Ecliptic Projector Work?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Manohart
x3

Ecliptic Projector Work?

Post by Manohart » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 20:07

Hmm.. whenever I hit 'G' for my ecliptic projector it flashes on and then immediate goes off. Ideas? :(

Tw122le
x3ap

Post by Tw122le » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 20:12

How fast is your keyboard repeat rate? could be registering two hits of the key.

Luck. :wink:
X3 GOTY, X2 v1.4 + 1.03.03. X-BTF & X-Tension 2.1a.
X2 Guides courtesy of Nilof:Click Here
I only play the games, not make the rules.

Manohart
x3

Post by Manohart » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 20:19

Somehow I dont think its a keyboard issue. I don't have any problems with any other keys in game or with the "G" key in any other function or out of game. Are all ships supposed to be able to use the projector? Do you need to be in a certain camera view?

Codejnki
x4

Post by Codejnki » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 20:49

I've noticed that some sectors don't display the plane very well, while other sectors display it very nicely.

Also has a lot to do with what angle you are at too.

Paajtor
x3

Post by Paajtor » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 20:59

For a while, I thought I had that problem too...but be sure, if you enable the projector, then it will be there somewhere.

Sometimes, after just having entered a system and switched on the projector, you won't see anything at first glance.
But often, you will be viewing the projector-plane from the side, which means it's just a very narrow blue band accross your screen, practically invisible.
Try zooming in, without changing your course after entering system...often, the blue projector-plane will become visible, if only barely.

P.s. to be able to zoom in, you need video enhancement goggles installed...it's operated by the Alt-key by default.

Net-FX
x4

Post by Net-FX » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 21:14

Because some of the gates have been 'apparently' moved by their various owners, the EP isn't much good anymore as a navigational aid. I must admit, I much prefer the original EP view, easy to see, great to check where you are, gates ect...

But, I guess with some gates moved and so on, it adds to the longevity of the game a little... Gate hunting... Who needs SG1 LOL.

Dave...

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 21:59

Yeah the Ecliptic Projector doesn't work very well for me either,

I think it wasn't adjusted From X2 (like so much other stuff) maybe something for 1.5 :D

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 22:06

mine don't come on at all after 1.4, no great loss, didn't appreviate what it was trying to tell me. I fly upside down all the time anyways, make it harder for them to hit me, what with the sun reflecting off my shiny underbelly into their eyes.
lIfE iS a bOwL oF cHeRrIeS

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 23:03

the grid it displays only cover the average sized sectors. In very large ones you wont see anything untill you get to the middle of the sector.

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 23:09

when it did work it was completely useless, the unverse is flat or summat? beat me anyroad. :lol:

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 23:19

Ammok Rules wrote:when it did work it was completely useless, the unverse is flat or summat? beat me anyroad. :lol:
lol it only seems that way with how the map is displayed. It doesn't help that the game uses north east south and west for directional tools :?
Do not know how they managed to make 3d space feel flat though hahahahahaha. What would help is when we look at the universe ( or galactic as I porefer to see it. much to small to be the Universe. ) is if we are looking at a galaxy with dots teeling you where everything is.

Paajtor
x3

Post by Paajtor » Sun, 9. Apr 06, 23:36

Who says the X3-universe is flat?

It's devided into sectors, which are connected through a network of gates.
What's inbetween the gates? Nobody knows.
So the connection that 2 gates form (between 2 sectors next to each other), can be pointing in any "direction".

If you want to find out the relative orientation of 2 sectors towards each other, then you need to compare locations of known space-body's - like stars - in each of the two, with each other.
Then get a 3rd reference from another sector, for the 3rd axis.

Collect all data for all gate-alleys, and you can make a 3D sphere....allthough the bad news is, that this process must be done realtime. :wink:
But how to easy navigate in/on this sphere?
And so people make maps, which are spread-out 2D representations of a 3-dimensional world...like the X3 universe-map. :)

Whomever that made and placed those gates, must have realised, that they had to put them on a kind of 2d-grid, to give the "users" a sense of direction (as most of them come from planets, which have a gravity), so that navigation becomes easier for them.

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Mon, 10. Apr 06, 00:15

when I turn the ecliptic projector on, I sometimes get it flashing up in front of me, at a larger scale, for about half a second before settling down to the proper size and place. It sounds like this is what's happening when you turn it on. Unfortunately it doesn't adjust for the varying sizes of sectors in x3 (why not? the map does...) and it's difficult to see in nebula sectors :(
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

dlryan
x3tc

Post by dlryan » Mon, 10. Apr 06, 01:14

The projector is retarded.
That about it, its barely visible, usually only visible if your about 1km away from it.
AMD FX 8core 8150 4.5ghz(overclocked)4x8gb ram, ATI Crossfire Radeon 7850HD x2. Sabertooth 990fx mobo

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 10. Apr 06, 07:35

Dunno why people are talking about the universe being flat. The clue's in the name..."ecliptic projector". The planets in our solar system, and presumably others too if current theories of planet formation are accurate, all orbit roughly in the same plane--this is what's called the ecliptic, and that's what is displayed by the projector!

Gavrusik
x3

Post by Gavrusik » Mon, 10. Apr 06, 07:43

pjknibbs wrote:Dunno why people are talking about the universe being flat. The clue's in the name..."ecliptic projector". The planets in our solar system, and presumably others too if current theories of planet formation are accurate, all orbit roughly in the same plane--this is what's called the ecliptic, and that's what is displayed by the projector!
You read to much sci-fi... The universe is flat... Nuff said..

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Mon, 10. Apr 06, 18:57

nah, its flat. 8)

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Mon, 10. Apr 06, 23:11

Gavrusik wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:Dunno why people are talking about the universe being flat. The clue's in the name..."ecliptic projector". The planets in our solar system, and presumably others too if current theories of planet formation are accurate, all orbit roughly in the same plane--this is what's called the ecliptic, and that's what is displayed by the projector!
You read to much sci-fi... The universe is flat... Nuff said..
So is the earth. Yeah thats the ticket. :P

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 10. Apr 06, 23:56

- the ecliptic projector flashes up briefly and then settles to its central postion in the sector

- the fact that you cannot see it simply means that it is not in view -

fly towards the central point of the sector and it will re-appear

- you can actually fly over and through it and it gives a good idea of game perspectives...

and you can use it to re-align your ship if you have been doing extensive yawing exercises and have lost your sense of direction

( which can happen to real pilots - it's a kind of 3D blindness... you have to refer to your instruments for guidance because your natural sense of direction is disturbed.)
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

snyderm
x3

Post by snyderm » Tue, 11. Apr 06, 04:55

Yeah, the ecliptic projector doesnt seem to work very often in my game, either.

If it was only visible within a certain distance, shouldnt it work when I first get in to the sector via the jump gate? It usually doesnt.

Thats why my current theory is that it usually just doesnt work.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”