are there any spacefly hunting experts?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

moggy2
x3ap

are there any spacefly hunting experts?

Post by moggy2 » Sun, 3. Sep 06, 20:25

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck hunting spaceflies?

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 3. Sep 06, 21:17

Did it excessively in X2, tried it in my 1st X3 game but soon gave up looking for them. IME they don't show as often as in X2 (near roids was always a sure thing).

Cheers Euclid

Colonelnj10
x3

Post by Colonelnj10 » Sun, 3. Sep 06, 21:32

Managed to get lucky hunting spaceflies, but proved too boring and started the Holmberg Republic.

Bunny
x3ap

Post by Bunny » Mon, 4. Sep 06, 12:43

Things are a bit odd in X3

I've seen a couple during combat but it was not clear if these were just the ones released from destroyed canisters
Spoiler
Show
I spent a couple of evenings trying to figure out a way to create or find them via a script but it looks like they have been removed from the game.
It appears capture is now simulated

In X2 things were alot more straight forward. In sector swarms could be located with a script. Out of sector they simply did not exist
Last edited by Bunny on Mon, 4. Sep 06, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

shane-oh
x4

Post by shane-oh » Mon, 4. Sep 06, 12:44

i loved using the ion d in x2 and watch the beam jump between a lot of spaceflies, would like to see it in x3, reckon it would look even better
Don't pull the wings off space flies
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees
A cat for a hat, or a hat for a cat. But nothing for nothing.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 06:13

Bunny wrote:Things are a bit odd in X3

I've seen a couple during combat......
They are hard to see, much harder than in X2 where you could spot a swam from far away.

I think this is the main problem in X3. They are almost invisible. Just a couple of minutes ago I was 'harvesting' nividium in the US east of X534 when I heard a strange squeeky noise. Couldn't see anything so I've used 't' for target. Suddenly target monitor says 'spacefly' but shows nothing. Went after the bugger, pretty fast these guys, but got close as 300m. Could see just a faint picture of a spacefly.

IMO the image (picture) should be improved in the final upgrade (2.0). Maybe also some glowing/reflection effect so that they are visible from greater distance.

Cheers Euclid

Zuocion
x4

Post by Zuocion » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 06:52

I've had luck hunting them, though it requires knowing a sector where they may appear, they've so far in my game appeared in Argon space (1 sector south of Argon Prime, can't remember the name, home of light perhaps?) & in a split sector... I generally have to have abit of luck spotting them, but once spotted, catch up to them, then you can see they are visible, they are more visible if in the background there is a planet with light emitting from it... anyways Ion disruptor it & it'll spread like a chain across a whole lot of them, then its just up to capturing them, you need the spacefly collector obviously, but as said its certainly possible, its just you gotta be quick cause they do sorta get unstunned before too long.

Belgarath
x4

Post by Belgarath » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 06:55

I've been wondering about that. How, exactly, do you use the Spacefly collector? Is there a hotkey or do you just open the cargo bays doors?
The new PC I just built for myself:
i5-13600k, 32GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3060 12GB
It'll do until I can upgrade the graphics card.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 11:18

No, there's no hotkey. It's similar to the ore collector. If you have it installed you can scoop them up like crates (fly into them with cargo bay open).

Cheers Euclid

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 11:32

I've had numerous sightings all across the galaxy, i think it's very random where they appear. They always seem to appear near large roids though.

Zuocion
x4

Post by Zuocion » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 11:40

Augustini wrote:I've had numerous sightings all across the galaxy, i think it's very random where they appear. They always seem to appear near large roids though.
Not always in my experience, actually when I think of it, though I may be mistaken aswell but the majority of sectors I've seen them in, has had either very little or no roids... I have caught them out near roids aswell however.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 12:07

well, technically, spaceflys are attracted to roids. The spacefly hunters you c flying around tend to fly to roids to find the spaceflies

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 12:13

I've seen big swarms of them... unfortunatly I've only seen 3 swarms in a good 17 day savegame.

Bunny
x3ap

Post by Bunny » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 13:46

The god code does have some BBS entries that report space fly swarms in certain sectors. Perhaps they only show up then.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 13:54

On my first Tour of Lifetime, the clients cheered on one sector, so apparently there were spaceflys. Rocky sector, but no combat. And after some combat on another day, the targeting computer locked on one.

Rare, fast, and hard to see. Besides, I'm Boron on the hunt issue. :roll:

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 13:58

If you are travelling around, tend not to see many. However if you stop moving in a sector where there could be some (with roids as Cycrow suggested) they seem to be attracted to your stationary ship and you can often get swarmed by them. Never bothered collecting them though.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Wed, 6. Sep 06, 14:25

It can be profitable capturing them in Split space and selling to the local factories. I normally see them while fighting and sometimes pick them up mid-fight for added fun :)
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”