Firestorm Torpedo... danger or dangerous ?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Schultski

Firestorm Torpedo... danger or dangerous ?

Post by Schultski » Sun, 10. Sep 06, 22:11

I'm not very new, and I've played X3 Reunion for couple of hours...

But something is not within my reach... and I want to ask how to handle it... please send an advice....

On some ships, Firestorm Torpedo is placeable, but how to use it ?
I mean... how to use it properly, since when get launched, it got exploded and totally destroy my entire fleet of fighters :(

---------------------------------
Emperor of the Elarian
Last Descendant of the Earth

Khaak_Hammer
x2

Post by Khaak_Hammer » Sun, 10. Sep 06, 22:20

What ship were you in?

If it was going to fast then you could have fired the torpedo INTO your fighter causeing it to explode.

If you have any questions about the general gameplay of X3/X2 then send me a PM and I'll help in anyway I can.

Firestorm torpedo’s are most deadly but you MUST learn to use it with a tactical mind or it will consume you along with the target.

Mazer
x3

Post by Mazer » Sun, 10. Sep 06, 22:21

when i use any missle other than one special one i dive towards the ship i want to hit shooting HEPTs then i level out and let loose a missle, this reduces the chance of enemy fire hitting the missle then killing you and it also reduces the chance of the ship you want to hit shooting down the missle.

my favorite is the tempest and when i use it i shoot it off between 100 and 200m away from ship, this gives me enough time to book it out of there before it hits.

the firestorm has a bigger blast radius so i would level off sooner and let it go.

good luck
You know you have had enough when you dock at a pirate base and toss a couple bucks at the monitor...

Mazer

SevenKiller
x3tc

Post by SevenKiller » Mon, 11. Sep 06, 12:41

What i personaly do is fire the hammer head/fire storm at range then fly in and spam it with wasp missles so the turrets are locked onto them and they forget theres a nasty missle coming. Works well on cap ships and xenon P patrols (hit the p and most of the patrol is dead) and as the p has no rear turret the missle usualy hits it.

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Mon, 11. Sep 06, 22:27

The firestorm has a range of say 10 to 15km and can damage of 1,000,000 units and a blast radius of 1000metres, thats why your ships blew up along with you.

This is how i use firestorms and there are other methods. Pick the capital ship you wish to hit, as the missile only does 83ms using it against anything else could be pointless. So say you got a J or K you wish to hit, do not engage said J or K but get to within 8km of it, and it will start to follow you, now match its speed so you are a few metres fast than it, now wait till your 10.2km away from it with it still chasing you, now fire firestorm. On a good day five or more likely six will hit in a row and boom, no cap ship. This works if you sneaky up on a khaak destroyer also, although you do not need to get it to follow you if you close to 10km and then fire.

Sometimes xenon shoot them down and never launch if you are being fired upon, my advice. :)
lIfE iS a bOwL oF cHeRrIeS

Schultski

Post by Schultski » Sat, 16. Sep 06, 21:05

Firestorm Torpedo is 'dangerous' then, OK...

What types of missiles should you equip your ship with to destroy most ships ?

I always carry 5 Firestorms with me, but some Wasps [and the latest Typhoon] also do the job well done...

Advice appreciated...
[=] Matsu-Taka [=]
Matsuhiko Takagawa / Schultski Rheindland

Know how to best the X-Universe by one shot?
Push the little 'REBOOT' button on your PC, that should do it...
Try it... it works for me... believe it... it works...

Gumbercules

Post by Gumbercules » Sat, 16. Sep 06, 21:18

silkworms make short work of m4s, m5s that ur able to hit and do decent damage to m3s.

typhoons are good large ship missles. will kill an m3, cripple an m6 and put a hurting on a TL.

szuur
x3

Post by szuur » Sat, 16. Sep 06, 21:20

Ammok Rules wrote:The firestorm has a range of say 10 to 15km and can damage of 1,000,000 units and a blast radius of 1000metres, thats why your ships blew up along with you.

This is how i use firestorms and there are other methods. Pick the capital ship you wish to hit, as the missile only does 83ms using it against anything else could be pointless. So say you got a J or K you wish to hit, do not engage said J or K but get to within 8km of it, and it will start to follow you, now match its speed so you are a few metres fast than it, now wait till your 10.2km away from it with it still chasing you, now fire firestorm. On a good day five or more likely six will hit in a row and boom, no cap ship. This works if you sneaky up on a khaak destroyer also, although you do not need to get it to follow you if you close to 10km and then fire.

Sometimes xenon shoot them down and never launch if you are being fired upon, my advice. :)
Correction firestorms have a blast radius of about 1-1.2 km and can travel up to 100Km far.

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Sat, 16. Sep 06, 21:52

Firestorms won't travel 100km, not even thunderbolts do that. However they do travel a fair distance, but i'm refering to actually hitting something, and not a station either, a moving object like a J.

If the said object is stationary or travelling less than 83ms then the firestorm might hit. If it is travelling at the same speed or greater then it probably won't. It is an awfully slow missile to fire.

I've fired one at a xenon station 75km away and it did not hit and the blast radius is 1000m

Using my technique, you'll hit most J's and damage them. If you successfully manage to hit a J at 50km with a firestorm then your good. But i would point out that before the next firestorm hit, the J would have recharged its shields.

According to Roguey the missile should last for 80km, but that is not my experience, 10 to 15km if you want a good chance of a hit imho. :)
lIfE iS a bOwL oF cHeRrIeS

Schultski

Post by Schultski » Sat, 16. Sep 06, 22:01

Still, the Firestorm is 'dangerous 2x', well I've planned not to use this self-killer weapon ever again, still with my last tactic should do the job. As the Emperor of the EMF, blasting both Xenon and Kha'ak sectors should be a piece of cake, bringing my entire fleets into them and let them do the job...

Thanx everyone for your latest advice lately, May the Maker be with you...
[=] Matsu-Taka [=]
Matsuhiko Takagawa / Schultski Rheindland

Know how to best the X-Universe by one shot?
Push the little 'REBOOT' button on your PC, that should do it...
Try it... it works for me... believe it... it works...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”