Script Signing - Submissions and testing.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

moggy2
x3ap

Script Signing - Submissions and testing.

Post by moggy2 » Sat, 2. Sep 06, 00:17

Submission Guidelines
To submit your script for possible inclusion in the Bous pack of signed scripts, send an email to scripts@egosoft.com containing a link to your script's thread in the regular Scripting and Mods forum and a brief description of the script. The description should include which category the script falls under (combat, trading, piracy, etc...).

Only submit your own scripts, as you will be the person contacted to prepare the script for signing. The signing process can be a lot of work, not just fixing and preparing the scripts, but preparing the documentation and getting it translated as well.

When your email is recieved your scripts will be placed in the submitted scripts list. This does not mean that your script has be accepted to be signed. It's an indication that your email has been recieved. Scripts chosen to be signed, chosen by the script signing team, will be chosen from this list.

The script signing process is to allow the game to be expanded with the best user created content. The simpler a script is, the easier it is to check and test. They are, therefore, more likely to get through the signing process. We may make suggestions/set requirements for modifications to scripts that interest us to make them signable.
Scripts should be balanced with the rest of the game.That's to say, if you give the player something, you should take something else away. This normally takes the form of a financial cost, but may be cost to the player's reputation, or simply making the script difficult to use, or a combination.

To be accepted for signing a script must:
- enhance the original game
- be in a finished state and bug free before it is submitted.
- it must be a script not a mod
- it should help you play the original game, or add new things to do in a similar style.
- not be exploitable (give away things for free under unusual conditions)
- not have a negative impact on the performance of the game (freezes, slowdowns, instability)

A script will be rejected if:
- it is clearly cheating
- it is a mod rather than a script
- it changes established rules (energy free jumping, lower rep loss,...)
- makes major changes to the Universe (major conflicts,...)
- it is way too complicated to be properly checked and tested.

types of scripts we will consider:
-group management scripts
-combat management scripts
-station management scripts
-bbs news/missions
-artificial life
-exploration tools
-piracy tools
-anything else interesting.

If your script uses the {emp} mod it must be rewritten to work without it before it can be signed.

Testing
When scripts are chosen to be signed they will be posted in the [L3] Script Testing forum. Level 3 users can then download the scripts to test them and help prepare them for signing. The preparation can include the preparation and translation of documentation as well as actually bug testing the scripts. The more level 3 users get involved the quicker we can get scripts through testing.

If anyone has problems accessing the lvl 3 forum or needs to know how to become lvl3 you can do so by visiting your profile and entering some additional info. Once you're lvl3, you should be able to see and post in the new script testing forum. Make certain to read the rules CAREFULLY before posting. The rules are different in testing forums and are generally enforced much more ruthlessly.

Bunny
x3ap

Post by Bunny » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 16:55

Here's a question :gruebel:

There are number of scripts in this forum that work around weak points in the game. They are more like fixes or game concept demos rather than things destined for signing in themselves. What I am trying to get at is what would be a proper channel of communication to introduce them to Egosoft?.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 17:32

good question, and one I'd be interested in finding out too. My guess is...

If you want to see it adopted for X3 then submit it for signing and see if anyone likes it.

If it's a sugestion for future releases then submit it to the ideas forum and see if the devs like it.

Bunny
x3ap

Post by Bunny » Thu, 7. Sep 06, 13:19

Thanks, I'll start ploughing through those devnet posts again.

defiant1
x4

Post by defiant1 » Sat, 9. Sep 06, 03:20

does this forum still exist cus id like to help test stuff if i could...

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Sat, 9. Sep 06, 03:46

well it hasn't closed in the last 7 days since I posted this thread.

If you can't see it you are probably only Level 1. You need to be Level 3 to access it, but that's no problem. All you need to do to obtain level 3 is fill in certain fields in your forum profile, name and address and that sort of thing. Once you've done that you'll have access to the level 3 forums

we don't have anything there to test at the moment though. Not many people have sent in scripts for concideration. actually, only 1 person besides me has :roll: .

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Wed, 13. Sep 06, 03:24

Cycrow's After burner script has been put up for signing.

Level 3 users can download this for testing from http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewforum.php?f=34

Chestnut Stallion
x3

Post by Chestnut Stallion » Mon, 18. Sep 06, 07:05

I'd REALLY like to see an after-burner script get signed and put into a bonus pack.. ...

Kurt Shur'Tugal
x3

Post by Kurt Shur'Tugal » Tue, 3. Oct 06, 21:26

what id really like to see signed is sector takeover script and HAT....

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 3. Oct 06, 21:31

well its upto the authors of the scripts to send in thier scripts for signing.

so if you really want to c those scripts signed u'll have to speak to the authors.

but afaik, im the only one outside the script signign team that has actually submitted any scripts.

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Thu, 5. Oct 06, 11:20

You won't be seeing HAT submitted or anything else I have written because currently I can't access X3 and therefore I can't make any alterations to any of my scripts.
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Stevio
x3tc

Post by Stevio » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 18:23

What actually happened to your PC LV? :?

Kurt Shur'Tugal
x3

Post by Kurt Shur'Tugal » Sat, 7. Oct 06, 08:54

maybe the khaak blew up all his complexes when he wasnt looking and he went "Darth" on his computer :D

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Mon, 18. Dec 06, 12:09

Kurt Shur'Tugal wrote:what id really like to see signed is sector takeover script and HAT....
I would love to get Sector Takeover signed, not sure if ES will be signing any more now the bonus pack has been released though, but I harbour no delusions, as a script it still has problems and will therefore not pass signing. But if it ever gets to the point where I think it's 'finished' maybe I will consider submitting it.
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 18. Dec 06, 20:42

afaik, more scripts are still going to get signed, and prolly will continue to do so until the next game is out.

For X2, the last bonus pack came out not long before the release of X3

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Mon, 18. Dec 06, 23:35

I've not been told to stop signing things yet.

There should be a new version out soon, with a couple of new scripts and some fixes for old ones.

There's also plenty of other scripts I want to look at signing, and I'm sure Lucike's got a similarly long list.

Mazer
x3

Post by Mazer » Thu, 11. Jan 07, 00:09

@ moggy: have you been told to stop signing scripts since the 3.1.05 patch or are you still signing?
You know you have had enough when you dock at a pirate base and toss a couple bucks at the monitor...

Mazer

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Thu, 11. Jan 07, 04:20

I've not been told to stop yet.

Heretic666
x3tc

Post by Heretic666 » Sun, 8. Apr 07, 14:21

When I tried to register to level 3 I got this error message:

[ external image ]

erm..any ideas?

LV