What I DISLIKE about X2..please skip if you have negativobia

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bazza
x3tc

What I DISLIKE about X2..please skip if you have negativobia

Post by Bazza » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 00:40

To go along with my positive post, and just so the negatives do get noticed for patches etc, Here's my list of negatives so far (and there aren't many).

+ No surprises here... I'm not impressed with the combat strategy of the AI thus far. It seems fairly basic. It can be a lot of fun however, but in a "pulling wings off a fly" type way. FUN, but not particularly challenging ;) [hmmm, me thinx I shouldnt have said that]. I'm not talking about the Khaak here, just your general run of the mill ships from all races!

+ The cut-scenes dont do it for me. I would have preferred the dialog be done via the cockpit with the great character graphics that are used when communicating whilst in-ship..Its great... (oops, sorry, mixed a positive in there somehow)

ermm, thats it...

Please note...this isnt concrete fact, this is my opion..and as a pom, I have a lot of 'em and feel very free in expressing them :lol:

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 00:49

Sorry, I only bumped this because it disapeared off the board. I think the egosoft server is having a couple of probs...no wonder with all the activity...

Ingram
x2

Post by Ingram » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 00:53

Only thing I hate so far is the 2 stages to docking. I wish it was all smooth so you didn't notice the transition at all! :evil:

Steelwind_Oo
x3

Post by Steelwind_Oo » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 00:54

Having barely started the game I can say I agree with the cutscenes comment. The intro was painful to sit through, really, it's just bad. Only negative I have so far though it installed smooth, configured smooth and is running great.

-TD-13-
x3

Post by -TD-13- » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 00:55

good :thumb_up: err, bad that its in the game, but good review!

One question about the character stuff, I just saw a video today of the in cockpit characters, how much do they differ from the cut scene characters?

gorgotham
x3tc

Post by gorgotham » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 01:13

They differ a whole heap! Where as cut scene people look like marionettes with googley souless eyes, the ones on the in-ship portions look A LOT like those from IWAR 2.

Sunstar
x2

Post by Sunstar » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 01:17

I don't like the crash that ate my game :shock: :o :evil:

other than that it's all good - even the cut scense are ok as there arn't lots and lots of them. :)
TB or not TB, that is congestion.

Dhruin
x3tc

Post by Dhruin » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 02:03

I'll chime in...

I'm having a great time so these are just improvement observations and based on early game experience although I am a X:BTF, XT vet...

Bazza is right about the combat AI, in my opinion. Leaving aside the Khaak (haven't tried them), combat is not as good as other space sim products. I accept it's not the sole focus of the game but it does detract from the experience - especially those that want to play pirates or bounty hunters.

Somewhat related, the pirates are too passive and most locations are too safe. Like XT, I'm sure you can seek out unsafe locations (like the old Xenon sectors were), but generally you're pretty safe doing your thing. I've read (CJ's?) comments that pirates are for newbies but I think they should be doing more...pirating. ;)

The interface is going to come in for some harsh criticism in some reviews. It's functional and doesn't bother me too much but hasn't evolved since XT and requires too many keystrokes to achieve some things. In my opinion, leaving out a mouse pointer was a mistake. Gothic 2 is a clear example: I don't mind the interface myself but some reviews (and players) just don't get past it.

You'll never see a comment like "Gee, it was good...but the mouse pointer just ruined the immersion for me". You will see "interface was terrible".

Finally, a little thing: seeing some recycled missions spoiled the immersion for me (more than a mouse pointer would ;) ). Those same Borons are still catching the same virus 20 years later?

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 09:55

Dhruin wrote: Somewhat related, the pirates are too passive

You'll get no argument here :)

Finally, a little thing: seeing some recycled missions spoiled the immersion for me (more than a mouse pointer would ;) ). Those same Borons are still catching the same virus 20 years later?
The way i look at this is that it's better to have the old stuff thrown in as well as new mission's, plus iirc the rating with the pond scum went very high if you completed this mission.

As far safe locations, how far have you got in the game ?

Dhruin
x3tc

Post by Dhruin » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 12:24

As I said, it's based on early experience - although I'm sure there are some deadly areas. Actually I lost a transporter to the Khaak when I wasn't paying attention today so that'll teach me to say it's too safe. :)

But I still think a bit more activity from pirates even in "civilised" territory would be appropriate.

To answer the question, I've casually mapped most of the familiar Argon, Boron, Teladi and Paranid sectors. Haven't touched the old Xenon sectors or beyond.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”