Hornet missile - the most expensive missile - with medium effect

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tikanderoga
x4

Hornet missile - the most expensive missile - with medium effect

Post by tikanderoga » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 12:54

Did you ever asked yourself, why the hornet is considered as a "monster" of a rocket¿

I still don't got the answer.
Lets have a look at the facts:
Name: Hornet
Speed: 149
Time to live: 80 sec
Damage: 50 MJ
Worth: 10107 Cr

Now what justifies this rocket as a "monster"¿

Let me give you another missile:
Name: Thunderbolt
Speed: 156
Time to live: 600 sec
Damage: 75 MJ
Worth: 8422 Cr

So why use a slow hornet instead of a thunderbolt¿ :?
If you got a monopoly on an operating system, and you make tons of money by supporting it, why fix it?

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 12:59

The hornets description was not updated with X3. In X2 it was the most powerful missile available.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 13:01

It's an old missile from X2. It was the most powerful back then with others being: silkworm, dragonfly, wasp and mosquito. So yes, it really looks outdated now.

Maybe you noticed, but during some missions that come ways back to X2 (XI, Xenon taxi, assassinatons), spawned ships carry those "old" types of missiles only.

tikanderoga
x4

Post by tikanderoga » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 13:08

Oh ok... Yes, I noticed that lots of times, Xenon carry the Hornet missile, also in a base defence from DDRS, the ships heading for the base are carrying the hornet missile.. But even cap ships carry the hornet instead of firestorms..

But oh well.. as long as I got my thunderbolts, I'm happy :wink:
If you got a monopoly on an operating system, and you make tons of money by supporting it, why fix it?

God-Demis
xr

Post by God-Demis » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 13:08

Personally, I think that missiles in the X universe suck ass. They should be all a lot faster, and you shouldn't be able to destroy them with lasers. You should use chaffs and flares to confuse the missile and not hit you. Something like the countermeasures that are used in all fighting games. I fly a Mamba and it looks really silly to launch a Thunderbolt missile and outrun it.
''Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly''

Belgarath
x4

Post by Belgarath » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 13:15

Actually, the Hornet Missile dates from X Beyond the Frontier. In X-Tension and X2, it is the most powerful missile still. I don't have X3, but I guess it's still considered powerful even though there are new missiles that out-class it.
The new PC I just built for myself:
i5-13600k, 32GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3060 12GB
It'll do until I can upgrade the graphics card.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 13:30

I rarely fire missiles during combat because I'm still unsure exactly what each one does. I use the hornet a lot because I know that it is a seeking powerful missile.
Saddly, the turrets make missiles quite useless in X3.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 13:41

i like the missiles. a big selection to choose from and yes it does matter what missile you use for a given situation.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

Etolf
x3tc

Post by Etolf » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 14:24

God-Demis wrote:Personally, I think that missiles in the X universe suck ass. They should be all a lot faster, and you shouldn't be able to destroy them with lasers. You should use chaffs and flares to confuse the missile and not hit you. Something like the countermeasures that are used in all fighting games. I fly a Mamba and it looks really silly to launch a Thunderbolt missile and outrun it.
this is why other games are LESS realistic... in space, flares do not work, there is no oxygen to ignite, unless you supply it in the form of another chemical, even then it may not work effectively as it was intended... and chaff does not tend to spread out like in atmosphere either, so will be FAR less effective...

however, missiles would tend to go faster, so I agree that point...

tikanderoga
x4

Post by tikanderoga » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 15:41

Xenon_Slayer wrote:Saddly, the turrets make missiles quite useless in X3.
All you gotta do is to confuse them with swarm missiles, like wasps. Fire 2 or 3 wasps, and you to 24 missiles swarming around. Now feel free to fire a tbolt or other kind of missiles at a "overswarmed" target. :twisted:

Seriously:
Misslies are somewhere the key to quick success and protection.
It happened only once to me, where I sent a capped falcon to my orca to dock, and a harrier flew by, I didn't pay any further attention to it, since it was on full speed... up to the moment where it started to shoot the falcon :o
I was 10 km away - no way to catch that one up.
With a moskito, I could have distracted him, just to pull his attention away from that shieldless falcon... well... that was one for space dust.. since then, I always carry 20 wasps with me, either to confuse a target or to kick some harriers a$$es..

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 16:35

Xenon_Slayer wrote:I rarely fire missiles during combat because I'm still unsure exactly what each one does. I use the hornet a lot because I know that it is a seeking powerful missile.
Turrets just cause you to "Think" a little, just about every ship has a blind side where you can fire missile at without problems or if its a big ship then going "skin dancing" is the key for successfull launch.

@God-demis
there's only one heatseeker in the game so why would flare of any use?
or what effect would chaff have on missile that uses Image Recognition for target tracking.

Sure missiles should be faster but then again this ain't exactly realistic game anyway, missile speeds currently are somewhat balanced to the fighters. (most missiles catch slow well shielded ships but only a few can catch something poorly shielded like Mamba Raider)

@tikanderoga
Hornet is more expensive than Thunderbolt cause it has 5 times bigger blast radius (100m) and better tracking system (IR vs Heat seeking) as a reference I precent another IR missile with standard 20m blast radius
Name: Tempest
Speed: 156
Time to live: 320 sec
Damage: 60 MJ
Worth: 13,5 kCr

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 23:28

I currently use only the Mosquito Missile.

My best ship is the Nova (which I found floating around somewhere) and use those missile to lure an enemy towards me which is faster than me.
The missile hits the target, the target becomes annoyed because of the 1% shield damage I did to him and he turns around to attack me, but he dies soon after. :D
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 00:00

-Xenon_Slayer

Fairly sweeping statement considering -
I rarely fire missiles during combat because I'm still unsure exactly what each one does.
- Xenon_Slayer

humility925
x4

Post by humility925 » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 00:45

I find them as annoying but I'm glad turrets able to shoot them down, I never find them a fun missiles shoot all over me, I dont like missiles, I has never used them, never want to.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”