to download the patch says to patch from 1.4 to 2.1...
    so is THIS the problem then?

please help!
    wanna play!! :evil:

:wink:

cheers!

The_Abyss
    x3

Post by The_Abyss » Mon, 1. Dec 03, 23:45

I_Am_Gemmell wrote:Sorry for the bump but i though i'd use my original post rather than start a new topic.

I've got my X-Gold now!! WooHoo!!!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D 8) 8)

Now i have just installed X-BTF only and have tried to use the latest patch (2.1 "for users of X-Gold and 1.3.3"). when i run the patch and point it to the right location it says it couldnt patch as i dont have the required version.

so is this patch just for X-tension then? :?

also i notice that my x-btf readme says it is version 1.96 and the website to download the patch says to patch from 1.4 to 2.1...
    so is THIS the problem then?

please help!
    wanna play!! :evil:

:wink:

cheers!
    If X-BTF is 1.96, then AFAIK it's already fully patched, which is how I think X-BTF shipped in X-Gold version.

The 1.4 to 2.1 patch refers to X-Tension where I think the final patch was 2.1a.

Hope this helps - if so, enjoy playing once it turns up. :)
    Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

I_Am_Gemmell

Post by I_Am_Gemmell » Tue, 2. Dec 03, 00:25

Thanks a lot Abyss :)

unfortunately i have another problem...
    i may have a problem with my graphics card.
    can anybody remember if there is supposed to be a short period during loading screens where the Egosoft screen comes up where the music ends before the logo has finished being displayed
    I ask this as i have a had a lot of trouble with my crad in the past; trying to play a game called Freelancer, it run ridiculously slowly considering the power of my graphics card which is all down to my shi88y Packard Bell i suspect.

also i cant seem to configure my buttons on the keyboard setup.
    there is less options than i see in the manual and when i press the keyboard keys to assign them they dont work (yes i am clicking on the correct option and the dialogue box comes up asking me to press the button i wish to assign).i press the button and the dialogue box goes away but that key isnt assigned! :cry:

any ideas?

\/\EDIT/\/
    Have just read the other thread about key config sorry guys.i neglected to search for my topic 1st.although,the topic didnt exaclty answer my question so please could someone tell me

p.s. i am gonna be majorly annoyed if this game wont run without a joystick as i dont own one and am strapped for cash!

thrangar
    x4

Post by thrangar » Tue, 2. Dec 03, 01:18

xt will run without a joystick,and if I remember right even though you see the keys in the assignment screen very few can actually be remaped(it was a gripe we had against xt)

BurnIt!
    EGOSOFT
    EGOSOFT
    x4

Post by BurnIt! » Tue, 2. Dec 03, 17:42

b.u.m.p. for I_Am_Gemmell
    BurnIt!
    In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft. / In peace lies strength.

I_Am_Gemmell

Post by I_Am_Gemmell » Tue, 2. Dec 03, 17:52

cheers BurnIt. much appreciated

but what about the other post?
    should i just copy an paste the text into anothr reply to tihs thread?
    cos i want an answer on my techincal problems :)

thanks again

EDIT
    Here is the other post i wrote:

thanks to all the people who have helped me so far btw, but sadly im am going to be a braindead noob again

wel, here is my problem now.
    i have accepted that i cant change many keys on the keybd however i was trying to map "W" to afterburner and it wouldnt let me as tihs is preset to roll right.
    unfortunately, now when i press w to roll right it does both!! it rolls right and fires my afterburner!!! not funny i assure u!

also, my ship handles like a rusty mutha-****in whale of a tin can!! is this right?? i am at the start of the game before i have even had the aciident sendin me to the other side of the universe or whatever. and it is taking my ship a couple of seconds to start turning and then takes a while to stop when it picks up any speed (stil whilst turning)

and, it keeps turning all the way back again to face whatever i have targeted!!

i was pressing random buttons to see if they did what they were supposed to (naughty i know considering that voice keeps tellin me to stick to the program or something! - and yes i know some things aren't available until later in the game)
    wel,i pressed the target button and it locked onto the big ship i launched from an now i cant deselect it so my ship keeps turning itself to face it!i cant drive thru those kevlar ring things because im constantly fighting my own steering!

finally, can anybody remember, at the very start of the game, as your ship launches, does the voice tell you that launch is complete before or after you first see your ship out in space?
    because it seemed to me that the vid was lagging far behind the sound - though i was looking for it as i have had the same problem with freelancr (at worst times, the sound having finished a full 5 minutes before the video had caught up with it!)

i really need ALL these questions answered as i am dying to get into the game but its going to be impossible to defend myself if the game s slows down. in freelancer i was forced to use unlimited life cheat to get past some areas because my ship wouldnt turn in time to attack the other ships (which,incidentally, moved as fast as ever).

thanks to any1 who takes pity on me
    Last edited by I_Am_Gemmell on Tue, 2. Dec 03, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

Al
    x3tc

Post by Al » Tue, 2. Dec 03, 17:54

did you try the fix suggested by PJKnibbs? Thats sounds like the problem you're having.

Al
    X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
    X2 Capture Guide

BurnIt!
    EGOSOFT
    EGOSOFT
    x4

Post by BurnIt! » Tue, 2. Dec 03, 19:50

I_Am_Gemmell wrote:but what about the other post?
    should i just copy an paste the text into anothr reply to tihs thread?
    IMO a good idea as the other post will go down the ladder really fast ;)
    BurnIt!
    In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft. / In peace lies strength.

I_Am_Gemmell

Post by I_Am_Gemmell » Tue, 2. Dec 03, 21:11

I'm trying to use the -lowpri switch thing.I searched for lowpri and found a post from 20th November (http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... ght=lowpri detailing how to use this.

It says
    try right clicking on your shortcut to Xt and adding this switch and the end of the .ex
    which was written by thrangar.

I have tried this and i keep getting told that this path is not valid.

here is what i have tried putting in the TARGET box on the properties:

*"C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.exe-lowpri"

*"C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.ex-lowpri"

*"C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.exe -lowpri"

*"C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.ex -lowpri"

*C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.exe-lowpri

*C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.ex-lowpri

none of these have worked.the box keeps popping up informing me that the name in the target box isn't valid and i should check that the name and path is correct.

similarily i have tried typing in -lowpri in the START IN box with the same results...NUTHIN! :wink:

how do you use this lowpri switch then?

p.s. i think i remember reading that the lowpri thing resolves issues with Keyboard Lag.i dont believe this is the problem with my computer.when i press the key,say, to turn left it moves but pretty slowly.
    this is why i think its a problem with the running rather than keybd problems.

or does it fix more than keybd lag?

moggy2
    x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Tue, 2. Dec 03, 21:16

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\X-196.exe" -lowpri
    sometimes you can experience a lag after pressing a key for a menu which the takes a second or two to appear.

If the ship's turning slowly, then it's probably supposed to turn slowly.

thrangar
    x4

Post by thrangar » Tue, 2. Dec 03, 22:14

I_Am_Gemmell wrote:I'm trying to use the -lowpri switch thing.I searched for lowpri and found a post from 20th November (http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... ght=lowpri detailing how to use this.

It says
    try right clicking on your shortcut to Xt and adding this switch and the end of the .ex
    which was written by thrangar.

I have tried this and i keep getting told that this path is not valid.

here is what i have tried putting in the TARGET box on the properties:

*"C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.exe-lowpri"

*"C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.ex-lowpri"

*"C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.exe -lowpri"

*"C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.ex -lowpri"

*C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.exe-lowpri

*C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.ex-lowpri

none of these have worked.the box keeps popping up informing me that the name in the target box isn't valid and i should check that the name and path is correct.

similarily i have tried typing in -lowpri in the START IN box with the same results...NUTHIN! :wink:

how do you use this lowpri switch then?

p.s. i think i remember reading that the lowpri thing resolves issues with Keyboard Lag.i dont believe this is the problem with my computer.when i press the key,say, to turn left it moves but pretty slowly.
    this is why i think its a problem with the running rather than keybd problems.

or does it fix more than keybd lag?

:oops: there is a space between the ex and the -

pjknibbs
    x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 2. Dec 03, 22:22

Also, you need to make sure the -lowpri is OUTSIDE the quotation marks, e.g.

"C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X - Beyond the Frontier\xdx6.exe" -lowpri

Incidentally, why are you using the DirectX6 version of X-Tension? The other version would probably run better, and there's no way you can have a version of DirectX earlier than 8.1 if you're running Windows XP...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”