GALAXY NET - Breaking News - SETA Millionaires Face Total Destruction

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

GALAXY NET - Breaking News - SETA Millionaires Face Total Destruction

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 13:41

Often I comes across references in this forum to the use of SETA
in making millions whilst asleep.

I have one rule, if I'm not going to be at the keyboard, then I exit the game.

So here is a list of things that should happen to those who like to SETA
to make their initial fortune.

After 20 mins without keyboard input.

As usual the players fighting rank begins to drop.

40 mins, players race ranks begin to drop.

60 mins, Kha'ak / Xenon / Pirates begin invading all sectors.

80 mins continuing waves of hostiles destroy ALL stations and Ships.

100 mins players race ranks hits the lowest possible rank for all races including Argon. Not even his mother would trade with him.

120 mins, a special weapons team forces player to eject from his craft and
then destroys it.

140 mins, all hostiles decide to take a holiday in the sun and leave the universe an empty shell......

160 mins a number of super freighters appear and clean up all debris.
then they also disappear for a nice little holiday.

8 hours later player gets up and finds himself in a spacesuit, with the entire
Universe hating him, the GOD engine will have started to rebuild. But most of the sectors will be empty. No stations, no ships, no hostiles.

Hmmmm maybe that's a little mean....

So we left you with a lot a rocks, Hey bang those rocks together (HHGTTG)
SETA Guys. :lol:
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Uzi77
x4

Post by Uzi77 » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 13:47

Like you said, a little mean, but I agree with you. I'm not a fan of SETA. If I am afk its usually only for a few minutes, and I don't put it on SETA. Just for travelling through a sector is the main thing I use it for. I think its more like cheating.
But this is my opinion, and everyone's Universe is different. So at the end of the day, its yours to do what you please.

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 14:31

Lack of keyboard input drops the race rank and the combat ranks.

Early on, I used seta overnight once and made a lot of cash, but both ranks were practically zero on everything, so i reloaded and started again.

However, if i was a pirate, why would i worry about any ranks, i'd just go capping things till i got what i needed. (i do this to the pirates at the moment).

So if i was a pirate, i'd probably use seta overnight.

its my sandbox, thats why the xverse is so popular, there are millions of different xverses out there.

Play the game the way it gives you most pleasure.

8)
lIfE iS a bOwL oF cHeRrIeS

fud
x3

Post by fud » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 14:38

I'm pretty sure your race ranks don't drop. Why would they? You fighting rank definitely does, and that makes sense. You're not keeping your skills up to date, so you lose fighting rank. If you don't kill pirates for a while in Argon space, you'll just not gain anything with them, but won't lose anything either. When I first started playing all those months ago, I'd let the game run overnight (non-seta, same result tho) and only the fight rank dropped.

The loss of the combat rank is enough of a deterrant I don't do it.

Penfold153
x3

Post by Penfold153 » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 14:40

i dont use SETA like that.

but i do leave seta on when i go to toilet or have dinner but a maxium of 20-30 real time minutes i dont think you should be punished for that.

so i think ur just annnoyed people play like that but if people wanna play like that let them thats the beauty of X no ones style of playing is the same.

you seem to be abit harsh just let it go.

i dont care about them they took the easy way i feel pride that i am doing it the hard way it maybe abit slower but i dont care its what you do that counts.

have fun now

bye penfold

paulms1980
x3tc

Post by paulms1980 » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 14:47

ive never used seta in x3, especially when there is so much goin on in my empire! only problem i get is theat when im doin my semi manual trading i sumtimes almost crash into the station im docking at :twisted:
oops

mufflink
x4

Re: GALAXY NET - Breaking News - SETA Millionaires Face Total Destruction

Post by mufflink » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 15:01

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote: 60 mins, Kha'ak / Xenon / Pirates begin invading all sectors.

80 mins continuing waves of hostiles destroy ALL stations and Ships.
I'd abuse SETA just for those 2 features alone :P

Regards,
Mufflink.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 15:03

Penfold153 wrote:i dont use SETA like that.

but i do leave seta on when i go to toilet or have dinner but a maxium of 20-30 real time minutes i dont think you should be punished for that.

bye penfold

Well, that's the thing. It's about 20-30 minutes when the "penalty" comes in with no keyboard/mouse/joystick input. Leaving it on 10x SETA only makes the affect 10X as prominent.

I agree with you tho, it's a single player game, so anybody can play it anyway they want. Everything I've accomplished in my current game has been with me sitting at the helm. SETA is used in travels in big sectors or to relieve the boredom of waiting for a slow ass TL to get somewhere.

Fighting rank is so incredibly hard to build up after Vindicator/Battlemaster, I don't want to do anything to go backwards.

:)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 15:06

I only put this up as a bit a laugh. Personally if I get up to go for a leak, the DOG engine seems to try and destroy 1-3 of my UT's and several other TS's.

So, I don't use SETA to amass my millions. If others want to go this way, fine by me. If you can't wait to make loads of money go capping.

However I do like the idea, that the Xverse might have more in store than "just" a loss of combat rank. :twisted:
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 15:19

huh imo the Seta is just for faster flights.. I see absolutely no point of overnight waiting to get more $$$ - that's imo just the same thing as using cheatscripts.. So it's good those anti-setya features exist.. Lol I have no stations but the plot-given oremine that sucks too so I even don't bother iwth cells - in X2 that damn fab gave too small amount of money anyway.. Imo it's way more fun getting money by XIs, assasinations and just simple caps.. Just trading is lame too imo - better set up a complex, make a good defensive grid etc - this is more interesting and more tough too..

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 16:14

Lack of input should drop trade and race ranks. I believe it's linear though so if you're trading at a sufficient rate they'll actually appear to rise.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 16:36

I just think GOD should zap the ship with multiple bolts of lightning!

Using SETA is not cheating, - leaving the game "on" overnight is.

However I am also strong supporter of equal rights movement for NPCs, - if the player is punished for inactivity so should those trading ships. They pretty much fly on autopilot from one station to another... until I make their life more interesting by attacking them :)

By the way, is the combat rank the only rank that is affected by inactivity? What is the combat rank good for anyway - BBS missions?

Space Tycoon

Post by Space Tycoon » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 16:41

I never understood why people would want to SETA over night... it is easier to script the money in! That said, I can't tell them how to play their game.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 16:53

fiksal wrote:I just think GOD should zap the ship with multiple bolts of lightning!

Using SETA is not cheating, - leaving the game "on" overnight is.
I'm not too sure I see the difference, but that's moot. :) "cheating" in a single player game is in the eye of the beholder. In the end, they paid the money for it, how they play it won't have ANY affect on anyone else. If it gives them entertainment to script in credits/rank and a fleet of M2s, so be it. I personally believe the actual word "cheat" doesn't apply to single player only games, but that's another discussion. My game is heavily modified, yes. But the scripts I've added/made, are enhancements. To me, it'd be pointless to just script in credtis/rank. That's the whole point of the game to me, to go thru the ranks.

Secondly:
By the way, is the combat rank the only rank that is affected by inactivity? What is the combat rank good for anyway - BBS missions?
Yes (trade rank can be affected, but not nearly as much as what the fight rank is), and yes. Without the combat rank, you'll not be allowed/offered the high value assassin missions (for example). The reward of these missions isn't the credits imo, it's the substantial boost in rank. They're THE way to gain race rank quickly. Ditto with the Xenon Invasion (XI) missions. Higher your combat rank, the bigger the missions, the more reward you get.

Maybe I'm a sick/twisted tw*t, but I actually like starting over with nothing. I've done it 7 times. I get to 6-7 game days in, and then restart. Using different methods to achieve what I want.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 17:34

I never understood why people would want to SETA over night... it is easier to script the money in! That said, I can't tell them how to play their game.
well it's the way to get a lot of money without using the script... keeping the conscience clear...
actually I dont see it either :)
I'm not too sure I see the difference, but that's moot. "cheating" in a single player game is in the eye of the beholder.
Exactly. Well I just wanted to comment on the above comments about "cheating" with SETA. I meant it's not "cheating", and even if it was, you were kinda cheating youself :)

Without the combat rank, you'll not be allowed/offered the high value assassin missions (for example). The reward of these missions isn't the credits imo, it's the substantial boost in rank. They're THE way to gain race rank quickly.
Alright, good, I'll not neglect my combat rank. I think I am "combat chief 70-80%" or something,... maybe it's high enough to get some good missions...

Uzi77
x4

Post by Uzi77 » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 22:48

I thought that there would be a lot of people defending SETA-Overnight. Apprently not. But like most of you have said, and I mentioned at the beginning;
Uzi77 wrote:everyone's Universe is different. So at the end of the day, its yours to do what you please.

Vetkin
x3tc

Post by Vetkin » Wed, 7. Jun 06, 23:41

I don't know why people get mad at people using SETA. Its a single player game. Not like they are getting an advantage over you and if it is what they want to do they own the game and can do whatever.

Godalmighty83
x3

Post by Godalmighty83 » Thu, 8. Jun 06, 00:04

you can only use the seta trick early on anyway, if you lave it on x10 for 8 hours later on when you have a fair sized empire your asking for a lot of rebuilding when you wake up. that in turn means that it isnt much of a gain for a fair risk.

the khaak dont care about wether your asleep or not if they decide to steamroll through a sector.
Xtended Mod Player.
Boron Hammerhead Pilot.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 8. Jun 06, 00:19

Godalmighty83 wrote:you can only use the seta trick early on anyway, if you lave it on x10 for 8 hours later on when you have a fair sized empire your asking for a lot of rebuilding when you wake up. that in turn means that it isnt much of a gain for a fair risk.

the khaak dont care about wether your asleep or not if they decide to steamroll through a sector.
In my first X3 game I left off exploring the east of the map for ages. When I finally explored (this was before factory replacing was fixed), I found sector after sector in the region around Scale Plate Gren devoid of factories, just the odd khaak ship, and a few pirates. I very rarely saw npc traders either. It was creepy :-)

Personally I think that when people use SETA a lot with a lerge empire the game should change their player name to 'Nero', and a Fiddle should pop out of the screen...
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Optimus Prime007
x3

Post by Optimus Prime007 » Thu, 8. Jun 06, 01:16

I personally only use seta when traveling a great distance within a sector. I don't intend to keep seta on overnight for easy fortune building simply because it'll cause my computer to run hot and have the video card fan and my cpu fans work overtime just to cool them.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”