Ion Disruptors, can someone clarify?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

snyderm
x3

Ion Disruptors, can someone clarify?

Post by snyderm » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 00:42

I was reading through posts with the search option, and I STILL dont quite understand what an Ion Disruptor does.

I know it does shield damage, but is it SUPPOSED to do anything else? Such as damaging equipment or disabling ships, as the manual and BBS messages say?

I am using it on my M3s, but it seems to me that a PBE is about 3X more efficient than a Ion disruptor for stripping shields. That being the case, I was thinking about not using the IDs any longer.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 00:44

Yeah they hit shields, but they fry equipment too. Spend a long time zapping them with ID's and they become toothless.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

snyderm
x3

Post by snyderm » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 00:46

Oh, ok, cool. Guess I need to test them a little more.

Incubi
xr

Re: Ion Disruptors, can someone clarify?

Post by Incubi » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 00:46

snyderm wrote:I was reading through posts with the search option, and I STILL dont quite understand what an Ion Disruptor does.

I know it does shield damage, but is it SUPPOSED to do anything else? Such as damaging equipment or disabling ships, as the manual and BBS messages say?

I am using it on my M3s, but it seems to me that a PBE is about 3X more efficient than a Ion disruptor for stripping shields. That being the case, I was thinking about not using the IDs any longer.

Can anyone clarify this for me?
There is atheory that it helps in capping xenon shiops, but I have not noticed any increase in xenon cappage.
The one true and best use of the Ion disrupter, is if your a fan of friendly fire. :D

rizzo420
x3

Post by rizzo420 » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 01:15

I started a new game a couple weeks ago and one of the first pirates I ran into had an ID. His group didn't do me any hull damage, but his ID fried one of my aHEPTs. Really got me mad since 100+k is a good amount right off the bat in Bankrupt Assassin.
Split Say AAAAAAAAA!!!

Cargo bay now contains: Elephant.

Mazer
x3

Post by Mazer » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 02:00

ID's jump from ship to ship if they are close together so i wouldnt recommend using them around friendlies.

PBE are much more reliable.
You know you have had enough when you dock at a pirate base and toss a couple bucks at the monitor...

Mazer

snyderm
x3

Post by snyderm » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 02:15

Yeah, I just spent a long time zapping pirates and watching thier equipment.

It does occasionally destroy something. I spent about 20 minutes and fried a pirate until he had no weapons. He still didnt give up. "What? 'Just a flesh wound. Where are you going? COWARD!".

Yeah, I cant see any rhyme or reason for this weapon. Ejected.

CABM
x3

Post by CABM » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 02:25

Mass drivers make ion disrupters look silly. I mean lets compare the function of each:

Mass drivers : Bypass shields to destroy the ship. This they can do and on mass(hence the name) they are deadly.

Ion disrupters: Disable the shields/equipment of the opposing ship. Yes they do this but to what end as they will never surrender thanks to the random capping system.

Maybe you could disable all of the xenon ships weapons in their sectors and thus safe passage for everyone without endless respawning of xenon.
If life was easy it wouldn't be so fun.

madpenguin
x3

Post by madpenguin » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 05:57

CABM wrote: Maybe you could disable all of the xenon ships weapons in their sectors and thus safe passage for everyone without endless respawning of xenon.
Interesting..... :twisted:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 08:08

Ion Disruptors have one huge advantage over any other type of weapon--they don't have to be aimed! If you're trying to avoid incoming enemy fire in a big furball being able to jink and dodge as much as you like without losing lock on your target is priceless.

Cucumber King
x3

Post by Cucumber King » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 08:25

Shockwave Generators also have that advantage. But when you want to fry the same target you cant just turn around, then the ionD will lose its lock and find another thing to electricute. 8)

stg1969
x3tc

Post by stg1969 » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 12:57

It's just personal choice, but I never use Ion'D's or PSG's.

IMO they are both more trouble than they are worth.

You may say it increases your chances of capping, but I'd be far more concerned about my Race Rep than a 400k cap.

I dont care how good you are, sooner or later you'll make a mistake and fry something you shouldnt...
Cargo Bay now contains "Your Cold Dinner"

Spandex
x3

Post by Spandex » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 13:33

PSG's rock. Especially for Khaak Clusters. They also work well against groups of M5's and M4's.

Not discovered a use for ID's yet.

CABM
x3

Post by CABM » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 13:45

Wait i just remembered :oops:

IDs are useful for spacefly hunting. Disabe fly then pick it up sell it to split easy money
If life was easy it wouldn't be so fun.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 13:53

CABM wrote:IDs are useful for spacefly hunting. Disabe fly then pick it up sell it to split easy money
Beautiful creatures. Does anyone know their top speed?

And remember to buy the ID from a Boron and then hunt the spaceflys in the front of him. :wink:

stg1969
x3tc

Post by stg1969 » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 14:06

Totally agree there, I keep a Perseus Raider aboard my TL, specifically stocked with PSG's, solely for Khaak Clusters.

What I'm saying is i dont have them as standard on any of my personal ships... and Khaak Clusters dont "always" kindly sit away from stations and other ships...
Cargo Bay now contains "Your Cold Dinner"

tensin
x3

Post by tensin » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 16:18

This nice thing about IDs is in a furball with no friendlys. You can bring down everyones shileds at once and kill incoming missiles.

The amount of shiled damage the ID do seems a bit nerfed from X2; but I keep a pair on my nova. If I know I'm gonna go against a bunch of M4-M5s, the Ions + APACs are a great combination. Against heavier fare I rpefer my HEPTs and a single Ion I can swtich to when there are just too many missiles for my tastes.

Bentrilloquist
x3

Post by Bentrilloquist » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 20:13

In my experience, the capacity for taking out Khaak clusters and missiles makes the ID indispensible. Much like PSG's, I'll grant you, and I'm a keen PSG user myself - as long as you're careful those are the best things for Assassination mission against TL's.

Best advice is to use ID's in short bursts when you're sure friendlies aren't too close - Both these weapons have saved my skin too many times for me to count - well worth the money

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”