Split Fire and the squash mines

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

apogee
x3tc

Split Fire and the squash mines

Post by apogee » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 15:43

Are there a finite number of squash mines in this sector or do they respawn every time i enter the sector after destroying the previous batch?

I keep destroying about 5 of them, then when i go back to the sector i find another 5, can i ever rid myself of these troublesome mines?

fud
x3

Post by fud » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 15:44

I never knew there were *any* in Split Fire.

I'll be damned.

shadowfang2
x3

Post by shadowfang2 » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 15:44

u cannot see them till u are close ( i thin about 3k or somthing )

so there could be 10000s and u wouldnt see less u come next to them

The Rogue Trader
xr

Post by The Rogue Trader » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 15:47

:lol: LMAO. I found them when I first started playing the game. Unfortunatly for me it was the last thing I saw. I was in a Disco Hauler.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 16:01

Same here. I was cooking into Loomackstrat full bore, then all hell broke loose. I didn't have any idea what had happened. It was literally within an hour of me installing the game and playing it the first time.

I thought I just over-used my ship and it blew up on me. :lol:

Squash mines are foul/evil things.

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 16:03

I have found that by hitting the delete button (the one that lets you step through your property in a sector) it seems to detect the squash mines, that is, up to 5 of them one at a time, even if the mine is a good 20K away. Dont know if this is a feature or a correct functionality though!

GlorfindelX
x3ap

Post by GlorfindelX » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 16:28

I think mines appear on the sector map but are not listed in the ships list. Not completely sure of that though.

/Offtopic

Once in Loomanckstrat's, I was flying around and got ambushed when I activated my jumpdrive to escape. At the very last second, my ship hit a mine, and blew up exactly as I jumped. I crossed my fingers hoping that I would survive, but when the sector loaded it was straight to the End sign. Guess I was a little late.

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 17:59

On another point about those mines, if i shoot a mosquito at them, it almost, but not quite destroys the mine. If i shoot another missile at it, the missile often gets lost and fails to make its target. You can see it wandering round on the gravidar, i dont know why the first missile always makes the target but subsequent ones ofter miss!

CABM
x3

Post by CABM » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 17:59

the target nearest enemy button seems to detect the mines within 4/5 Km giving you time to avoid them since the kill you when in a range of about 1 km i think. hope that helps
If life was easy it wouldn't be so fun.

superdandroid17
x3

Post by superdandroid17 » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 18:52

Mine clearance, i had some in split fire was fighting some pirates at the time so sent the knackered pirate ships to thier doom.

I do not think they re spawn have been allover that sector pillaging traders. blown some mines up they not come back.
What this button do.....

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Fri, 7. Apr 06, 09:59

I've found out last night that there are only a finite number of mines in here, about 20ish.

What i also found out was that if you have another ship in sector with you, and it is set to "attack all enemies", then it seems to detect and report mines in its entire scanner range, not just 3-4 k away as when you use your own target nearest enemy keys.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 14:46

apogee wrote:What i also found out was that if you have another ship in sector with you, and it is set to "attack all enemies", then it seems to detect and report mines in its entire scanner range, not just 3-4 k away as when you use your own target nearest enemy keys.
I just had that happen. I started a new game to test a mod, and was doing pirate action in Split Fire and they suddenly appeared on me.

It must be a 1.4 addition, since my 1.3 started but upgraded to 1.4 game does not have this.

gunman127
x4

Long time since the last post here, but hey...

Post by gunman127 » Fri, 14. Jul 06, 00:45

I found turrets set to "Attack Enemies" can target and destroy SQUASH mines evn if you cant see them yet.

Very handy, and very scary too when it first happened.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 14. Jul 06, 00:56

GlorfindelX wrote: /Offtopic

Once in Loomanckstrat's, I was flying around and got ambushed when I activated my jumpdrive to escape. At the very last second, my ship hit a mine, and blew up exactly as I jumped. I crossed my fingers hoping that I would survive, but when the sector loaded it was straight to the End sign. Guess I was a little late.
[Imagining it in a sci-fi movie]
cool :wink:
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

tomten2k
x3

Post by tomten2k » Fri, 14. Jul 06, 02:23

apogee wrote:On another point about those mines, if i shoot a mosquito at them, it almost, but not quite destroys the mine. If i shoot another missile at it, the missile often gets lost and fails to make its target. You can see it wandering round on the gravidar, i dont know why the first missile always makes the target but subsequent ones ofter miss!
I get them most of the time now with a mozzie doubletap...fire 2 as close together as you can and as the first one hits the mine it detonates nr.2 and nr.2's area effect kills the mine.....(mostly)
Kryten rules!!!
5-4-3-2-1....aah..Garibaldi....You're a dead man!!!

Hej Hopp Kalle Stropp

newdean
x3

Post by newdean » Fri, 14. Jul 06, 05:46

1. They don't respawn, as I understand it.

2. A wasp missile killed the one I found in Split Fire nicely. (Built in multiple attacks.)

3. I didn't know there were 20 (!) mines in Split Fire. Yipes. I thought there was one, which I found by accident with the end key or page down key at the end of a combat.

4. If the wingmen/turrets automatically target thing is an addition from 1.4, I need to upgrade. (Been too lazy...)

5. Anyone know what the damage from a squash mine is? If it's not enough to deeply dent a TS's shielding, the other option would be to clear the lane the old fashioned way---with the Elephant's windshield...
Pirate dentistry: Make 'em open up and say "AAAAH..."

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”