What on earth just happened?!?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nelviticus
x3tc

What on earth just happened?!?

Post by Nelviticus » Mon, 1. May 06, 17:05

I've just started X3 after playing X2 for ages, so I've just completed the first couple of plot missions. But what the heck went on? After picking up a monk everything went completely bonkers. First I had to shoot up some pirates - apparently - but that seemed to just consist of holding the trigger down while they lined up in front of my guns. Then there was some sort of arcade sequence flying through a city - was I in control of that? Was I supposed to do anything? I fired a few shots but I didn't seem to be in control of where my targetting square was pointing, so I couldn't tell whether it was just a video. No matter: within a few seconds it cut to one of the most confusing video clips I've seen. Some stuff exploded (but whose?), some people shouted at other people (what about?) and then something happened in space where something else blew up (but what?) and there was some more shouting. I eventually sussed out that - after about five minutes of just sitting and watching - I was back in control of a space suit for 90 seconds. Then more sit-and-watch videos and at last I was back in my ship.

Is the rest of the plot this awful? I don't think I want to play it if 75% of it is watching video and the remaining 25% is totally baffling. I guess I'll just have to start a non-plot game if that's the case.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 1. May 06, 17:13

nope, don't fear ;) There are no more alikely boring moments ahead :)

Andaius

Post by Andaius » Mon, 1. May 06, 20:12

Ok lets see if I remember this....by the way wheren't you paying any attendtion to the conversations?

Ok here it goes from memory:

After your "training" of they rookie's you are then asked to help transport some cargo by the goners. Since the Goners are "peace loving don't engage in violance not matter what" guys, you are asked to man the turret gun since pirates may attack this valuable cargo. Thats the whole, turret view, Yaki Shoot. After that is the landing sequance. Then the cargo is stolen in that sequance, you then leave Saya behind as you chase the guy who stole the cargo through the city. His yaki friends try to stop you, and you man the turret as your Goner friend does the piloting.

As you reach space your ambushed and the Yaki use there "secret" weapon on you (Disruptor missiles) that destory the police and your ship. You manage to eject and then have to get to the True Light Seeker as your space suit is damaged and is leaking air.

Then Another movie plays.

Does that clear it up for you?

Nelviticus
x3tc

Post by Nelviticus » Mon, 1. May 06, 21:04

It does, yes - thank you. After we landed on the planet it really became difficult to follow, I just couldn't figure out who was supposed to be who or who was saying what. Then there was that crazy chase where it doesn't actually tell you that you're supposed to be shooting things - not that you can hit anything anyway. I must have shot up a lot of that city. Maybe it's easier with a mouse: I was using a joystick.

Then the space bit ... I don't know how you figured out that the ship was hit by a secret weapon, but well done! It wasn't clear what ship was getting hit or what ship was hitting it.

Hopefully it'll be less of a mess from now on!

Maju
x4

Post by Maju » Mon, 1. May 06, 21:32

Yep, does get better from here on in - apart from the next mission, one after that and the crystal missions. It has to be said, there could have been a lot more work done on making the plot seamless and understandanle instead of stickytaped and difficult to understand. - or maybe it's just me.

When you finally get too frustrated check out some of the guides. Giskards guide is very good and I recomend it.

Ignore the plot or finish it and then discover how addictive the X-verse is. Enjoy :)

DrunkenPirate
x3ap

Post by DrunkenPirate » Tue, 2. May 06, 00:13

Just play non plot.

penance_of_discord

Post by penance_of_discord » Tue, 2. May 06, 00:44

yeah, i just started the non plot, i had troble figuring out what the heck was going on with the 'breifings' and such. i just starteda humble merchant. its nice, you start with two ships.
23.87 percent of all statistics are made up.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue, 2. May 06, 01:33

Maju wrote:discover how addictive the X-verse is
I bet he already discovered as he played X2.. ;)

Pirate hater
x2

Post by Pirate hater » Tue, 2. May 06, 03:54

TheBypasser wrote:
Maju wrote:discover how addictive the X-verse is
I bet he already discovered as he played X2.. ;)
X2 was the most aditive game i ever played. Even more than Eve online when i was waking up at 4am to do a couple of hours mining to my production going. Wish i was dreaming about X2 again due to stress of exams and course work i had some really weird ones the last 2 weeks for example i woke up mid jump head first into my closed window now that scared me it did hurt alot trying to stop myself i landed on my CD player.

4 weeks to exams and i cant find any way to relax not even x2 is helping any more and i pulling another all nighter to do CW right now.

I kinda gone off topic but the X games them selfs are all highly adictive and u may find it takes over.

Bugzor
x3

Post by Bugzor » Tue, 2. May 06, 04:20

Play the plot without actually paying attention to it..You aren't missing much.

maestro4202
x3

Post by maestro4202 » Tue, 2. May 06, 04:56

I still don't get why they got rid of the 3d cutscenes. Yeah, the characters moved like scarecrows, yeah they weren't all that special. But atleast they had fully modelled interiors of ships and stations (Khos office, inside of an Express) and you could tell that takes alot more effort then a few tiny 2x2 inch video clips. Atleast X2s story was enough to make me want to keep doing it. Risking all these nightmares I've heard about such as losing all your rank with certain races could be interesting but I already have factories every races sectors, and its not worth it for a bunch of tiny little almost incoherent video clips.

Right now I'm supposed to
Spoiler
Show
meet of all people, a Goner at of all places the Goner temple (again), its right after you help Saya kill that TL
and I prob wont progress anymore until I have some M2 insurance which even tho I kill for rank almost constantly..sometimes feels like it wont be much before 2010. :P

Andaius

Post by Andaius » Tue, 2. May 06, 06:44

Well doing that plot isn't all that bad, it's not terribley difficult and it has perks. As in when you finish it you'll have enough Argon rank to start getting M1/2's. Also you'll be up to date on whats going on in the current universe.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”